Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Oportunities in Western Australia

Job Oportunities in Western Australia

Old Jun 16th 2005, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

GraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to all
Default Job Oportunities in Western Australia

Hi All,

Thought I would pass this on as my good deed for the day.

Its an advert in my local paper (Evening Express)Wednesday 15th June.

This it word for word.

"Currently Western Australia is experiencing a shortage of skilled labour across many industry sectors. This presents a window of opportunity for suitably qualified and experienced people to migrate to Australia on either a temporary or permanent basis.

Qualified people are required in many sectors including:
Health, Building and Construction, metal fabrication, engineering, hospitality, manufacturing, resources, oil & gas, mining, agriculture.

The chamber of commerce and industry of Western Australia is the peak industry body in Western Australia and is seeking suitably qualified people on behalf of member companies many of whom may be willing to provide sponsored employment. There are also opportunities arising in regional Australia for trainees to undertake apprenticeships in trades that are in shortage.

To register your interest to live and work in Australia e-mail or fax your brief details including formal qualifications and age to : [email protected] or fax +61 8 9365 7550"

I have never heard of any of this before so who knows?????????

Thought it might be of interest as I'm sure not everyone reads the Evening Express - Aberdeen's local paper.

bye
Old Jun 17th 2005, 7:24 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Oportunities in Western Australia

Thanks Graeme
Old Jun 17th 2005, 7:50 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a visa agency touting for business

G
Old Jun 17th 2005, 8:15 am

Sweet Chilli is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info, looks like it's a genuine CCI ad otherwise they wouldn't list their own email address and fax number: http://www.cciwa.com/search.aspx?Query=visas

Last edited by Sweet Chilli; Jun 17th 2005 at 8:20 am. Reason: wrong url given...
Old Jun 17th 2005, 8:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sweet Chilli
Thanks for the info, looks like it's a genuine CCI ad otherwise they wouldn't list their own email address and fax number: http://www.cciwa.com/search.aspx?Query=visas
Whoops!

G
Old Jun 17th 2005, 8:36 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Whoops!

G
LOL!
Old Jun 17th 2005, 8:58 am

Sweet Chilli is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Grayling
Whoops!

G
Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GraemeS
Hi All,

Thought I would pass this on as my good deed for the day.

Its an advert in my local paper (Evening Express)Wednesday 15th June.

This it word for word.

"Currently Western Australia is experiencing a shortage of skilled labour across many industry sectors. This presents a window of opportunity for suitably qualified and experienced people to migrate to Australia on either a temporary or permanent basis.

Qualified people are required in many sectors including:
Health, Building and Construction, metal fabrication, engineering, hospitality, manufacturing, resources, oil & gas, mining, agriculture.

The chamber of commerce and industry of Western Australia is the peak industry body in Western Australia and is seeking suitably qualified people on behalf of member companies many of whom may be willing to provide sponsored employment. There are also opportunities arising in regional Australia for trainees to undertake apprenticeships in trades that are in shortage.

To register your interest to live and work in Australia e-mail or fax your brief details including formal qualifications and age to : [email protected] or fax +61 8 9365 7550"

I have never heard of any of this before so who knows?????????

Thought it might be of interest as I'm sure not everyone reads the Evening Express - Aberdeen's local paper.
bye
Take this report with a pinch of salt, it seems that government are quick to say there are shortages when they want to keep wages down... if there is competition for work employers can get away with paying less.
Many skilled people are in short term contracts, be really careful and research more. It's a different social structure here, employees have far fewer rights than in Europe, such as mandatory paid holiday, rights against unfair dismissal etc. Many new migrants or transfers from the Eastern States in particular need to climb up from the bottom again, maybe doing long unsociable hours, night work or travelling long distances.
However Aus is for us, we are really settled here so we just take it as it comes, can you live like that though?
atb
Larissa
Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:51 pm

chris n will become famous soon enoughchris n will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Larissa
Take this report with a pinch of salt, it seems that government are quick to say there are shortages when they want to keep wages down... if there is competition for work employers can get away with paying less.
Correct my 'O' level Economics knowledge, but if there is a shortage in supply (in this case labour) wages would surely go UP - fewer workers than jobs to fill would mean that it is the employee not the employer who has the upper hand.

Already preparing to be shown up as an idiot and being told how wrong I am...

Chris
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

OK, this is hubby's theory...
There isn't actually a skills shortage yet, although they are predicting one. They bring in skilled labour to prevent there being a shortage, so the employee never gets the upper hand.
I heard something similar on ABC radio today (Parlimentary debates) and they really plan ahead on these things.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:16 pm

chris n will become famous soon enoughchris n will become famous soon enough

From what I saw while I was over in Perth in April there is a clear skills shortage in the construction industry - pity I'm an accountant then!

Chris
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chris n
From what I saw while I was over in Perth in April there is a clear skills shortage in the construction industry - pity I'm an accountant then!

Chris

Yeah true, there is a skills shortage in the constuction industry. Where the shortage is is the question. Most likely in the primary industries in the North and more remote mining regions.

Another slant on this shortage. It is most likely that the local tradies will take up the majority of peach jobs paying top dollar in the Metro area of Perth. The result is there is a rake of less paid jobs to fill the departee's position.

Anf as for long term prospects....forget it. Most likely casual. This industry is built on the reliablity of a migrant workforce. Pretty much like UK.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chris n

Chris
There is a skills shortage here in many areas.
Construction, engineering, nursing, hotel staff, and hairdressing even.

The state govt are now using this as an excuse to raise immigration numbers and offshore work.

Contract rates have risen dramatically in the last 2-3 years.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 10:46 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing wrong with a skills shortage in the builiding industry. Oh unless you want your house built quickly or dont want to pay through the nose.