jobs

Old Jul 10th 2004, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

malpjc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default jobs

it;'s me again,
during the last few weeks i have read posts describing how difficult it is to find work for people that have migrated to australia,there must be some of you that have managed to find work,can you let us know of your experiences please,thanks
Old Jul 11th 2004, 12:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of it is positive attitude, and some of it is luck. I came over knowing we couldn't survive for long without me having work, and I applied for every job I was conceivably capable of doing.My second interview, after being here 3 weeks, landed me a job sorting Christmas mail for Australia Post - not a wonderful job, but it was a job. Kept applying whie working and got one to start 2 weeks after the other finished.
Its just office admin, I'm bored silly and it pays peanuts, but its a job, and i can do it while looking for something else.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

malpjc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
I think a lot of it is positive attitude, and some of it is luck. I came over knowing we couldn't survive for long without me having work, and I applied for every job I was conceivably capable of doing.My second interview, after being here 3 weeks, landed me a job sorting Christmas mail for Australia Post - not a wonderful job, but it was a job. Kept applying whie working and got one to start 2 weeks after the other finished.
Its just office admin, I'm bored silly and it pays peanuts, but its a job, and i can do it while looking for something else.
hi pollyana,
good for you,that is exactly the right attitude to have and your experience is how we imagine it will be for us.some of the posts i have read made it seem like there was no chance whatsoever of finding work but if you are prepared to keep looking and do anything until the right job comes along then at least you are surviving and keeping the dream alive.i wish you the very best of luck for the future.
i know there are others out there who do go to every job interview without success so i am not suggesting they are not trying etc etc,i also wish them the best of luck
Old Jul 11th 2004, 8:58 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thats where a lot of the element of luck comes in. The interviews I have been for, I have been told that its not that I can't do the job, its just that there is someone who better fits the selection criteria. Usually this person has been someone internal to the organisation - thats just the luck of the draw.
Incidentally, if you don't already know, there is a much greater reliance here on Selection criteria, rather than just application forms and resumes (CVs). Have a look at some sites like the govt or local councils, and you will see what I mean. You are expected to write things about your previous work experiences and achievements in order to get an interview, and then the interviews are usually based on the same things.

Have a look at a site like
www.jobs.qld.gov.au and look at some of the individual jobs, you will see what I mean. Not too bad after a while as you often get the same sort of criteria - teamwork, deadlines, supervision, etc but the first few are a real challenge!

If this link works, you might find it useful too -

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 6th 2007 at 9:57 am.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 9:42 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: jobs

Originally posted by malpjc
it;'s me again,
during the last few weeks i have read posts describing how difficult it is to find work for people that have migrated to australia,there must be some of you that have managed to find work,can you let us know of your experiences please,thanks

I used to work for the Australian version of the Job Centre for over 10 yrs before it was privitised, and the best suggestion I can make is...Its easier to get a job in Australia...once you have a job.

The longer you are out of work, the harder it is to get a job.

So when I get back home to Oz, my hubby is intending on going for anything at all, just to be employed. Then will look for something he really wants.

Good luck
Old Jul 11th 2004, 9:47 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

"I think a lot of it is positive attitude"

Pollyana is right.
i had to get the kids settled first. my wife had her job waiting till we got here.
that left me to get the kids in line. my son who is 20 had a job within a week after one interview.
i started looking a few weeks ago. i had the attitude that i would find work !!!
i managed to get an interview within the first 2 days. turns out the job was just to fill in for someone for 3 weeks. next day i went out again looking.
while i was dong that i was on the net looking at companies that i liked. i just sent them my CV.
i got 2 answers the next morn. with 2 intreviews.
went for the first and liked what i seen.
took the job and i start in the morning
pollys right about the luck too. but i believe that u make your own luck.
so when u get here and dont have work. make everyone else believe that u are the best person in the world, at anything !!!!

i wish u all luck !!!!!
Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:38 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
Incidentally, if you don't already know, there is a much greater reliance here on Selection criteria, rather than just application forms and resumes (CVs). Have a look at some sites like the govt or local councils, and you will see what I mean. You are expected to write things about your previous work experiences and achievements in order to get an interview, and then the interviews are usually based on the same things.
Hi Poly,
Would you say it's similar to the selection process the top UK companies use to recruit for their graduate schemes. They are not really interested in CV's but want really deatailed written examples of past roles and experiences where the candidate has demonstrated certain competentcies. These include leadership, teamworking, communication skills etc. After this there is usually a telephone and/or panel interview and sucessful progression goes onto an assessment day or 2 days which include pschycometric profiling, more interviews, role play, team exercises, maths, problem solving, english tests and intray execises. After all that there is usually another final interview.

The whole process is very time consuming and drawn out but the most important thing I found was to present a really strong initial application, they recieve so many applications and can afford to be very selective.

ACE
Old Jul 11th 2004, 12:52 pm
Home and Happy

Originally posted by ACE
Hi Poly,
Would you say it's similar to the selection process the top UK companies use to recruit for their graduate schemes. They are not really interested in CV's but want really deatailed written examples of past roles and experiences where the candidate has demonstrated certain competentcies. These include leadership, teamworking, communication skills etc. After this there is usually a telephone and/or panel interview and sucessful progression goes onto an assessment day or 2 days which include pschycometric profiling, more interviews, role play, team exercises, maths, problem solving, english tests and intray execises. After all that there is usually another final interview.

The whole process is very time consuming and drawn out but the most important thing I found was to present a really strong initial application, they recieve so many applications and can afford to be very selective.

ACE
I guess it is really. Obviously I'm talking about a lower level, but I have had to do Word and Excel tests for all the jobs I've gone for. Thats in addition to having to do these selection criteria to go in with the application. As you go higher up you have to do presentations and stuff, I've been told that. Yet no-one has asked to see certificates or anything. I would say there is far more emphasis on what you have proved you can do, rather than what bits of paper say you can do.
Definitely put in the work on the initial application - that is what they use to pull people for interview, and most of the adverts say - "if you do not address the selection criteria we will not consider your application" or words to that effect.

Heres an example - current Govt Admin job, level 3, so thats about $45k.
The selection criteria that they want you to answer are:

1. Demonstrated ability to provide quality clerical support relevant to operations, including the ability to effectively plan and manage administrative tasks and undertake basic research and analysis.
2. Demonstrated ability to set priorities, assist with projects and achieve results within a tight deadline.
3. Demonstrated ability to work autonomously or as a member of a professional team to deliver a client focused service.
4. Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and liaise with staff at all levels.
5. Demonstrated ability to operate a range of computer software including word processing, databases, graphics, spreadsheets and effective keyboard skills.

Some of them limit the number of words - the police for example want no more than 500 words per criteria.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ACE
Hi Poly,

ACE
I'm familiar with job interviews for Public Service jobs, They have to follow a pre-set and rigid procedure to ensure that there's no supposed bias towards one candidate or another (ha ha).

You have to address and fit all the selection criteria in your application (even the wierd ones about being familiar with OHSS issues/affirmative action/lastest buzzwords etc). You'll only get an interview if every item is satifactorily addressed. Interviews are usually conducted by a panel which would include an 'independent' person and everyone is asked the same questions.

In the public service, if someone has left or moved from a position, an internal person will be drafted in to do the job temporarily. The job then legally has to be advertised. In most cases the whole selection process is a waste of time because the temp person will always get it if they apply (they'll always be able to fit the selection criteria better than an outsider as they're doing the job already).

That's not to say that it's impossible to get a public service job - it's just that in most cases the job has really been filled long before it's advertised.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 1:10 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

I take it you know what short-listing is then, nickyc?
Old Jul 11th 2004, 2:13 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: jobs

Originally posted by malpjc
it;'s me again,

I have emailed loads of Australian companies and employment agencies. I have had several interested parties and two companies have said they will garantee me a job on arrival!!

So I think you can do a lot of research and line a few things up before you get there.

However on the downside I know there are an awful lot of long term unemployed in Australia (Migrants and Australians) thats why a lot of Australians come to Europe.

A lot depends on what you can do, and are qualified to do in Australia.

PJ
Old Jul 11th 2004, 8:51 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Polyanna and Nicky thanks for your replies.

I went through the whole recruitment process for the BT graduate fasttrack scheme, it was gruelling and the commute was horrible. I was offered a position, great package, career progression etc which would have been a good opportunity if we were staying in the UK but not really much use or what I wanted to do in Oz. I decided that I would like to be able to spend more time with my boys (1 and 8) and thought i'd be better off teaching, I will be starting a Post Grad Cert in Ed in September. I realised that I absolutely love teaching and from all acounts there seems to be less testing and paperwork in Oz so it should be even more enjoyable out there.

ACE