British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Job search in Perth was a success. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/job-search-perth-success-443836/)

elmtree Apr 21st 2007 9:59 am

Job search in Perth was a success.

Hi all,

I know there are a few on here in the same boat as me - getting on a bit and lacking in immigration points, so I thought I'd share my experience.

Fast approaching 45 and lacking points I realised that getting an Employer Sponsored visa would be my best bet. So, I got on all the jobs websites looking for potential employers ( management/clerical ) and started sending emails and making late-night long distance calls. All to no avail.

"Ring us when you have a visa" was the common reply, despite me explaining that I needed them to give me a job so that I could get the bloody visa.

After weeks of fruitless calls, I decided to get over to Perth so I could meet potential employers face-to-face and 'sell myself'. Booked the trip ( minus family ) and started making calls again - what a difference ! NOW they were interested and I set up several interviews.

Headed over, staying in a hotel in the CBD ( hotel was shabby-chic minus the chic ) and arranged more interviews/meetings whilst over there.

First interview and I was offered the job ! Couldn't believe it. And a better salary than I'm on here. They agreed to sponsor me and seemed impressed that I'd made the trip especially to get a job.

The next day, after another promising interview, the same company rang me back to say they also had another job that they thought I'd be better suited to, and would I come for another interview with the big boss. Would I ??!!

That also went very well and they offered me that one, too. Now I had a choice of two jobs with the same company. I told them I'd leave the decision to them.

They have kept in touch and told me that they are filling in the sponsorship form and will let me know next week when that's been sent to the immigration people.

I don't expect anything to go wrong, but just in case, I still have a few good prospects I'm keeping open with other companies.

The trip cost me a couple of grand but it was well worth it.

Needless to say, we are now sweating on getting that email.

We have been clearing out and sorting out the house and the carpet fitters are putting in a cheap neutral carpet as I type. My missus wants the house in neutral colours and de-cluttered to maximise our selling chances ( speculate to accumulate and all that )

Anyway, I just wanted to offer some hope to those in the same position as us.

Go for it.

jayjd12 Apr 21st 2007 10:33 am

Re: Job search in Perth was a success.

Originally Posted by elmtree (Post 4676614)
Hi all,

I know there are a few on here in the same boat as me - getting on a bit and lacking in immigration points, so I thought I'd share my experience.

Fast approaching 45 and lacking points I realised that getting an Employer Sponsored visa would be my best bet. So, I got on all the jobs websites looking for potential employers ( management/clerical ) and started sending emails and making late-night long distance calls. All to no avail.

"Ring us when you have a visa" was the common reply, despite me explaining that I needed them to give me a job so that I could get the bloody visa.

After weeks of fruitless calls, I decided to get over to Perth so I could meet potential employers face-to-face and 'sell myself'. Booked the trip ( minus family ) and started making calls again - what a difference ! NOW they were interested and I set up several interviews.

Headed over, staying in a hotel in the CBD ( hotel was shabby-chic minus the chic ) and arranged more interviews/meetings whilst over there.

First interview and I was offered the job ! Couldn't believe it. And a better salary than I'm on here. They agreed to sponsor me and seemed impressed that I'd made the trip especially to get a job.

The next day, after another promising interview, the same company rang me back to say they also had another job that they thought I'd be better suited to, and would I come for another interview with the big boss. Would I ??!!

That also went very well and they offered me that one, too. Now I had a choice of two jobs with the same company. I told them I'd leave the decision to them.

They have kept in touch and told me that they are filling in the sponsorship form and will let me know next week when that's been sent to the immigration people.

I don't expect anything to go wrong, but just in case, I still have a few good prospects I'm keeping open with other companies.

The trip cost me a couple of grand but it was well worth it.

Needless to say, we are now sweating on getting that email.

We have been clearing out and sorting out the house and the carpet fitters are putting in a cheap neutral carpet as I type. My missus wants the house in neutral colours and de-cluttered to maximise our selling chances ( speculate to accumulate and all that )

Anyway, I just wanted to offer some hope to those in the same position as us.

Go for it.

Well done mate, took the bull by the horns and went for it! Hope everything runs smoothly for you.

Cheers

Jay:)

elmtree Apr 21st 2007 10:38 am

Originally Posted by jayjd12 (Post 4676699)
Well done mate, took the bull by the horns and went for it! Hope everything runs smoothly for you.

Cheers

Jay:)

Thanks Jay. :thumbup:

Just got to wait for that email.

and the okay from the immi people.

and the visa.....

( I want to change the title of the post to make it more relevant to Sponsorship seekers, but don't know how. Do you ? )

andydon Apr 21st 2007 10:41 am

Good for you, well done. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hope it all goes well for you and your family

Andy

louise4 Apr 21st 2007 10:45 am

Bloody well done. Hope it all goes well and you get your email soon

Louise

nightnurse2 Apr 21st 2007 12:36 pm

Excellant newS!
Well done for taking a chance, good luck:)
Tracey

little bear Apr 21st 2007 1:10 pm

fair play to you, very well done,definately an inspiration for others

regards

little bear x

lorac Apr 21st 2007 1:50 pm

mind telling what field you are looking when you are in Perth?

Ozzy7 Apr 21st 2007 2:12 pm

Good for you, congratulations.:thumbsup:

daunted Apr 21st 2007 2:22 pm

hey well done you!
what job do you do??

elmtree Apr 21st 2007 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 4677416)
hey well done you!
what job do you do??

Office manager. ( only worth 40 points )

Teabag Apr 21st 2007 3:33 pm

That's Brilliant!!!! How long will the Visa take?

I don't know about licensing problems etc. but one particular company is desperate for Electrician's, if anyone is in that trade.

kind_of_aussie Apr 21st 2007 3:37 pm

Well done! :thumbsup: Hope you get your email soon!

elmtree Apr 21st 2007 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by kind_of_aussie (Post 4677647)
Well done! :thumbsup: Hope you get your email soon!

Thanks for your good wishes, everyone.

I'm hoping to have the visa in a matter of weeks ( mind you, I'm also hoping to win the lottery in a matter of hours, but there's no guarantee there either :D )

jen 71 Apr 21st 2007 6:17 pm

well done it look like we may look down that route hubbby a hgv driver we are off on hols to brisbane will make inquires
please let us know how you get on
good luck;) ;) :D :thumbup: