IT Jobs - Brisbane

IT Jobs - Brisbane

Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

mr_baz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT Jobs - Brisbane

Hi all,

Its my first post here so be gentle

In a nutshell we (me, wife and toddler) are considering migrating to Oz, more specifically Brisbane (recce coming up soon hopefully). Our concern at this stage is the wages over there. We obviously don't want to move and be worse off.

I am nearly a 30-something (gulp!) in IT, 10 years+ experience network and Microsoft systems admin (couple of MCP's currently looking to add CCNA), I have a very wide skill set and would like to get an idea of the salaries - the trouble is a lot of the IT agencies/job sites don't list the salaries.

Can anyone recommend an agency that I can get my CV looked over by or any other job sites please? I am also looking to tailor myself with a relevant certification (hence the CCNA) to up my 'value'!

Any words of wisdom anyone?!

Hope this makes sense and not too rambly!

Thanks in advance,

Baz
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:55 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Jobs - Brisbane

From a 40 something in IT... Read the hays salary report

http://hays.com.au/salary/pdfs06/Inf...Technology.pdf

I get the idea that Agencies are worse than uk. They are only interest if they can place you then and there.

Have a look around seek.com.au

http://www.bowdens.com.au/ are based in brisbane, and at least reply when I asked what a job rate was on their site, even through I'm 10,000 miles away.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:05 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where abouts you are in the UK if your earning in London im afraid Brisbane wont even come close salary wise (unless your very lucky).

I'm in IT and from Nottingham I earn about twice my salary there but it seems I have less disposable cash than before once the essentials are taken out.

Take a look at the earnings thread below there are a few IT bods but it doesnt paint a good picture.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426213

Cheers
TT
Old Feb 14th 2007, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

DavidShea is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I'm in IT (games), and I'm on about two thirds of what I was on in the UK (Brighton.) The games industry is at the lower end of the IT pile though.

However, it's not all about absolute salary levels - as I've said before in other threads, we don't feel quite as poor as we did in the UK, but can't totally explain why!

Dave x
Old Feb 15th 2007, 1:35 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

This should give you an idea of contractor rates:

Brainbox Contractor Rates Survey

Big.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Thats great guys thanks. I'm not in London but not too far out so there may be a quite difference.

I know the money is going to be different but i dont want to have so little cash there that we cant enjoy the new lifestyle.

I guess I need to look into the cost of living to see how it compares (I'm sure there are plenty of threads on this!) to what we have now.

Thanks again for your help guys, I do appreciate it.

Baz
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:23 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane cost of living thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382892
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Mate, always remember the cost of living has nothing to do with the quality of life.
I am earning far less here than I would have in the UK but I wouldn't go back to the UK if you paid me 4 times the amount I earn here.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Kevin - I think thst you just hit the nail on the head mate. Its the reason we are wanting to do this!!!!! Cheers!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:35 pm
him
token local

him has a spectacular aura abouthim has a spectacular aura abouthim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mr_baz
Hi all,

Its my first post here so be gentle

In a nutshell we (me, wife and toddler) are considering migrating to Oz, more specifically Brisbane (recce coming up soon hopefully). Our concern at this stage is the wages over there. We obviously don't want to move and be worse off.

I am nearly a 30-something (gulp!) in IT, 10 years+ experience network and Microsoft systems admin (couple of MCP's currently looking to add CCNA), I have a very wide skill set and would like to get an idea of the salaries - the trouble is a lot of the IT agencies/job sites don't list the salaries.

Can anyone recommend an agency that I can get my CV looked over by or any other job sites please? I am also looking to tailor myself with a relevant certification (hence the CCNA) to up my 'value'!

Any words of wisdom anyone?!

Hope this makes sense and not too rambly!

Thanks in advance,

Baz
Have a look here

www.whirlpool.net.au

you need to join to view all forums there... some of the posters there are jerks but some are ok and quite helpful

also have a look at this site for jobs

www.seek.com.au

I was in IT in SE Qld for 14 years until made redundant then left the industry completely and have not missed it at all.

Good Luck
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:41 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Mate, always remember the cost of living has nothing to do with the quality of life.
I am earning far less here than I would have in the UK but I wouldn't go back to the UK if you paid me 4 times the amount I earn here.
How about 5?
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
How about 5?
Money wouldn't make me go back, I love the laid back queensland people and the relaxing pace of my workplace.

I only wished we'd come here years ago
Old Feb 17th 2007, 8:56 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Money wouldn't make me go back, I love the laid back queensland people and the relaxing pace of my workplace.

I only wished we'd come here years ago
You don't work at Harvey Norman do you?
Old Feb 17th 2007, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
You don't work at Harvey Norman do you?
No, why do you say that?

I'm not a shop worker, I work in IT