Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

job recruitment - the aussie way....

job recruitment - the aussie way....

Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice
Default job recruitment - the aussie way....

Hi,

Was just wondering how people had found the whole job application process in Australia?

Is everything done through agencies over there??

My wife works in IT and is hoping to get a post asap, we fly next Sunday and she hopes to be working within a few weeks.

Her CV has been given an A+ by an Aussie IT Recruiter, she has a valid visa etc., however any applications for specific jobs and registration with other IT/General recruiters seem to be met by..........silence.

I find it odd that all these recruiters seem very keen for you to register with them, but then you hear nothing!

Confusing!?

Any similar experiences???

Simon
Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:40 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: job recruitment - the aussie way....

Originally Posted by s1mon321
Hi,

Was just wondering how people had found the whole job application process in Australia?

My wife works in IT and is hoping to get a post asap, we fly next Sunday and she hopes to be working within a few weeks.

Her CV has been given an A+ by an Aussie IT Recruiter, she has a valid visa etc., however any applications for specific jobs and registration with other IT/General recruiters seem to be met by..........silence.

I find it odd that all these recruiters seem very keen for you to register with them, but then you hear nothing!

Confusing!?

Simon
Yeah they are pretty slack...You need to keep on at them otherwise they tend to forget about you, which is fair enough really as I'm sure they're really busy. In my experience I found that they will more or less ignore you if you are not yet in the country.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:41 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Confusing!?

Simon
If you're not in the country then they don't care about you. They can't interview you or put you to work if you're 15000 miles away. Get yourself an Australian address and phone number and they should start contacting you.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If you're not in the country then they don't care about you. They can't interview you or put you to work if you're 15000 miles away. Get yourself an Australian address and phone number and they should start contacting you.
I know what you mean, but we just hoped to have a few leads before our arrival.

We're gonna be in a hotel for the first week and then a temporary apartment for a month, so hopefully we can use that address while trying to find Kate work. Can get an Aussie mobile as soon as we get there so that might help.

Are there any jobs advertised in newspapers in Sydney, or is it mainly through recruiters on seek.com.au and mycareer.com.au??

Thanks

Simon
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

antmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the rough

i heard the job agencies over there work diff to the uk. in the uk they would do anything poss to get you a job but in australia its different so i was told.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

I know what you mean, but we just hoped to have a few leads before our arrival.

We're gonna be in a hotel for the first week and then a temporary apartment for a month, so hopefully we can use that address while trying to find Kate work. Can get an Aussie mobile as soon as we get there so that might help.

Are there any jobs advertised in newspapers in Sydney, or is it mainly through recruiters on seek.com.au and mycareer.com.au??

Thanks

Simon
In the same position. We went over in November (07) and I met up with an agency. We have an Oz mobile and I stated when we would move over (April 08). Basically was told very intresting CV (Chartered Surveyor) but that companies would not look at me until in the country. Told I would have a job within 4 weeks of arriving?. The agency has contacted me but they wanted me to come over earlier than planned and thats not possible as I have to serve out my time in current employment.

Basically I think you just have to hit the ground running as soon as you arrive. The panic is with the exchange rate as it is now you have to earn $ as soon as possible because its too expensive to live off £.

Good luck with your adventure in Sydney. We are off to Melbourne.

Cheryl
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:22 am
Just Joined

matd81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Better off going direct to employers IMO...
Recruitment Agencies are incredibly slack here..
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

antmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the rough

another thing i forgot to say was all the hundreds of jobs you see on seek.com.au and other websites arnt real, there put there by agents to lure you in to sign up on there books and then they get a fee for signing you up to there agency. my ex wife told me this one. best to go to a place and ask for work imo or try centrelink they have job search computers.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Oz-bound is an unknown quantity at this point

I strongly diisagree - they do want you to be in the country first which makes sense, but I got a job within 2 weeks of arriving (in IT) and the agency couldn't have bee more helpful. Also, looking for another job now and again agencies are really good.....if you're good with them they're good with you
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oz-bound
I strongly diisagree - they do want you to be in the country first which makes sense, but I got a job within 2 weeks of arriving (in IT) and the agency couldn't have bee more helpful. Also, looking for another job now and again agencies are really good.....if you're good with them they're good with you
could you possibly PM me the names of the agencies you found helpful??

any contacts would be excellent!

ta

Simon
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

what I.T work are you doing?
Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

isudiro is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with you, the Agent have been very helpful for me. He had organized a couple of phone interview just 3 days after I told him I got my PR last week . Haven't got the job yet but my agent is very sure I'll get one by April.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Oz-bound is an unknown quantity at this point

I used HCM Australia (in Sydney) who were great Also, have a look at www.seek.com.au as gives you lots of agencies/links and in my opinion all I've contacted have been v helpful.

I'm an IT Project Manager.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

I think recruitment consultants and estate agents suffer from a lack of clarity of expectation from the general public.
The recruiter acts on behalf of the Employer...as they are their client who is paying them after all...not the prospective employee. So they are acting at all time in the best interest of their client...no one else.
If your a great catch as an prospective employee it is their job to make you feel great and that their client company is simply the best employer around.
Its a bit like an estate agent acting in the best interest of the Vendor...not necessarily the buyer...
Having dealt with both of these professional groups as a financial adviser in a past life...if you know where you stand you know how to get the best for yourself.
Keep on at them...that usually works!
HKA
x
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Much the same as in the UK, to be honest. From both sides of the process.

It does seem to be. There are a few companies that advertise on the likes of Seek, but they're the exception rather than the rule.

There are some great IT recruitment companies out here. Which area are you moving to?

They'll probably get a metric shed-load of applications through from the online job sites. I found I had that, too, when I was applying for jobs via Seek, etc.. However, once I had my details registered with agencies my phone was ringing off the proverbial hook.

I find that odd, too. Who are the recruiters? Name and shame ;-)

Good luck with the job hunt!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.