IT Jobs

Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:02 pm
Tej
Just Joined

Tej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT Jobs

I will be looking for IT work as a Systems Accountant/Business Analyst in Sydney.

Does anyone know what the pay rates are.

I am currently on a package of £40,000. How would this compare in Sydney job market.

Has anyone got ideas on the contract or perm market and what agencies I should use. I would like to hear from anyone who has some tips or ideas on the job search.

Could I start now if i am going out in 2 months time?

Thanks

Tej
Old Jan 9th 2004, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future
Default Re: IT Jobs

On the Go Matilda cost of living calculator (http://gomatilda.com/calculator/index.cfm), you would need equivalent of ~£29,000 in Sydney.

Advice seems to be to network/develop own contacts and only rely on agencies as a last resort. There is always www.jobserve.com.au and www.seek.com.au

When I was in Sydney spoke to a few people who knew Oz programmers/analysts who had not worked for over 12 months. Market is tough. Likely to be at least the same for new arrivals. I am also in IT and personally I would:-

1. not expect to earn equivalent of UK money
2. expect to take 6 months to find work
3. even consider possibility of not working again in IT.

Last edited by ossigeno; Jan 9th 2004 at 3:17 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:10 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Jobs

Originally posted by ossigeno
On the Go Matilda cost of living calculator (http://gomatilda.com/calculator/index.cfm), you would need equivalent of ~£29,000 in Sydney.

Advice seems to be to network/develop own contacts and only rely on agencies as a last resort. There is always www.jobserve.com.au and www.seek.com.au

When I was in Sydney spoke to a few people who knew Oz programmers/analysts who had not worked for over 12 months. Market is tough. Likely to be at least the same for new arrivals. I am also in IT and personally I would:-

1. not expect to earn equivalent of UK money
2. expect to take 6 months to find work
3. even consider possibility of not working again in IT.
That sounds about right. You need every contact you can muster.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:00 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

So, does everyone who is used to working with computers and software (like myself... tv broadcast) have to work in retail or practice their "you want fries with that?" if they move to Oz??
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Moonstar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Stormz
So, does everyone who is used to working with computers and software (like myself... tv broadcast) have to work in retail or practice their "you want fries with that?" if they move to Oz??
My husband also is qualified the same as Stormz, so would be interested in the comments received. Look forward to the replies.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:31 am

I work in IT (tech support) and got the job through contacts. It is tough but not impossible. For media Sydney and Melbourne are the places but as you probably know the industry is relatively small compared to the UK.

Pulling the right strings getting the contacts are essential.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by bondipom
I work in IT (tech support) and got the job through contacts. It is tough but not impossible. For media Sydney and Melbourne are the places but as you probably know the industry is relatively small compared to the UK.

Pulling the right strings getting the contacts are essential.
Thank you Bondipom

It looks like hubby has a big climb then, funny that as it was up until mid-December on MODL list - something is not right. You couldn't recommend any good agencies that he could pursue at all?

Karen
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:42 am

Originally posted by Karen Thompson
Thank you Bondipom

It looks like hubby has a big climb then, funny that as it was up until mid-December on MODL list - something is not right. You couldn't recommend any good agencies that he could pursue at all?

Karen
MODL is sometimes driven by industry lobbying rather than actual demand. I will try and dig up a Melbourne agency I know of. Abraxas in Sydney has some good blue chip customers.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by bondipom
MODL is sometimes driven by industry lobbying rather than actual demand. I will try and dig up a Melbourne agency I know of. Abraxas in Sydney has some good blue chip customers.
Again thank you Bondipom We both really appreciate any help we can get and look forward to your future postings re this subject.

Karen
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:47 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

I could probably get a job with Foxtel easily enough as I know who is in charge of transmission there, and they also use a Drake system which I used for 5 years... .but they are in Sydney and my wife`s family are in Perth and she wants to be there with them.

So, you want to go large with that order? How`s that?
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

I could probably get a job with Foxtel easily enough as I know who is in charge of transmission there, and they also use a Drake system which I used for 5 years... .but they are in Sydney and my wife`s family are in Perth and she wants to be there with them.

Thanks Stomrz

Will pass on your comments to hubby in the morning.

Hope you get the result in Perth that you want.

Karen
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

by the way you are very, very close to where I live - Dartford. How far are you into your application?
Old Jan 10th 2004, 1:00 am

Originally posted by Karen Thompson
Again thank you Bondipom We both really appreciate any help we can get and look forward to your future postings re this subject.

Karen
APEX Consulting was the Melbourne Agency.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 4:13 am
Superfreak!!

How far are you into your application?
I`m Australian, and had an English grandfather, so I`m allowed in both countries. My wife`s English whose family live in Perth.

What does your husband do and where has he done it? I`ve worked for Viasat (ex TV3, West Drayton), the Sci-Fi Channel (Molinare, Soho), UPC (Maidstone), and now am at Kingston (Chalfont St Peter, Bucks).

All of the Oz broadcasters are in Sydney, with some in Melbourne if your on the production side of things. It`s REALLY hard to get hold of anyone in tv over there from here (or it has been for me).

Peter Copas is the guy who was in charge of TX for Foxtel in Sydney a couple of years ago. Don`t know if he still is. They`re based within view of the Sydney bridge and Opera house.