Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job search in Perth was a success.

Job search in Perth was a success.

Old Apr 22nd 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Job search in Perth was a success.

Originally Posted by elmtree
Thanks for your good wishes, everyone.

I'm hoping to have the visa in a matter of weeks ( mind you, I'm also hoping to win the lottery in a matter of hours, but there's no guarantee there either )
FANTASTIC news Elmtree, Where theres a will theres a way hears to you and your family
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mad city fan
FANTASTIC news Elmtree, Where theres a will theres a way hears to you and your family

Cheers mate !

Hoping to be swapping a Failsworth summer for a Perth winter within the next two months.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Cheers mate !

Hoping to be swapping a Failsworth summer for a Perth winter within the next two months.
Theres a Lancashire meet on the 2nd of June quite a few off to Perth gong (I think )have you sold your property or are you going to rent
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mad city fan
Theres a Lancashire meet on the 2nd of June quite a few off to Perth gong (I think )have you sold your property or are you going to rent

I'm hoping to be out there by then, but if not ... where is the meet ? Are you going ?

We're selling the house ( I don't want to give the missus an easy escape route !!! )
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all,

I know there are a few on here in the same boat as me - getting on a bit and lacking in immigration points, so I thought I'd share my experience.

Fast approaching 45 and lacking points I realised that getting an Employer Sponsored visa would be my best bet. So, I got on all the jobs websites looking for potential employers ( management/clerical ) and started sending emails and making late-night long distance calls. All to no avail.

"Ring us when you have a visa" was the common reply, despite me explaining that I needed them to give me a job so that I could get the bloody visa.

After weeks of fruitless calls, I decided to get over to Perth so I could meet potential employers face-to-face and 'sell myself'. Booked the trip ( minus family ) and started making calls again - what a difference ! NOW they were interested and I set up several interviews.

Headed over, staying in a hotel in the CBD ( hotel was shabby-chic minus the chic ) and arranged more interviews/meetings whilst over there.

First interview and I was offered the job ! Couldn't believe it. And a better salary than I'm on here. They agreed to sponsor me and seemed impressed that I'd made the trip especially to get a job.

The next day, after another promising interview, the same company rang me back to say they also had another job that they thought I'd be better suited to, and would I come for another interview with the big boss. Would I ??!!

That also went very well and they offered me that one, too. Now I had a choice of two jobs with the same company. I told them I'd leave the decision to them.

They have kept in touch and told me that they are filling in the sponsorship form and will let me know next week when that's been sent to the immigration people.

I don't expect anything to go wrong, but just in case, I still have a few good prospects I'm keeping open with other companies.

The trip cost me a couple of grand but it was well worth it.

Needless to say, we are now sweating on getting that email.

We have been clearing out and sorting out the house and the carpet fitters are putting in a cheap neutral carpet as I type. My missus wants the house in neutral colours and de-cluttered to maximise our selling chances ( speculate to accumulate and all that )

Anyway, I just wanted to offer some hope to those in the same position as us.

Go for it.

Hi

Congratulations, I am sure you will be checking email regularly

This is a great post and does offer hope to those of us looking at the different options to get into Australia.

I hope you do not mind my asking, but why do you think it was different because you were actually in Australia? We, as I am sure many others spend hours going through the sites looking for jobs, we have had some standard "thanks but no thanks", but also some positive "get in touch when you get here" replies and am willing to take a job hunting trip if I thought it was going to be worth while.

In your recent experience would you say that it is worth the trip? I know from discussions with agencies that I have the skills that are in shortage but are not on the "in demand" list.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Mort has a spectacular aura aboutMort has a spectacular aura aboutMort has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Jasonmb
Hi

This is a great post and does offer hope to those of us looking at the different options to get into Australia.

I hope you do not mind my asking, but why do you think it was different because you were actually in Australia? We, as I am sure many others spend hours going through the sites looking for jobs, we have had some standard "thanks but no thanks", but also some positive "get in touch when you get here" replies and am willing to take a job hunting trip if I thought it was going to be worth while.

In your recent experience would you say that it is worth the trip? I know from discussions with agencies that I have the skills that are in shortage but are not on the "in demand" list.

Thanks
Hi Elmtree
Believe it or not I've done exactly the same thing.
I went to an agents session a while back, had a chat, figured the quickest way into Oz was sponsorship and promptly whizzed my cv around the southern hemisphere.
Got a bite off a firm in Perth, went over there few weeksa go (nightnurse you remember me? i came to the hillary's meet with daunted?), got interviewed and hey presto they're gonna put me n missus through a 457. Will be out in July/August but gotta sell house. To tell the truth the excitement of it all was replaced by a major bout of cold feet once they offered me the job but I've calmed down a bit now and looking forward to the challenge.
Anyway, well done you, nice to see people with the b@lls to grab life by the scruff of the neck.
See you in the shag for a cold one?
Mort
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi

Thanks

Well, I made LOADS of calls. I explained our situation ( wanting sponsorship ) and explained that they only had to fill in one straightforward form, offered to email my cv for their perusal and said I would be happy to undertake a phone/webcam/videoconf interview, but none were interested until I said I would be in Perth for xyz dates and asked for an interview.

I suppose we'd all be reluctant to employ someone on the other side of the world who we'd never met face-to-face - and I think that was the key.

Once there, I found all the potential employers I met to be very friendly and enthusiastic. They seemed to appreciate the fact that I'd actually gone over there looking for work. In fact, I've read in several places that most Aussies believe in giving someone 'a fair go'.

Naturally, there is no guarantee that a job-hunting trip would pay off, but if you are seriously thinking of doing it, do your groundwork first:

- Make sure your cv ( or resume, as they call it ) is in a format that is
acceptable in Australia,

- I found a phonecall was a better way to get an interview than an email.
Bear in mind the time difference - so you'll be having some very late nights
making calls to prospective employers, but I reckon it's worth it.

- In my experience, I found employment Aus agencies to be a complete waste
of time. I must have spoken to about 30 or 40 and they simply couldn't be
arsed, even though I have lots of valuable experience and could have done
half of their advertised jobs with my eyes closed.

- Do an internet search on the company before you phone them. It's time-
consuming, but when you can talk a bit about the company it shows how
keen you are.

- Start making your calls as early as you can before your actual trip. I
mistakenly thought it would be easy to arrange interviews once in Aus, but
I only had a few that I'd arranged over there. If you can, try and arrange
3 or 4 interviews a day ( more if you can ) from over here, as the days are
long when you aren't in holiday-mode.

- Look on seek.com careerone.com and the local newspaper employment
pages ( www.thewest.com.au for Perth/WA ).

If I can think of anything else I'll get back to you. Or you can PM me if you want to ask anything else.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Well, I made LOADS of calls. I explained our situation ( wanting sponsorship ) and explained that they only had to fill in one straightforward form, offered to email my cv for their perusal and said I would be happy to undertake a phone/webcam/videoconf interview, but none were interested until I said I would be in Perth for xyz dates and asked for an interview.

I suppose we'd all be reluctant to employ someone on the other side of the world who we'd never met face-to-face - and I think that was the key.

Once there, I found all the potential employers I met to be very friendly and enthusiastic. They seemed to appreciate the fact that I'd actually gone over there looking for work. In fact, I've read in several places that most Aussies believe in giving someone 'a fair go'.

Naturally, there is no guarantee that a job-hunting trip would pay off, but if you are seriously thinking of doing it, do your groundwork first:

- Make sure your cv ( or resume, as they call it ) is in a format that is
acceptable in Australia,

- I found a phonecall was a better way to get an interview than an email.
Bear in mind the time difference - so you'll be having some very late nights
making calls to prospective employers, but I reckon it's worth it.

- In my experience, I found employment Aus agencies to be a complete waste
of time. I must have spoken to about 30 or 40 and they simply couldn't be
arsed, even though I have lots of valuable experience and could have done
half of their advertised jobs with my eyes closed.

- Do an internet search on the company before you phone them. It's time-
consuming, but when you can talk a bit about the company it shows how
keen you are.

- Start making your calls as early as you can before your actual trip. I
mistakenly thought it would be easy to arrange interviews once in Aus, but
I only had a few that I'd arranged over there. If you can, try and arrange
3 or 4 interviews a day ( more if you can ) from over here, as the days are
long when you aren't in holiday-mode.

- Look on seek.com careerone.com and the local newspaper employment
pages ( www.thewest.com.au for Perth/WA ).

If I can think of anything else I'll get back to you. Or you can PM me if you want to ask anything else.
Hi Elmtree

Great response, thank you for this, it really is appreciated, lots of food for thought, here's looking forward to some very late nights’
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mort
Hi Elmtree
Believe it or not I've done exactly the same thing.
I went to an agents session a while back, had a chat, figured the quickest way into Oz was sponsorship and promptly whizzed my cv around the southern hemisphere.
Got a bite off a firm in Perth, went over there few weeksa go (nightnurse you remember me? i came to the hillary's meet with daunted?), got interviewed and hey presto they're gonna put me n missus through a 457. Will be out in July/August but gotta sell house. To tell the truth the excitement of it all was replaced by a major bout of cold feet once they offered me the job but I've calmed down a bit now and looking forward to the challenge.
Anyway, well done you, nice to see people with the b@lls to grab life by the scruff of the neck.
See you in the shag for a cold one?
Mort

Congrats !

Luckily, I haven't been affected by cold feet. I just hope this doesn't go belly-up, as I've set my heart on it.

Good luck with the house sale. We are tarting ours up now, so it'll probably go up for sale in about a week.

The Lucky Shag !! Yep, I'd LOVE to meet you in there for a cold five or six.
I must have walked around there about 10 times whilst I was in Perth and never got sick of it. Never actually went in, though.

Keep us posted on your progress. ( I'll hold you to that drink. )
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Mort has a spectacular aura aboutMort has a spectacular aura aboutMort has a spectacular aura about

Congrats !

Luckily, I haven't been affected by cold feet. I just hope this doesn't go belly-up, as I've set my heart on it.

Good luck with the house sale. We are tarting ours up now, so it'll probably go up for sale in about a week.

The Lucky Shag !! Yep, I'd LOVE to meet you in there for a cold five or six.
I must have walked around there about 10 times whilst I was in Perth and never got sick of it. Never actually went in, though.

Keep us posted on your progress. ( I'll hold you to that drink. )
No worries
A drink or few by the river, suits me just fine.
Will let you know when I get my feet on the ground
Mort
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi

I hope you don’t mind, but another couple of questions

Can I just ask, how did you make sure your CV / resume was in an Aussie acceptable format?

And if you were not going through the agencies, how did you know which companies were recruiting to contact them direct for an interview?

Sorry for all the questions and I do appreciate your time (just looking at flights for May).
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

That also went very well and they offered me that one, too. Now I had a choice of two jobs with the same company. I told them I'd leave the decision to them.
I like that - shows that you're not just after the 'top' or 'better' job. It shows flexibility and gives them it too - as they may well have internal considerations you don't know about.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

jennylouise is an unknown quantity at this point

this is a fab post it does give encouragment to others,life is to short, really pleased you found success,we should get our cvs ready of to brisbane in august for hoilday i wonder if we stand a chance to be sponsered
good luck for the future
cheers
Old Apr 24th 2007, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi

I hope you don’t mind, but another couple of questions

Can I just ask, how did you make sure your CV / resume was in an Aussie acceptable format?

And if you were not going through the agencies, how did you know which companies were recruiting to contact them direct for an interview?

Sorry for all the questions and I do appreciate your time (just looking at flights for May).

I looked on the www initially, typing in things like 'australian format cv resume'
, but also looked on sites like these for tips:

http://olps.thewest.com.au/olps/employment/home.do ( look at the box on the left under career advice, etc )

http://www.livingabroadreport.com/blog/

.... and a very kind BE member already in Aus offered to tweak it ( the cv ! ) for me, too, and she emailed it back to me within a few days ( thanks, W )

As for not using agencies, I wanted to but they weren't interested in me until I had a visa, so I looked daily on www.seek.com.au and www.careerone.com.au and thewest.com.au ( for WA only ) and a few other job sites and just rang them re: the vacancies. I was also lucky in that I have an old school friend in business in Perth who made some great contacts for me.

It is a pain in the arse staying up late and making calls to Aus until the early hours but I really do think it's worth it in the long run. If you do it, you'll probably get negative responses from the vast majority, but when you get the occasional "okay, we'll see you" it makes your heart lift !
Old Apr 24th 2007, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jennylouise
this is a fab post it does give encouragment to others,life is to short, really pleased you found success,we should get our cvs ready of to brisbane in august for hoilday i wonder if we stand a chance to be sponsered
good luck for the future
cheers

Yes, you do stand a chance ! But don't just leave your job search until you get out to Brissie - do research before you go and try to set up lots of interviews before you go, otherwise you'll be in holiday-mode and not so inclined to want to get the local papers and get onto the internet !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.