Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Prospects For Plumbers In Brisbane

Job Prospects For Plumbers In Brisbane

Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of
Smile Job Prospects For Plumbers In Brisbane

Just need some friendly advice peeps! We have our visas now and maybe going through the "are we doing the right thing" mode! but have been speaking to a few people about work for plumbers in Brisbane and surrounding areas and the general feeling is that it is bloody hard to get work until you get an Australian licence. If there are any plumbers out there that can share their experiences good and bad! with us. We just need a few questions answered pleeeeeaase!!!!
Can hubbie go and work as a plumber with a company straight away? does he need to get a provisional licence first and how does he do that? Is the pay similar to those on proper licences or is it drastically reduced? How hard is it to get a proper licence and how long does it take?

Sorry for all the questions but it seems the TRA stage was the easy bit! now its finding work is the worrying bit! Need some reassurance guys! before hubby goes off the idea all together! Don't want to sound negative after receiving the visa (which we have worked hard to get) but leaving a good job here and going into the unknown can be really scary!
Thanks everyone
Jox
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:20 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Job Prospects For Plumbers In Brisbane

Fraser should get back to you later, he was 25 when he came out here & applied for his Aussie license, think hes about 52 now & still waiting.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bordy
Fraser should get back to you later, he was 25 when he came out here & applied for his Aussie license, think hes about 52 now & still waiting.
LOL!! Cheers Bordy thats exactly the info we don't need to hear!!! (It did tickle me though)!! I should have put on the thread (anyone apart from Fraser)!!!
Jox
Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:45 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Jo, cant help with the licence thing, but I can tell you trying to get a plumber is like looking for a needle in a haystack . Ive been trying to get someone for the house at Wellington Point for a week & after 3 attempts Im back to phoning people out of the local newspaper again this morning .

Plasterers are just as bad - the one that's been tee-d up to do our job 3 or 4 times now & failed to show yesterday has just rung & promised that he will be here tomorrow morning.

Like I havent heard THAT before!!!
Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Job Prospects For Plumbers In Brisbane

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Jo, cant help with the licence thing, but I can tell you trying to get a plumber is like looking for a needle in a haystack . Ive been trying to get someone for the house at Wellington Point for a week & after 3 attempts Im back to phoning people out of the local newspaper again this morning .

Plasterers are just as bad - the one that's been tee-d up to do our job 3 or 4 times now & failed to show yesterday has just rung & promised that he will be here tomorrow morning.

Like I havent heard THAT before!!!
Hi Robyn, Les said shall he bring his tools with him when we come out in April!LOL.
This is what I can't understand surely if plumbers are so in demand why can't they make it easier to work then when qualified ones from England come out!!!
Seriously though Robyn if you can't get a plumber by April then Les is your man!!!!!
Speak soon Jox
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:06 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joanneS
Hi Robyn, Les said shall he bring his tools with him when we come out in April!LOL.
This is what I can't understand surely if plumbers are so in demand why can't they make it easier to work then when qualified ones from England come out!!!
Seriously though Robyn if you can't get a plumber by April then Les is your man!!!!!
Speak soon Jox
If I can't get a plumber by April I'll be in real trouble :scared: .
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

terrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really nice

Its the same with all trades, it drives you mental The TRA assess your trade for the visa, then when you get here everything is made difficult to be able to work in the field your visa was granted for.

I really wanted to get back into sparking, this is how i got my visa, although I have been in account management for the past few years. This would involve less money, but it was something that I wanted to do. I'm thinking twice now about it and considering staying with account management. It seems to much hassle and to expensive to try and get licenced, and the system is not particularly helpful.

Everythig else is well worth the hassle though, we really like it here so far.

T
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
If I can't get a plumber by April I'll be in real trouble :scared: .
U can have a cyber plumber tonite though if you want!!!
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by terrym

Its the same with all trades, it drives you mental The TRA assess your trade for the visa, then when you get here everything is made difficult to be able to work in the field your visa was granted for.

I really wanted to get back into sparking, this is how i got my visa, although I have been in account management for the past few years. This would involve less money, but it was something that I wanted to do. I'm thinking twice now about it and considering staying with account management. It seems to much hassle and to expensive to try and get licenced, and the system is not particularly helpful.

Everythig else is well worth the hassle though, we really like it here so far.

T
Glad you are happy T - so bloody frustrating though isn't it! - Where in Bayside do you live? - Bet you haven't lost the Essex accent yet though have you!!!!
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

You need a bloody licence for everything over here but once you go through the effort of getting one you will have no end of work. As Mrs D has stated it is bloody difficult to get any decent tradies over here so get over here, get a licence and away you go.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billabong
You need a bloody licence for everything over here but once you go through the effort of getting one you will have no end of work. As Mrs D has stated it is bloody difficult to get any decent tradies over here so get over here, get a licence and away you go.
Cheers Billabong thats nice to hear!!
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

terrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really nice

Glad you are happy T - so bloody frustrating though isn't it! - Where in Bayside do you live? - Bet you haven't lost the Essex accent yet though have you!!!!
we're staying at dagboys rental place in wellington point at the moment.

Accent is still there, but I think it may take more than a week to lose it
Old Feb 14th 2006, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by terrym
we're staying at dagboys rental place in wellington point at the moment.

Accent is still there, but I think it may take more than a week to lose it
We are staying at the other one in Birkdale in April Terry, didn't realise you had only been there a week! LOL! How long are you staying there for??
Jo
Old Feb 16th 2006, 10:09 am
Just Joined

sunbaker will become famous soon enough

Joanne
I am sunbakers husband
I work for a fire company here in Brisbane. Plumbers/Sprinkler fitters are in high demand here at the moment and are commanding excellent wages. Around $50 to 60ph self employed.
A job is about to start where about 150 fitters will be required for the next 5 years and there is nobody to fill the positions.
Your husband will have no trouble at all in getting work.

Just need some friendly advice peeps! We have our visas now and maybe going through the "are we doing the right thing" mode! but have been speaking to a few people about work for plumbers in Brisbane and surrounding areas and the general feeling is that it is bloody hard to get work until you get an Australian licence. If there are any plumbers out there that can share their experiences good and bad! with us. We just need a few questions answered pleeeeeaase!!!!
Can hubbie go and work as a plumber with a company straight away? does he need to get a provisional licence first and how does he do that? Is the pay similar to those on proper licences or is it drastically reduced? How hard is it to get a proper licence and how long does it take?

Sorry for all the questions but it seems the TRA stage was the easy bit! now its finding work is the worrying bit! Need some reassurance guys! before hubby goes off the idea all together! Don't want to sound negative after receiving the visa (which we have worked hard to get) but leaving a good job here and going into the unknown can be really scary!
Thanks everyone
Jox
Old Feb 16th 2006, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sunbaker
Joanne
I am sunbakers husband
I work for a fire company here in Brisbane. Plumbers/Sprinkler fitters are in high demand here at the moment and are commanding excellent wages. Around $50 to 60ph self employed.
A job is about to start where about 150 fitters will be required for the next 5 years and there is nobody to fill the positions.
Your husband will have no trouble at all in getting work.
Have sent you a pm. Thanks for that - exactly what we need to hear!
Jox