Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Offer in Wellington

Job Offer in Wellington

Old May 1st 2003, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough
Default Job Offer in Wellington

Just been offered a job as a nurse in Emergency in Wellington. Thought I was being interviewed for a staff nurse position but have been given a supervisory role. Will allow me time to sell up and start in October (I can feel a long holiday coming on).

This is excellent news as we were running out of options. Went to NZ in February, offered jobs which didn't eventually materialise (6 weeks start dates!) or didn't fancy. The Nursing Council even Registered me for the wrong speciality this week and the wife (a keen believer in fate) was sure the whole adventure was doomed.

Hope we like Wellington as did not visit. The threads make it sound nice. The wifes from Western Scotland so will be use to the wind and rain.

Anyway better be off to bed as will need to continue decorating tomorrow for selling. I had lost all inclination with DIY as it was beginning to be a dream, and that alone.

Good luck to you all.
Roger (tomorrow night)
Old May 1st 2003, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Offer in Wellington

Originally posted by Roger
Just been offered a job as a nurse in Emergency in Wellington. Thought I was being interviewed for a staff nurse position but have been given a supervisory role. Will allow me time to sell up and start in October (I can feel a long holiday coming on).

This is excellent news as we were running out of options. Went to NZ in February, offered jobs which didn't eventually materialise (6 weeks start dates!) or didn't fancy. The Nursing Council even Registered me for the wrong speciality this week and the wife (a keen believer in fate) was sure the whole adventure was doomed.

Hope we like Wellington as did not visit. The threads make it sound nice. The wifes from Western Scotland so will be use to the wind and rain.

Anyway better be off to bed as will need to continue decorating tomorrow for selling. I had lost all inclination with DIY as it was beginning to be a dream, and that alone.

Good luck to you all.
Roger (tomorrow night)
Nice one! I can imagine how your feeling! Were you interviewed over the phone? Good to hear it can happen.
For what it's worth I'm the same with the DIY, keep telling the wife I need some incentive!

Good luck, Gra...
Old May 1st 2003, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Yes I was interviewed over the phone. It isn't easy as I put alot of importance into non-verbal body language. The interview seems to go on longer and you don't know if you're boring the a..e out of them.
Roger
Old May 1st 2003, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

N.Finn Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oriental Bay & Karori

Wellington is lovely, especially Oriental Bay and Karori, they would be top of my list mate.
Old May 3rd 2003, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Offer in Wellington

Originally posted by sully4441
Will be going for a month in June. Visiting Wellington hopefully, will report back. Have you spoken to Jajpe, she's recently returned and is also a nurse, might be able to help
LMS

roger,
just found this this morning!! delighted that you got the job offer in wellington and promotion all on the same day!! well done! how about the registration thing did you get it sorted? i hope so!

at least october sounds more realistic this time. are you tied to that or is there some leeway in the offer? i loved wellington as i think i said to you before - hope it all works out really well for you!!
Old May 3rd 2003, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

They said that I must start by 6th October or the post would be advertised again. However would give me the next post available after that. I'm sure that the timescale is realistic. Did I say that they even offered $3000 relocation allowance!

Thanks for confirmation on your other thread that the PR will take 3 months. I believe that a Work Permit can be contrived if there are delays. Did you make an appointment?

The house goes on the market next week. Just hope we can get full asking price as the housing market and exchange rate is against us at the moment. Just wished we did this 18 months ago. Need the extra cash as planning to buy a small house as soon as we get there and hope to build our own. Whilst having an eventual rentable property will supplement the salary (41K) I believe that it will be difficult renting with Molly Labrador thus thinking that this is a good option.

NZ Nursing Council reassured me that I should have been registered as a General Nurse. However will not send the important certificate until they receive the wrong one back. Sent them a snotty letter as this was their third cock-up, meaning that the process has taken 4 months in all from first asking for the paperwork to be sent.

Wished we'd visited Timaru too as they have just sent an e-mail asking me if I am interested in a job there. They originally had no vacancies but I kept in contact with the senior nurse. However I think I'll stick with the original offer as it is a more senior position. Any A&E nurses out there looking for work?

Two weeks ago I had almost given up on the whole process as we were running out of Emergency Departments. Now a job offer and an option on another. Feeling quiet chuffed.

Roger
Old May 3rd 2003, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

And you deserve to be!! lucky you too getting the relocation allowance- i'm trying to squeeze temporary accomodation out of Christchurch hosp - but haven't heard yet!!

well done again and i am delighted that the council buddies are going to sort your registration out! anyone would think we are nurses trying to join NASSA - it gets so complicated! once you have it though that's it for life (except for the credit card practising certificate thingy) which is a good thing!!

didn't make an appointment with new zealand house - don't even know if you can but it was dead simple anyway. on the 3 month thing she actually said it is sometimes less or sometimes more depending on the application although nursing ones are usually very straightforward! so maybe you would get it even quicker than that! keep in touch anyway and all the best with selling the house. for me that's the bit i feel we have the least control over and as you say every penny will count when we get downunder!