Reload this Page >

Job Offer to work in Adelaide as a Gp Doctor

Job Offer to work in Adelaide as a Gp Doctor

Old Jan 18th 2019, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

LollyGagMiss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Offer to work in Adelaide as a Gp Doctor

Hi All,

new here and looking for info and advice from others in a similar situation as me. I have been offered a Job in Adelaide as a General Practioner Doctor. I gone through a lot of the process, and now it time to pay for the visa to get the ball rolling, but I'm still very hesitant.

Most people leave the UK in hopes of More salary, less tax and a better lifestyle. How realistic is it to expect a better salary, and to afford a house, car and be able to save enough working as a GP in Australia? I have many ties to the UK, family, mortgage, kids, stressful Job, etc etc

A GP salary in the UK can be from £65k to £100k if they're working very long hours 5-6 days a week. But 40% tax, medical memberships costing thousands each year, medical liability insurance, pension, constant courses and lectures which are not free to attend etc all add up making savings minimal.

Any doctor/Gp have any real salary expectations and typical savings for a family of 4.

I also have a job offer for Qatar which is completely tax free... out of the two destinations I'm torn with deciding which is best to go for.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer to work in Adelaide as a Gp Doctor

You don't sound like you want to leave the UK.

I would not go to Qatar. Sometimes Europeans think that the Gulf States are like Mediterranean beach destinations but they are not like that at all.

Last edited by carcajou; Jan 21st 2019 at 11:13 am.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 11:20 am
Just Joined

LollyGagMiss is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carcajou
You don't sound like you want to leave the UK.

I would not go to Qatar. Sometimes Europeans think that the Gulf States are like Mediterranean beach destinations but they are not like that at all.
I no how Qatar will be, I’ve lived in Saudi Arabia and Egypt so Qatar will be a mix of both of them.

Last edited by LollyGagMiss; Jan 21st 2019 at 11:52 am.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LollyGagMiss

I no how Qatar will be, I’ve lived in Saudi Arabia and Egypt so Qatar will be a mix of both of them.

Not sure Saudi or Egypt is the right comparison but you are familiar with the region so good enough and more or less you know what you are going to get.

The reason I wouldn't go there with kids is that, as you well know, in the Gulf you can never assume your continued employment there from month to month, regardless of what is in your contract . . . and you are never actually "home" there . . . and, the high-cost/middling-quality of the private schools in the Gulf.

The transient nature of the population can also be very unsettling for kids because their friend groups are always changing depending on who is coming and going - and those people may not be British or go back to the UK which can harm the ability to develop long-term relationships for them. The same can be said for teachers, turnover is very high and continuity can be a problem. The kids will not have that problem in Adelaide.

Adelaide can also be "home" and can provide long-term stability, and depending on your visa, a path to citizenship which would also benefit your kids immensely.

However in your post you outlined a very strong case for remaining in the UK, and seemed to be approaching the idea of leaving with a lot of reluctance.

Good luck.