Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

job prospectives for backpackers?

job prospectives for backpackers?

Old Jul 15th 2012, 11:53 am
Just Joined

johnathany is an unknown quantity at this point
Default job prospectives for backpackers?

Hi there,
I am in my early 20s and intend to come to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa. What city would be the best to find something for work as quick as possible? How long would it take to land some casual job, whatever?
I have worked before as a shop assistant and waiter. Also I have helped my father with carpentry work, although I am not qualified in any way.
Thx!

Last edited by johnathany; Jul 15th 2012 at 12:13 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of
Default Re: job prospectives for backpackers?

Originally Posted by johnathany
Hi there,
I am in my early 20s and intend to come to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa. What city would be the best to find something for work as quick as possible? How long would it take to land some casual job, whatever?
I have worked before as a shop assistant and waiter. Also I have helped my father with carpentry work, although I am not qualified in any way.
Thx!
Depends on your trade. If you want to get a mining job then go West. If you want Hospitality work Melbourne / Sydney or BrisVegas may be better. I also suggest thinking about the cost of living (rent etc) whilst waiting for the jobs to appear.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I would start on the East coast..... As for length if time it takes you to find work.. Thats a piece of string question...

Depends on whats available, competition, your employability and a lot of luck

My little coz did a lot of WOOFing.... Willing woorkers on Organic farms... Once you join You can prebook.... Its not often paid, but its free accommodation in exchange for a few hours work.... They have members looking for peeps all over australia.... So you can travel WOOFING too....
Old Jul 16th 2012, 6:20 am
Just Joined

I'm much more interested in hospitality as I have no qualification or trade so that i will probably go to Mel; What should I expect in terms of wage as a casual waiter? And how much would be enough to cover a week's expenses (shared accommodation, no luxuries). And do you think I would need a car? I heard that the public transport system is pretty good in Mel.
Ho long do you think it would take to find a job in hospitality?
Old Jul 16th 2012, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Ho long is a piece of string?
Old Jul 16th 2012, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Waiter wages are pretty decent in Sydney. You can get $16/17 an hour + tips. Not sure about melbourne but it must be fairly similar, maybe a bit less.

Bear in mind you'll have to do the responsible service certificate thing to allow you to serve alcohol over here. takes a day and costs $100.

You won't need a car

You can stay in a hostel for $100/120 a week.

The average time it takes to get a job in hospitality is 13 days, 5 hours and 21 minutes.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 8:57 am
Just Joined

:-)
I am bit worried as my savings would allow me to survive for only 2-3 months maximum.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

KingsthorpeDavid will become famous soon enough

Griffith NSW has heaps of picking work = Oranges current, grapes later.
Google it.

David
Old Jul 16th 2012, 10:25 am
👽

Hel83 is an unknown quantity at this point

this is a link from yahoo today... handy to know...

http://yahoo.careerbuilder.co.uk/Art...ukyahoo_YAH-52

Old Jul 16th 2012, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KingsthorpeDavid
Griffith NSW has heaps of picking work = Oranges current, grapes later.
Google it.

David
Fruit picking jobs Griffith NSW:

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&outp...w=1304&bih=682
Old Jul 16th 2012, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

The YHA is best Backpackers by miles..
Old Jul 16th 2012, 10:47 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm much more interested in hospitality as I have no qualification or trade so that i will probably go to Mel; What should I expect in terms of wage as a casual waiter? And how much would be enough to cover a week's expenses (shared accommodation, no luxuries). And do you think I would need a car? I heard that the public transport system is pretty good in Mel.
Bear in mind that in order to work in hospitality you're going to need certificates like RSA.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:32 am
Just Joined

What are the hardest and easiest picking/farm jobs, and what is the pay rate?
Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What are the hardest and easiest picking/farm jobs, and what is the pay rate?

Nose picking in Perth is extremely hard work and very poorly paid.....
Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

There are no easy farm or picking jobs - it's all hard work, and it gets harder the hotter it gets. As Eddie suggested - WOOFing is probably easier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.