Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jobs for Carpenter, landscape gardener, any work?

Jobs for Carpenter, landscape gardener, any work?

Old Apr 8th 2010, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Buena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the roughBuena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the roughBuena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the roughBuena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the rough
Question Jobs for Carpenter, landscape gardener, any work?

Hi All,
Haven't posted for a long time. Validated our visas in Nov 08, went to Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Silver Coast. Would have liked to have gone to Melbourne and Adelaide but didn't have the time We pretty much liked all of these places, but Sydney was too expensive (only have around $800,000) to buy a property; the Silver Coast was abit too quiet for our teenagers; Brisbane/Gold Coast was very hot and as OH is a chippy and son is doing landscape gardening at college, they now have some doubts about working in the heat, which is why I suggested that we consider looking at Melbourne and maybe Adelaide
Can those of you who have had experience in working as a carpenter or landscape gardener ANYWHERE in Oz give me your views please, especially if you have found it difficult to get work.
We have now sold our property and want to arrange the shipping for Sept this year... but WHERE TO GO!! is STILL the big question
Many thanks
Old Apr 8th 2010, 9:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all Carpenters and Landscape Gardeners

Where is the Silver Coast? I've never heard of that.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs for Carpenter, landscape gardener, any work?

Adelaide at least is HOT in the summer. I work outdoors and actually, it isn't too bad. I always thought it would be terrible, but it isn't. There seems to be plenty of landscape gardening work here.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:34 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty bloody hot everywhere in summer, tbh! I think you would probably get used to it - everyone else who works outside does. I was doing crop work in the sandy scrub (not exactly desert) at 32 degrees (OK, some days - but never below 27 iirc) only a couple of months after I arrived and it worked out...OK.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Buena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the roughBuena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the roughBuena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the roughBuena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Where is the Silver Coast? I've never heard of that.
Sorry, meant to say Sunshine Coast , we flew from Sydney to Maroochydore Airport. I loved Buderim but was too quiet for the kids!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:47 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Buena Vista Social Club
Sorry, meant to say Sunshine Coast , we flew from Sydney to Maroochydore Airport. I loved Buderim but was too quiet for the kids!
and I was hoping there was gonna be a Bronze Coast too.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

but Sydney was too expensive (only have around $800,000) to buy a property
What's that, around half a million sterling. Nice deposit guys, I'm very impressed but obviously not enough these days.

ABCDiamond, get on the case, these people need your help to find somewhere in Sydney with a budget of $800K. I'm guessing they want somewhere semi decent and not boganified.

PS. I'm glad I didn't say it was too expensive, looks like people are finally getting da message.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by coolshadows
and I was hoping there was gonna be a Bronze Coast too.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pomtastic
What's that, around half a million sterling. Nice deposit guys, I'm very impressed but obviously not enough these days.

ABCDiamond, get on the case, these people need your help to find somewhere in Sydney with a budget of $800K. I'm guessing they want somewhere semi decent and not boganified.

PS. I'm glad I didn't say it was too expensive, looks like people are finally getting da message.
Was shocked when we found out we could only afford a 2 bed apartment in Manly (without an ocean view!)
Old Apr 9th 2010, 1:35 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Very many jobs in Australia have "award rates" i.e. wages for a specific job which must be paid. They can be quite detailed e.g. truck driver v truck driver that handles money v truck driver that handles money and transports cattle etc etc. Have you looked into what landscape gardeners/carpenters make? (I assuming - possibly wrongly - that there is an award for them).