Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job offers Melbourne vs Christchurch

Job offers Melbourne vs Christchurch

Old Jul 21st 2005, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

alexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond repute
Question Job offers Melbourne vs Christchurch

Dear all

I have a job offer for Melbourne for AUS$90k a year and Christchurch for NZ$65k a year. My wife will not work as she will look after our two infants (and getting ready for a third!!) I have to make a decision soon.

Is A$90k in Melbourne comfortable salary to live on for a family of four compared to earning NZD$65k in Christchurch?

We live quite modestly, but we do intend to go skiing on weekends in winter and hiking in summer.

We are looking more for the simple outdoors lifestyle, but want to have a nice 4 bed home in out of the city, since we will have three kids. I would like to buy a home, but I will only have a deposit of about NZ$40k. Are there nice areas where one can buy a 4bed home for about NZ$200k? Alternatively near Melbourne too for about AU$200k.

I am posting this in the New Zealand forum too..

I hope you can advise...

Thanks
Alex
Old Jul 21st 2005, 4:38 am
aussie73

Default Re: Job offers Melbourne vs Christchurch

Originally Posted by alexleeson
Dear all

I have a job offer for Melbourne for AUS$90k a year and Christchurch for NZ$65k a year. My wife will not work as she will look after our two infants (and getting ready for a third!!) I have to make a decision soon.

Is A$90k in Melbourne comfortable salary to live on for a family of four compared to earning NZD$65k in Christchurch?

We live quite modestly, but we do intend to go skiing on weekends in winter and hiking in summer.

We are looking more for the simple outdoors lifestyle, but want to have a nice 4 bed home in out of the city, since we will have three kids. I would like to buy a home, but I will only have a deposit of about NZ$40k. Are there nice areas where one can buy a 4bed home for about NZ$200k? Alternatively near Melbourne too for about AU$200k.

I am posting this in the New Zealand forum too..

I hope you can advise...

Thanks
Alex
You can't get a 4 bedroom house anywhere near Melbourne for only AU$200K,
not even in a bad area let alone a nice one.
l don't know what houses cost in Christchurch.

Last edited by aussie73; Jul 21st 2005 at 4:49 am.

Old Jul 21st 2005, 6:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Dear all

1. Have you tried benchmarking the salary against other similar jobs in Australia and NZ?

2. What kind of visa are they offering you? Permanent or temporary?
Permanent is a lot better for many reasons, including the fact you are usually free to change jobs if things don't work out (as they often don't).

Bear in mind that you need to have permanent visas (or citizenship) for any children born in the country to be citizens by birth (NZ is implementing this rule from 1.1.06, Australia has had it for many years)

3. Which job suits better in career terms, and which city will suit you better in terms of lifestyle, climate etc (they're quite different).

Jeremy
Old Jul 21st 2005, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

alexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your feedback.

1. Salary is exactly market level for the job (in both locations).Though the Oz one will take out 9% for superannuation - though is it enough for a family of four to live comfortably on in Melbourne?
2. It is a 457 visa in Oz - and I haven't got those details for NZ yet - I just have the initial salary offer.
3.They are identical jobs with same career prospects.

Christchurch is more to my liking and Melbourne more to my wife's as she has family there and has been there.

it is a shame that house prices are almost becoming unaffordable in relation to salaries -it is like the UK in that respect. Oh well...

Actually I am also getting to an offer from Canada - so I will be triply confused soon. I couldn't choose between the three countries initially and applied to all three for jobs, and have been inundated with job interviews and offers. I know I am blessed to be in this position of choice!

Thanks...
Old Jul 21st 2005, 7:30 am
aussie73

1. Salary is exactly market level for the job (in both locations).Though the Oz one will take out 9% for superannuation - though is it enough for a family of four to live comfortably on in Melbourne?
2. It is a 457 visa in Oz - and I haven't got those details for NZ yet - I just have the initial salary offer.

Christchurch is more to my liking and Melbourne more to my wife's as she has family there and has been there.

it is a shame that house prices are almost becoming unaffordable in relation to salaries -it is like the UK in that respect. Oh well...

Actually I am also getting to an offer from Canada - so I will be triply confused soon. I couldn't choose between the three countries initially and applied to all three for jobs, and have been inundated with job interviews and offers. I know I am blessed to be in this position of choice!

Thanks...
You could easily afford to rent a good 4bdr house in a good suburb in Melbourne on your salary or you could buy a house and get a bank loan, interest rates are low in OZ. You have'nt been to Melbourne , perhaps you could viist there are see if you like it more then Christchurch. You said you like the outdoors, there plenty of great national parks and beaches outside Melbourne within 1 or 2 hours drive.

Last edited by aussie73; Jul 21st 2005 at 7:35 am.

Old Jul 21st 2005, 7:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

1. A question like "can you live on it" is impossible to answer as it depends on your lifestyle ambitions. I'd guess that many people in Melbourne manage on a lot less than A$90k per year.

2. Read this thread concerning the 457 visa.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266447
Some of the problems with temporary residence in Australia will also apply if you go to NZ on a temporary visa.

Any chance of negotiating a permanent visa?

Also take a look at http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au

3. I'd have thought that in most industries there's more in the way of alternative employment in Melbourne, and hence more career opportunities long term there.

Jeremy
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the information - the 457 thread was interesting and useful.

The offer came back and with the LAFHA - the salary is equivalent to over 105k. I know that this will be enough for Melbourne.

The company have said that after one year, they will usually sponsor for PR.

This also gives me a year to really see how much I like it in OZ and really prove myself at work.

I have one question - if on a 457 visa, then I do not get medicare - what will happen for prescriptions and doctors visit? I am diabetic and need insulin - will this be covered in anyway? Would a private insurance cover this?

Thanks...
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

Thanks for the information - the 457 thread was interesting and useful.

The offer came back and with the LAFHA - the salary is equivalent to over 105k. I know that this will be enough for Melbourne.

The company have said that after one year, they will usually sponsor for PR.

This also gives me a year to really see how much I like it in OZ and really prove myself at work.

I have one question - if on a 457 visa, then I do not get medicare - what will happen for prescriptions and doctors visit? I am diabetic and need insulin - will this be covered in anyway? Would a private insurance cover this?

Thanks...
Medicare is not specific to your visa ( as far as I am aware ) All you need to do is go to a medicare centre ( most shopping malls have them ) and apply. Take your passport and they will enter you on the system and send out your cards.