Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job search before or after visa grant??

Job search before or after visa grant??

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 12:22 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Job search before or after visa grant??

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering when the best time is to start job hunting. Will employers pay any attention to you if you're still in the process of getting a visa?

Here's our situation. My husband is a mining engineer (on the MODL) and we are anticipating getting the visa around the end of October or beginning of November. We don't want to move over until January sometime because I'm having a baby at the end of August. So we're not in a rush, but it would be great if he could have a job lined up for the new year. Also we are hoping to live around Lake Macquarie or Singleton, New South Wales.

I have briefly talked to a recruiter and he said companies don't really look at you until you have a visa because so many things can screw it up.

I'm wondering if I should just send a copy of his resume to the companies/mines we are interested in. We would of course include a very detailed cover letter explaining the visa and when we are planning to move over. I'm just thinking that they could keep his resume on file and if something comes up then they could contact us.

We could always wait until we get the visa and then spend a month or two trying to secure a job. But it would be great to have the job lined up so we could sell our house before the visa is granted. We're going to move out of town even if we don't get the visa so it's not a big risk for us.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Haley
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 12:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job search before or after visa grant??

Normally no employer will look at you unless you have the visa and are over here. But Mining Engineer? I think it could be different, anything to do with minig is in big demand.

Why NSW? all the jobs are in WA or in northen Queensland and the Territory. Good money too. I suppose NSW has coal but the big bucks are out West!
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 2:48 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Job search before or after visa grant??

Yes, I know there are probably a lot more jobs out there paying even more money. The problem is that most of them are fly in and fly out, which we don't particularly want. Right now my husband is only home an hour a day, with very few days off. It would be nice to see him a little more often. The other issue is housing prices which seem to be rising in the west. It would also be nice to be able to go on lots of weekend trips, and I think there is probably more to see around the NSW region.

We may still end up in the west, it just depends on how easy it is for him to find work. He wants to get involved with drilling and blasting so we will be very specific when looking for a job.

Anyone on here work in the mining industry, in any part of the country?

Haley