job reference

Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough
Default job reference

Are there any legal-type bods out there who could tell me whether someone has a right to a reference from an employer? I have a feeling the answer is no. My old boss took my resignation very badly, and is refusing to give me a reference, other than a one-liner to confirm I worked there. It seems so unfair that I could slog my guts out for a company for nearly 10 years, then for petty personal reasons he can completely screw my future job prospects!
:curse:
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:27 pm
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: job reference

Originally Posted by buzz
Are there any legal-type bods out there who could tell me whether someone has a right to a reference from an employer? I have a feeling the answer is no. My old boss took my resignation very badly, and is refusing to give me a reference, other than a one-liner to confirm I worked there. It seems so unfair that I could slog my guts out for a company for nearly 10 years, then for petty personal reasons he can completely screw my future job prospects!
I'm sorry to hear that, too bad your boss doesn't give you credit for all those years you've worked for him. Maybe he's a bit envious?

Couldn't you get a reference from a manager? Or somebody else who's a bit higher up in rank than you are? Did you do a lot of work on site, maybe they are willing to give you a reference for the job you've performed.

I'm sorry I can't be of any more help, but I remember someone who had the same problem and I think he/she made a statutory declaration (if that's what it's called) and had it legalized by a solicitor.

Miranda
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:29 pm
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ce#post5046359
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:33 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Your employer can refuse to give you a reference but most would agree to give the bare minimum (don't feel bad about this, this is what many of the larger companies do) stating your start and finish dates, job title and whether you had any disciplinary action. Your boss cannot write you a reference that may be unduly prejudical to you getting another job.

Last edited by busterboy; Jul 13th 2007 at 12:36 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:34 pm
tum
destination Cairns

another post to read, don't know if it's useful for you, but here you go

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...rence+employer

Last edited by tum; Jul 13th 2007 at 12:37 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, both, for your replies.
That's pretty much what I'd suspected (i.e. only have to give a reference stating I worked there). But if I was a potential employer, I would question why a company didn't want to give a full reference - I don't think it gives a good impression.
The problem is the company I worked for is only small (hence why my boss was so annoyed when I wanted to leave!), and I was one of the managers, so there isn't really anyone else to ask.
Ho hum, spose, I'll just have to hope that I find an understanding new employer....
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:45 pm
tum
destination Cairns

That's pretty much what I'd suspected (i.e. only have to give a reference stating I worked there). But if I was a potential employer, I would question why a company didn't want to give a full reference - I don't think it gives a good impression.
The problem is the company I worked for is only small (hence why my boss was so annoyed when I wanted to leave!), and I was one of the managers, so there isn't really anyone else to ask.
Ho hum, spose, I'll just have to hope that I find an understanding new employer....
You're welcome and good luck!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:02 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just add that in australia many employers will rely on writted references - it doesn't necesarily matter who they come from (sort of). People know that personalities clash and if your manager/boss won't give you a reference but you have 5 references from your workmates/colleagues then they may consider that to be pretty damn good - certainly whenI look for staff its as important (if not more so) that the new prospective employee could show that he got on with his/her peers and workmates as getting on with the boss.

I once went for a job (in the same organisation) and used references from basically everyone in the department (including my PA and the ladies who did my typing) - I had an......awkward .........relationship with the director but was told in the interview that they were impressed that even the lowly admin girls were willing to sign their name to my cause - which showed them that I was a good team player etc.

If anyone applies fopr a job and they have 5-6 references from workmates at a previous organisation it will always give good signs - regardless of whether the manager will put his name on paper!

A
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
Can I just add that in australia many employers will rely on writted references - it doesn't necesarily matter who they come from (sort of). People know that personalities clash and if your manager/boss won't give you a reference but you have 5 references from your workmates/colleagues then they may consider that to be pretty damn good - certainly whenI look for staff its as important (if not more so) that the new prospective employee could show that he got on with his/her peers and workmates as getting on with the boss.

I once went for a job (in the same organisation) and used references from basically everyone in the department (including my PA and the ladies who did my typing) - I had an......awkward .........relationship with the director but was told in the interview that they were impressed that even the lowly admin girls were willing to sign their name to my cause - which showed them that I was a good team player etc.

If anyone applies fopr a job and they have 5-6 references from workmates at a previous organisation it will always give good signs - regardless of whether the manager will put his name on paper!

A

Hey, I like that - that's a good idea, and I'm sure I can get my ex-colleagues to put in a good word for me.
So, do you reckon it's best to be up-front about an 'awkward' relationship right from the start when an employer asks for references? Or maybe its best to say the company has a policy of not giving a full reference?
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:15 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I like that - that's a good idea, and I'm sure I can get my ex-colleagues to put in a good word for me.
So, do you reckon it's best to be up-front about an 'awkward' relationship right from the start when an employer asks for references? Or maybe its best to say the company has a policy of not giving a full reference?
Prefer the second idea!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:26 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Prefer the second idea!
Yeah, I woudn't mention it to be honest!

When I apply for jobs (not that I have for a while now) but I simply go to the interview and say - "oh, by the way I have these dozen references from previous colleagues and employers from my last 3 jobs" - they usually skim over them and say "thankyou, thats very impressive"

they rarely ever mae call to check them (if ever) and if you are applying in Australia they probably won't anyway becaue of the time difference etc (plus many companies have a block on international calls through their phone systems!)

Just wing it and see! Always works for me - I now collect written references from as many people as I can - you never know what you might need 2 years down the line!!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:28 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

thje other thing is that it shows consistency - if you have had 3 jobs in the last 10 years and you have 3-4 references from each (even if its not the boss, but your peers) then surely it shows that you have consistently fit into a good team and that your peers respect you!

My problem now is that noone respects me ..... maybe I've lost my edge.....or perhaps I just don't care!!

A
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Right, got my plan of action now!
Its funny, until I came here I'd been in the same job for so long I've completely lost the knack of job applications, interviews etc - it's been quite a learning curve.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

buzz;

you dont need a letter from your old boss, do a stat dec have it signed & dated by a police person or magistrate thats then legal & your OK
Old Jul 14th 2007, 9:57 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR1976

A
As someone who worked in recruiting, I can tell you that most employers don't give a rats about whether your workmates liked you. They want to know that your supervisor/employer considered you a valued employee.

As for the quote "the lowly admin girls", I think you will find that admin people are neither lowly, nor girls. I've got over 20 years admin experience and consider myself anything but a lowly girl. What is it you do that you can consider others beneath your position?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.