Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

jobs in australia

jobs in australia

Old Aug 21st 2007, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

off2ozzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default jobs in australia

how many people have a job to go to or did you wait until you got there before looking for a job.are the wages in relation to cost of living better or worse than the uk.last question ,is it a must for brits to buy the biggest 4 x 4 they can get their hands on or do they buy cars similar to the ones they had in the uk

cheers daz
Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice
Default Re: jobs in australia

Originally Posted by off2ozzy
how many people have a job to go to or did you wait until you got there before looking for a job.are the wages in relation to cost of living better or worse than the uk.last question ,is it a must for brits to buy the biggest 4 x 4 they can get their hands on or do they buy cars similar to the ones they had in the uk

cheers daz
hi

hubby hasn't got a job but would like to have one before we go next year

he also wants a big 4 x 4, i'll settle for a toyota rav4
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

tazkenny is an unknown quantity at this point

I luckily have a job waiting for me when I get over, but it wasn't the easiest thing to get by being in the UK. I get the impression I could of got a lot of interest if I had been over there in person. for me the wages will be a lot more than I get in the UK, but I don't believe that's common - although renting a house will be twice as expensive as my mortgage.

4x4, no chance. Will keep to myself what I think of drivers of them.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

I see you're a biker like me tazkenny so you probably think the same of 'most' 4x4 drivers as I do
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:03 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

We both turned up with no jobs. I had one secured within 2 days (along with several other offers) - same wage as UK pretty much so I was happy.

We are in pretty central Sydney and are finding the cost of living cheaper than the UK (Manchester) generally. It's close though.

We bought a new Focus and yes there are lots of 'normal' cars around. I think Ausralians are beginning to realise that running a 4 litre gas guzzler in the city is a pretty costly and pointless excersise.

Graham
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by off2ozzy

cheers daz
We both came out with no jobs but the two of us have have secured jobs within 2 very leisurely months on equal wages to that in the UK.Had a Peugeot 306 1.9td in England ,now drive a Honda Jazz1.5vti
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:46 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tazkenny
4x4, no chance. Will keep to myself what I think of drivers of them.
You're emigrating to the wrong country if you have a problem with 4x4s ...
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 8:10 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

no job - did make contacts before moving with no success, then offered a job in Melbourne (we just arrived in syd with container to follow, so declined), then within 3wks for same Co OH worked for in UK with v similar role.
less wages & bonus prospects, less hols.
wagon now (saloon in UK), bigger family & good for diving (if I ever do any), but would have no prob getting 4x4.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

wullieb1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by walaj
no job - did make contacts before moving with no success, then offered a job in Melbourne (we just arrived in syd with container to follow, so declined), then within 3wks for same Co OH worked for in UK with v similar role.
less wages & bonus prospects, less hols.
wagon now (saloon in UK), bigger family & good for diving (if I ever do any), but would have no prob getting 4x4.
I have a job before i plan on flying.

Wages are about a third more than i'm earning in the UK.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch

So true...they are everywhere
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 12:17 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hutch
I think the wrong country would be Canada! There are way more 4x4's there
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 12:22 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We arrived with no jobs. It took my husband about 2 weeks to secure a job, mostly because he had to have one phone interview and one on site interview for two different jobs.

Basically the same pay, although here he gets 4 weeks paid vacation which is more than he got in Canada. We've heard if he went to Perth he could have made twice his current salary. But then our housing costs would be more and my husband would have been working away from home for over a week at a time. Oh yah, he's a mining engineer.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:36 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
We arrived with no jobs. It took my husband about 2 weeks to secure a job, mostly because he had to have one phone interview and one on site interview for two different jobs.

Basically the same pay, although here he gets 4 weeks paid vacation which is more than he got in Canada. We've heard if he went to Perth he could have made twice his current salary. But then our housing costs would be more and my husband would have been working away from home for over a week at a time. Oh yah, he's a mining engineer.
But you could have been close to me. My husband travels about 1 week per month too. We could have kept each other company when the boys were away.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:53 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by Dorothy
But you could have been close to me. My husband travels about 1 week per month too. We could have kept each other company when the boys were away.
True, but then you weren't in Perth then

Actually he would have been gone at least 2-3 weeks per month depending on schedule since all the jobs for him there are fly in fly out. Because of this Perth was our last option.