Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job searching and unhelpful agencies..

Job searching and unhelpful agencies..

Old Jun 13th 2003, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

annalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant future
Unhappy Job searching and unhelpful agencies..

I have been searching in vain for a few weeks to try and find work in Geraldton WA. Looking for retail or secretarial work I have been to a few agencies, recommended by the immigration office and unfortunately I found them pretty unhelpful - to say the least. After being patronised a bit and virtually thrown out of one office for not being a resident I've ended up pretty demoralised to say the least. There was a grand total of 5 jobs in the local paper here this week! I've started cavassing and sending my CV to all sundry but no luck so far.

Anyone got any ideas/contacts etc??? Is it just this town or is recruitment help in Australia crap in general?? (or is it just cos I'm a pom?)

Any ideas or exp greatly appreciated.

Old Jun 13th 2003, 9:19 am
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Job searching and unhelpful agencies..

Originally posted by annalooby
I have been searching in vain for a few weeks to try and find work in Geraldton WA. Looking for retail or secretarial work I have been to a few agencies, recommended by the immigration office and unfortunately I found them pretty unhelpful - to say the least. After being patronised a bit and virtually thrown out of one office for not being a resident I've ended up pretty demoralised to say the least. There was a grand total of 5 jobs in the local paper here this week! I've started cavassing and sending my CV to all sundry but no luck so far.

Anyone got any ideas/contacts etc??? Is it just this town or is recruitment help in Australia crap in general?? (or is it just cos I'm a pom?)

Hi Annalooby,

My sister is currently touring oz for a year and she too found most of the agencies a waste of time. She found the best way was to actually go into places - shops, offices etc - and ask in person. she is currently working in Melbourne for an insurance company and she got this job by going in and asking. They seemed to prefer the hands on sort of approach.

I also know that certain areas are not very good for office type work - Katie tried to get work in Adelaide and couldn't find anything at all.

Good luck in your job hunting. Hope something comes up soon.

Sally
Old Jun 13th 2003, 9:24 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job searching and unhelpful agencies..

Originally posted by annalooby

Small towns are small towns...go to the pub...involve yourself with the locals (but not ingratiating) ...get accepted as an oddity looking for work and then see what happens...

Oh you may need to get pissed a few times...
Old Jun 13th 2003, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Annalooby try

http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/employmentwa.php

Not sure if any will be of use to you but might be worth a scan.
Old Jun 14th 2003, 6:55 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I worked in Geraldton a few years back and got the job through a friend i had made there. I don't think i'm generalising when i say that in Oz you are more likely to get a job in the pub, than in an agency. My friends husband has been out of work for 6 weeks in Gero and he's a true blue! The job situation is not good there at the moment. Just keep trying and good luck with it all.......
Heather