Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IT jobs in Brisbane (or not?)

IT jobs in Brisbane (or not?)

Old Aug 18th 2004, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough
Default IT jobs in Brisbane (or not?)

Hi all,

I work in IT, currently as a contract programmer for an investment bank in Canary Wharf. Most of my recent experience (last 5 years or so), has been as a contractor or technical lead in trading systems of one variety or another.

We're hoping to move to Brissie before the end of the year (visas pending etc) and I was wondering if there are any other IT people, - particularly programmers or system designers - on this forum who could provide some indication of prospects in the IT field in the Brisbane area, and also some indication of salary ranges. I don't care about whether the work is in the financial markets, or if I have to take a step down initially.

The reason I ask is that the various job forums (seek, careerone, jobnet etc) don't seem inundated with opportunities, and friends of mine who live and work in Sydney are advising to me to head there first. One of them even said that he'd move like a shot to Brisbane if he could get decent work, but doesn't believe he can.

If anyone wants to reply or send a private message, any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Nick (SamG's b/h)
Old Aug 18th 2004, 8:56 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT jobs in Brisbane (or not?)

Hia
Im in IT too, and worked for an Investment Bank near Blackfriars Bridge but on IT Infrastructure Mgt rather than app'n programming.

We're heading for brisbane in q1 next year.

I spotted the following big IT companies hiring in brisbane

- IBM
- Unisys
- CITEC ( Local Australian Outsourcing Company)

I'd also like to hear from any IT guys based in brisbane on how it is over there.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 9:04 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SamG
Hi all,

I work in IT, currently as a contract programmer for an investment bank in Canary Wharf. Most of my recent experience (last 5 years or so), has been as a contractor or technical lead in trading systems of one variety or another.

We're hoping to move to Brissie before the end of the year (visas pending etc) and I was wondering if there are any other IT people, - particularly programmers or system designers - on this forum who could provide some indication of prospects in the IT field in the Brisbane area, and also some indication of salary ranges. I don't care about whether the work is in the financial markets, or if I have to take a step down initially.

The reason I ask is that the various job forums (seek, careerone, jobnet etc) don't seem inundated with opportunities, and friends of mine who live and work in Sydney are advising to me to head there first. One of them even said that he'd move like a shot to Brisbane if he could get decent work, but doesn't believe he can.

If anyone wants to reply or send a private message, any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Nick (SamG's b/h)
Hi Nick,

Am in the same dilema as you. I 've worked as a System Developer (Analyst Programmer, Software Engineer etc ... call it what you like ) for a Life Insurance company in London for 16 years. I'd like to move to Brisbane but have been advised by a Recruitment Consultant in London who worked recently in Oz that for IT work I should consider Sydney or Melbourne.

Regards,

Bryan
Old Aug 19th 2004, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Try this site Salaryzone it might give you some indication of the money you can expect.

The more entries there are the more people who have found jobs in that area and have bothered to make an entry.

Must admit IT has def improved over the last 6 months in Brisbane, but it's a fraction of the size of the market in Sydney and Melbourne.

Good luck.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 12:40 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Hi Nick,

I'm in Brisbane and my Australian boyf has worked in the IT field as a software programmer/developer (Oracle/Delphi) for the past 6 years or so. Hes not overly happy with where he works, but the pay is good (very good) and he has not been able to find a role that offers him anywhere near similar salary and position within the company. He has been scanning jobs pages on and off for a year or so.

IBM are a big employer in the area (boyf used to work for them) but I believe recently they outsourced a lot of their work. You could try some of the large telecomm companys perhaps; Telstra, Optus, Three also if you check out Suncorp their careers page is usually quite good and varied.

Last edited by mlbonner; Aug 19th 2004 at 12:45 am.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks

Nick (SamG's b/h)
I'm in IT and contract for a bank in Sydney.

I think there are only two state-based banks in Brisbane and they're small compared to the rest. All the big banks, plus the smaller investment banks are in Sydney or Melbourne so if your IT experience is mainly financial you're pretty much limited to those cities.

Last edited by NickyC; Aug 19th 2004 at 3:18 am.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road

I live in Perth but I'm told that the IT markets in Perth and Brisbane are roughly comparable.

From what I have found out first hand (and have been told by people in Bribane) is that the IT job pool is small and both places are very insular and this is especially true for management jobs. Its a bit of a boys club where everyone knows everyone else and "outsiders" can struggle to break in. It took me ages to get an interview but as soon as I did, I got the job. Not coincidentally, I was already working at the place where I got the IT Managers job so I was a "known commodity" and I'm sure this is why I was able to get an interview and kick on from there.

Sydney and Melbourne would obviously be better bets for IT work but obviously the cost of living would be higher and etc..etc...
Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:44 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Thanks

Nick (SamG's b/h)
Most investment banking is in Sydney as that is where the ASX, RBA are based. There is a banking sector in Melbourne but elsewhere it is the regional banks. I work in North Ryde and nearby is the main tech cluster including Microsoft, Avaya, Fujitsu, Siemens, Erikkson, HP etc.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 9:00 am
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bondipom
Most investment banking is in Sydney as that is where the ASX, RBA are based. There is a banking sector in Melbourne but elsewhere it is the regional banks. I work in North Ryde and nearby is the main tech cluster including Microsoft, Avaya, Fujitsu, Siemens, Erikkson, HP etc.
You mention Siemens....do you happen to know what kind of IT stuff they do there? I would be interest in the Medical devision (MRI/CT/etc - software development or image processing research).

Cheers,