Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"Jobless rate set to hit 9% in 2010" JP Morgan says

"Jobless rate set to hit 9% in 2010" JP Morgan says

Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:14 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Jobless rate set to hit 9% in 2010" JP Morgan says

Originally Posted by IvanM

All I know is that the debt fuelled party of the last lot of years are is coming to an end. The size and length of the hangover is what the markets are desperately trying to figure out.
hmm. Sounds like nothing more than a journalistic cliche to me...
Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
The whole problem I have with this whole crisis is that I never had fun from the previous 'party' of financial gluttony.

:
Me neither!
Old Oct 24th 2008, 3:59 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Comments on the Debt figures like that really puzzle me when the Federal Government debt was apparently reduced to zero not long ago

However, State and Territory Governments are trebling their debt from $35 billion in 2007-08 to around $112 billion in 2011-12. Similar to the last Federal Labor government who, "in the last six years of Labor's last stint in government, national debt rocketed from $17 billion to $96 billion."

It is the consumers, with their recent buying patterns, who have increased consumer foreign debt, along with internal debt.

So the original quote is "the debt fuelled party of the last lot of years are is coming to an end" yet, the facts are that it is the the State Governments who are NOW massively increasing their debt.
It hasn't come to an end, it appears that it is just beginning.

I agree about the dice throwing though
Australian government debt (unlike the US and more so the UK) has been at healthy levels due to the royalties from resources although NSW is going downhill because stamp duty from housing is down. This places Australia in a strong position for infrastructure spending in a downturn as. As you say this is the start of an increase in government debt but good economic management sees you pay off debt in the good times so that you can borrow when the going gets tough.

Household debt is the issue for Australia and has consistently been rising faster than GDP. The debt has been funded from overseas and channelled into mortgages. Some have argued that the debt levels are sustainable. I think we are about to find out.

Here is what is happening to one type of fund providing mortgage money
http://business.smh.com.au/business/...1024-57n7.html
Old Oct 24th 2008, 4:03 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
The whole problem I have with this whole crisis is that I never had fun from the previous 'party' of financial gluttony.

I never got bonuses, home loan, credit cards, expensive electrical goods, overseas holidays ect.

But, on the plus side Im not in debt
Same here but plenty did.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xizzles
I'm sorry to sound like a skeptic, but aren't these the same "experts" that gave triple A ratings to dodgy dealers like AIG and Merryll Lynch and Lehman Brothers etc in the first place?
Not JP Morgan - the rating agencies (Moodys, Fitch and S&P) were the ones who rated the sub-prime mortgage securities AAA....