Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Requirement with GSM (subclass 175)

Job Requirement with GSM (subclass 175)

Old Jan 20th 2010, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

stoutdrinker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Requirement with GSM (subclass 175)

Hi Everyone!

I've been reading a lot at immi.gov.au and here, but I haven't been able to find the answer to my question. It's related to the General Skilled Migration Visa.

My wife and I are thinking of relocating to OZ under subclass 175. We're in our late 20s and our skill is listed on the CSL and we're both currently employed in the field. I don't see an issue with us making it to the land down under, but what if we get there and we cannot find a job or if we choose to not look for a job? Will we be put on a plane and sent back?

Are there priviledges/benefits we don't have (i.e. medicare, PBS, etc) if we do not work once we are there? Is there any such work requirement?

Thanks for your comments/answers.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 11:35 pm
Banned

Ozwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to all
Default Re: Job Requirement with GSM (subclass 175)

Originally Posted by stoutdrinker
Hi Everyone!

I've been reading a lot at immi.gov.au and here, but I haven't been able to find the answer to my question. It's related to the General Skilled Migration Visa.

My wife and I are thinking of relocating to OZ under subclass 175. We're in our late 20s and our skill is listed on the CSL and we're both currently employed in the field. I don't see an issue with us making it to the land down under, but what if we get there and we cannot find a job or if we choose to not look for a job? Will we be put on a plane and sent back?

Are there priviledges/benefits we don't have (i.e. medicare, PBS, etc) if we do not work once we are there? Is there any such work requirement?

Yes, you could join the club of the unemployed, no membership fee for that but it's about two years before being eligible for most social welfare benefits which I think include unemployment benefits.
Medicare you can also join with no fee and be covered for basic hospital, doctors fees partial rebates and PBS.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:18 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stoutdrinker
Hi Everyone!

As a permanent resident you would be entitled to Medicare as soon as you land. You can also qualify for child tax benefits through Centrelink and if you are low income earners then you could also qualify for rent assistance. Unemployment benefits are not available for the first 2 years on a skilled visa, though. Even when you are eligible the unemployment benefit is difficult to get.

As a permanent resident on a 175 you are under no obligation to work in your field or work at all for that matter. You can live and work anywhere in Australia you wish.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

stoutdrinker is an unknown quantity at this point

Ozwanderer, Dorothy...thanks for the humor and clarification...greatly appreciated.