British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Is the job situation on the Sunshine Coast bad (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/job-situation-sunshine-coast-bad-599748/)

ClairePM Mar 25th 2009 4:31 am

Is the job situation on the Sunshine Coast bad?

Hi

We are considering a move upto the Sunshine Coast from Adelaide. Is the job situation bad up there? It would be quite a struggle moving up and starting all over again if there are no jobs.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Swing-Your-Pants Mar 25th 2009 5:43 am

Re: Is the job situation on the Sunshine Coast bad?

Originally Posted by ClairePM (Post 7416518)
Hi

We are considering a move upto the Sunshine Coast from Adelaide. Is the job situation bad up there? It would be quite a struggle moving up and starting all over again if there are no jobs.

Thank you.

You need to be more specific if you want an accurate answer i.e. what type of work.

TGA Mar 25th 2009 6:58 am

Re: Is the job situation on the Sunshine Coast bad

The SC has always been quieter than the GC or Brisbane but the Aussies see nothing strange in driving 2 hours to get to work so a lot drive in to Brisbane.

I'm on about Construction BTW

shark bait Mar 25th 2009 8:48 am

Hi

Thank you.

yep
the jobs situation is dire, esp in construction

ClairePM Mar 25th 2009 10:17 am

Thank you for your replies.

My husband is a gardner (yup 60 point job with qualies and one visa!).
He is just landscaping in Adelaide as there are no gardening jobs here, everything is dry and yellow. We are going for a holiday to the Sunny coast at the beginning of May, my husband hasn't been there but I have and I love it - I am just hoping that he falls in love with the place as well (no doubt there as he likes Adelaide). My parents friends live up there and they have been telling them that there is no work doing anything (well apart for nurses).
We are also on the 495 visa and after checking with immigration (twice) we can move to the Sunny coast but defo not Brisbane. :unsure:

Cheers

aussiedreamz Mar 25th 2009 9:46 pm

I am not a gardner but have been applying for any job that comes along that I feel I can do, I personally feel from what I have seen is the job situation for landscapers and gardners is dire on the sunny coast, I look for jobs in papers, websites and make phone calls everyday, no one is hiring and if they are you are competing with at least 20 or more job seekers. I notice more jobs for gardners in Brissie and Goldie I'm afraid. Your hubby could start up on his own but this will take time and money, I tried this and spent 100's of dollars advertising and got 1 phone call 3 weeks after I posted the ads...So all in all, waste of money, still searching for job

jad n rich Mar 25th 2009 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by ClairePM (Post 7417308)
Thank you for your replies.

My husband is a gardner (yup 60 point job with qualies and one visa!).
He is just landscaping in Adelaide as there are no gardening jobs here, everything is dry and yellow. We are going for a holiday to the Sunny coast at the beginning of May, my husband hasn't been there but I have and I love it - I am just hoping that he falls in love with the place as well (no doubt there as he likes Adelaide). My parents friends live up there and they have been telling them that there is no work doing anything (well apart for nurses).
We are also on the 495 visa and after checking with immigration (twice) we can move to the Sunny coast but defo not Brisbane. :unsure:

Cheers

Like anywhere else, things have gone a bit quiet due to world economy blah blah...

But landscaper in a lush green climate compared to dried up crispy adelaide, is a no brainer for a start.

Does he mean mowing work, or professional landscaping. Right now the house opposite us is having about $50,000 of landscape work done, ( they reckon $100,000, but thats just aussies bragging ) I'd estimate 50K, that guy has been landscaping for about 5 yrs here, has his own style - very important in that game and makes a bloody fortune out of it, we used to live next door to him. The rest of the street bar us and one other bloke all pay to get gardens mowed once a fortnight.

However as others have pointed out, it takes time to build up a business, that would apply anywhere.

As for travelling, I keep saying that, poms seem amazed aussies commute 2 hours a day, but people do that in the uK dont they, its just a UK based dream that everyone in OZ works 6 hour days and works 3 minutes from home.

If your parents are here you have the ideal situation to get a cheap flight and check it out, certainly the climate makes it worth checking out for you workwise.

ellie10990 Mar 25th 2009 10:56 pm

Hi

Thank you.

sorry cant help with the work situation but I also live in flagstaff hill and loved the sunshine coast,much nicer IMO
hope all works out for you,let us know how you get on

ClairePM Mar 28th 2009 10:49 am

Thanks for you replies again.
My husband is a maintenance gardener and would much rather being doing that than landscaping (he says it is just like labouring). Though he has an interview with a Tree place next week, which he really wants. I have not been able to obtain a job in admin - just had a couple of temp jobs but have applied for every job going, not just admin - everying -about 70 +jobs! Had a couple of replies (saying no) and one interview.

I am still trying hard to persuade my husband, but maybe he is the sensible one as we have set up home here and would have to do it all again, we have also gained two dogs since we have been here so trying to find a rental with them and jobs would be a nightmare. Wonder if anyone could let me know if rentals are hard to come by on the Sunny Coast - especially with dogs?
Maybe Flagstaff Hill in Adelaide wasn't the best move, not quite sure about the place!
Oh well bring on the holiday, I can't wait and when we get back here and it freezing - you never know!:thumbdown: