British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Job Offers-how they work in Australia? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/job-offers-how-they-work-australia-725595/)

scaria197 Jul 20th 2011 7:33 am

Job Offers-how they work in Australia?

So I have a friend who is in confusion on how stuff works in Australia.

Before coming to Australia, He was offered a job (Employer A) with a start date of June 27, 2011. He gladly accepted it. Later he was informed that the start date will be changed to a later date as the contractor doing the job will not be leaving till July 22. He was ok with it. A new offer letter with the new date was not sent.

Later he found another job with Employer B which he gladly accepted as the previous offer start date had passed by. Now Employer A has sent a new offer letter with a new start date.

Will he be liable for anything if he now declined Employer A?

scaria197

PaulandNic Jul 20th 2011 7:40 am

Re: Job Offers-how they work in Australia?

Originally Posted by scaria197 (Post 9506362)

Before coming to Australia, He was offered a job (Employer A) with a start date of June 27, 2011. He gladly accepted it. Later he was informed that the start date will be changed to a later date as the contractor doing the job will not be leaving till July 22. He was ok with it. A new offer letter with the new date was not sent.

Later he found another job with Employer B which he gladly accepted as the previous offer start date had passed by. Now Employer A has sent a new offer letter with a new start date.

scaria197

Can't answer your specific, but to answer the thread title question...

Generally you apply for 100 jobs. 1 or 2 will reply with a 'thanks but no thanks' and the rest won't bother replying.

Simple as that really.

Bermudashorts Jul 20th 2011 7:44 am

scaria197

Not sure why he didn't folow it up earlier. But as he didn't receive or accept an offer then I don't see that he has anything to worry about. In any case no company is going to waste their time trying to pursue some kind of a claim against someone who changed their mind about accepting a job (even if this was the case).

xzibit Jul 20th 2011 7:46 am

scaria197

Unless he's signed a contract, then no.

scaria197 Jul 20th 2011 8:03 am

He accepted by signing the first Job offer with Employer A with the start date of June 27, 2011. The first joining date came and went by.

When he signed the second job offer, the original terms of the first offer letter did not happen as obviously he did not join.

--Does this nullify the first job offer acceptance?

--Is accepting a job offer by signing same as signing a contract? I thought a contract is something you join on Day 1?

steen1976 Jul 20th 2011 8:57 am

He'll be fine other than pissing off employer A who may not employ him in the future. Nothing to worry about.