IT Jobs

Old May 31st 2004, 8:40 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by RichyT23
I am currently working with unix/linux,AS400,SQL, dable in ingres and oracle but have no formal qualifications in these yet.
I am currently studying for a MSCE so hopefully this will help.
As RichS says, getting in on IT skills is getting harder and harder, so you may want to consider getting an RPL for the ACS (too many b****y acronyms, aargh, that's a Recognition of Prior Learning and the Australian Computer Society) which is essentially a very detailed description of your experience and capabilities, broken down into sections (some technical, some not) that the ACS expects. It's extraordinarily tediously hard work but worth it in the end (as others round here will testify) and could easily make the difference.

Also note that different states are interested in different skills, so it may be that Sydney or Melbourne or wherever may simply be non-starters for you (I don't know about your particular skills, but you should be able to download lists of preferred skills easily enough). It depends on whether you need state sponsorship to get the points.

BTW expect to get stung badly for the medicals. About £200 apiece I think.

Cheers and good luck

MarkMyWords
Old May 31st 2004, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

RichyT23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice, I will look up the acs thingy to see what it is all about

Cheers
Richie
Old Jun 1st 2004, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

You definitely do need to get your skills assessed by the ACS for IT, hard work but worth it in the end. My hubby found that the hardest part, filling in the visa afterwards was easy by comparison. Have a look at the ACS website http://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm for all the info you need, click on "assessment for migration" from the list on the left. You can't apply for the visa until your skills have been assessed, and this also means more costs I'm afraid. Hubby works in C++ mainly, and has a very good job in Perth. He found the job through the website seek.com.au and he still gets updates sent from them regularly. There is no shortage of IT work out there, if you've got the skills the company is looking for. My husband's company is short-staffed and are always advertising, but are struggling to find people with the right skills.

Nurses are always in demand and especially so here in WA. There are always reports in the paper about the shortage, how they are going to be recruiting from abroad, new degree courses being run to attract people to the profession, etc. etc.
Old Jun 1st 2004, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

RichyT23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Thanks very much, I will take your advice.
I'm going to have a look at the website tonight and see what the crack is, I had a quick look earlier but it seemed very confusing.
It's all a bit daunting so far and sounds like alot of form filling.
But like you said, it is work it.

Cheers
Richie:scared:
Old Jun 1st 2004, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

shiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Jobs

Hi there
try web page careerone.com.au this is a great site for employment. good luck with your application you will love it here
Old Jun 1st 2004, 4:53 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by RichyT23
... I had a quick look earlier but it seemed very confusing.
It's all a bit daunting so far and sounds like alot of form filling...

Richie:scared:
Well this is one reason for using an agent. A good one will be able to assess your case and tell you exactly which forms to fill in and when and how much the whole thing will cost. Equally importantly, they'll be able to tell you which things to ignore (if for example one of you stands a much better chance of acceptance than the other). Also they'll know who to talk to if things need prodding along, at either end. Yes it costs you (rather a lot) but you might find it worthwhile. Of course finding a good agent can be tricky but various ones get recommended fairly consistently on this forum.
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

MikeMc is an unknown quantity at this point

Am in IT too - complete with Agent, cant decide on Melbourne or Brisbane to move too. I work in Networks/Infrastructure etc - at the moment most jobs seem Melb way.

Just in process of getting my qualifications assessed (although I am told a Masters of one year/ 3 yrs part time dont mean anything in OZ) - pointless me doing it really - so being assessed mainly on old stuff I dont even use anymore.
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 9:09 am
Bite my shiny metal ass!

treefrog is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RichS
I'll try to answer the original points raised:

1. Yes you need to pay extra for police checks - I guess about 50 quid in the UK, though I've yet to find out.

2. Also you'll need to pay extra for medicals - hundreds of quid. Again I'm not in the UK so I couldnt tell you the cost there. Here in Aus its going to cost us about $800 fof a family of 4.[QUOTE]

Police check costs £10 from your county police office. you will need to get an application form from the station. Meds: you can choose from a list supplied by DIMIA. Will cost £4-500 for a family of 4. DON'T get either of these done before you have sorted out the documentation for the rest of your application as your visa will only be valid from the date of the earliest of them.

There are downloadable booklets on the DIMIA website which you should read carefully. There is also a list of charges and other information about front-end loaded applications. You will have to get on there and do a thorough search for stuff as it's not the most easily accessible site in the world, but all the info is there if you look for it.

Some people use a migration agent to help with their application. All I can say is be careful if you decide to use one and get plenty of references. The average cost seems to be £1800 - 2000 over a 2-3 year period, and from what I've heard you still have to do most of the legwork yourself. You may decide that it's worth struggling with all the paperwork on your own.

Good luck!
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

bakovenman is an unknown quantity at this point

I work as an SAP Basis administrator, what are my chances in Melbourne, websites seem to have some jobs but I don't know the agencies that deal with contracts, anyone got any info on this or SAP in Melbourne in general?

Best Regards,

A
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bakovenman
I work as an SAP Basis administrator, what are my chances in Melbourne, websites seem to have some jobs but I don't know the agencies that deal with contracts, anyone got any info on this or SAP in Melbourne in general?

Best Regards,

A

Well I know the Siebel employment environment in Melbourne has really picked up in the last 6 months. I'd assume SAP would be experiencing a similar rebound.

JTL
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MikeMc
Am in IT too - complete with Agent, cant decide on Melbourne or Brisbane to move too. I work in Networks/Infrastructure etc - at the moment most jobs seem Melb way.

Just in process of getting my qualifications assessed (although I am told a Masters of one year/ 3 yrs part time dont mean anything in OZ) - pointless me doing it really - so being assessed mainly on old stuff I dont even use anymore.
I'm not denying there a WAYYYYYY more IT jobs in Melbourne, and better paid.

But Brisbane has the number of IT jobs you'd expect for a city that size (compares favourably with say Glasgow).

If your skills are very specialized, there might not be a requirement for them in Brisbane, but probably in Melbourne, and almost definitely in Sydney.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 10:55 am
Just Joined

bakovenman is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have any IT agency details for Melbourne for SAP jobs? The websites have permanent jobs mainly, the odd consultant job. I am looking for agencies like in the UK who deal mainly with SAP consultants.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

silkfunkydiva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Jobs

Hi,
First thing is to look at what visa you are going to apply for.You need to see if you pass the points test and go from there.My hubby is in IT and we are applying for the skilled migration,which may suit you.within this there are several categories, Go to www.immi.gov.au & look at form 47SK.Then you will need to have your skills assessed by the Australian computer society -cost $350 (£136.00 approx) medical from £200, Police check is only £10,you can download all the forms from the internet.
Good Luck
Hazel
Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by bakovenman
Does anyone have any IT agency details for Melbourne for SAP jobs? The websites have permanent jobs mainly, the odd consultant job. I am looking for agencies like in the UK who deal mainly with SAP consultants.
Try Diversiti - it's part of Accenture. They often look for contractors for the more technical roles which they can't fulfill with their analysts/consultants. They should have some SAP posts in Melbourne and Sydney.

http://www.diversiti.com.au/default.asp

Best of luck,
Mrs JTL
Old Jun 4th 2004, 4:12 pm
mickj

You might want to give Adecco and all them lot, they must have offices there.

Accenture.....AKA anderson consulting, remember what happened to them :scared:

Originally posted by JackTheLad
Try Diversiti - it's part of Accenture. They often look for contractors for the more technical roles which they can't fulfill with their analysts/consultants. They should have some SAP posts in Melbourne and Sydney.

http://www.diversiti.com.au/default.asp

Best of luck,
Mrs JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.