Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Vacancy in Melbourne

Job Vacancy in Melbourne

Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

barbiedoll is on a distinguished road
Default Job Vacancy in Melbourne

Hi guys,we are planning to move to melbourne early january 2009.How's the economic turmoil affect oz?is it very bad?we are very worry about finding a job a there and i heard that the economics is going to be very bad next year,dont know what to do now.My hubby is in IT and I'm in SPA and beauty line.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:33 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Re: Job Vacancy in Melbourne

Originally Posted by barbiedoll
Hi guys,we are planning to move to melbourne early january 2009.How's the economic turmoil affect oz?is it very bad?we are very worry about finding a job a there and i heard that the economics is going to be very bad next year,dont know what to do now.My hubby is in IT and I'm in SPA and beauty line.
What area of IT is you OH in? I'm in IT too and we've applied for a 175 with the MODL points and hope to be moving out sometime next year.

There is apparently a very strong demand for IT in Oz at the moment - hence the number of IT-related skills listed on the MODL. My specific skill (UNIX) was only added to the MODL just recently so this is a good indication that there is strong demand.

It should go without saying but demand, on the other hand, doesn't necessarily guarantee employment once you get there. Although IT is in strong demand, there is also a healthy local supply of good quality IT candidates (this was pointed out to me by an Melbourne-based agency just last week).

Despite all of this, I'm confident that there'll be plenty of work to go around when we get there. We have relatives that can put us up for a bit until we get settled so that's a big help.

Have you tried looking at the various job-boards? Have a look at www.jobsjobsjobs.com.au, www.jobserve.com.au, mycareer.com.au, seek.com.au, etc. I've trawled through these on and off over the past several months and they all show quite a lot of IT-related jobs coming onto the market at quite a refreshing rate.

Just be forewarned that agencies (if you're OH is going to be looking for contract IT work) won't be particularly interested until you have your visa in hand with an arrival date.

Good luck ... and maybe we'll see you there! :-)

- CDM
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:32 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

2 articles form today alone that will give you an idea of the mood of the economy for jobs here right now...

http://www.theage.com.au/national/if...1113-66ab.html

http://business.theage.com.au/busine...1114-66mp.html
Old Nov 14th 2008, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

CDM-OH is in IT system adminstrator
DownUnderPaddy-Thanks for the articles
Old Nov 14th 2008, 1:46 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

CDM-OH is in IT system adminstrator
DownUnderPaddy-Thanks for the articles
Wintel? UNIX? Other?
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CDM
Wintel? UNIX? Other?
Unix,linux,etc.After reading the articles about job vacancies in melbourne I'm getting really worry now.It seems like the crisis really hit oz badly,as bad as the situation here in Singapore.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 3:25 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

Unix,linux,etc.After reading the articles about job vacancies in melbourne I'm getting really worry now.It seems like the crisis really hit oz badly,as bad as the situation here in Singapore.
I'm also a UNIX consultant. I'm not overly concerned. It's true that the economy is slowing but there is still a healthy demand for IT. UNIX was only recently added to the MODL list so that should be a good indicator. Another poster here was saying that when he got to Melbourne 6 months ago, he had lots of interviews and job offers.

Just remember that it makes no difference to the outcome of a situation regardless of whether you are an optimist or a pessimist. But an optimist at least enjoys themselves :-)

- CDM