Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Old Oct 17th 2016, 3:20 pm
  #106  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Location: London
Posts: 22
GreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Originally Posted by NHNH2016 View Post
I don't live in central London. So my rent isn't as much, as for travel/annual pass I don't need one as I working in central London 1 day a week and costs my £16 per day. 1-2days I travel to construction sites where expenses are covered and 2-3days a week I work from home.
Hi, just interested whether you chose Sydney or the NE? I moved from London to Sydney between 2010-13 and then returned. As someone who has done the round trip on the 457, my thoughts:

The $137.5 salary (+ plus super) is probably similar to your UK salary. Though it looks like your travel costs are much lower than the typical Londoner.

457 - Mine took three weeks to process! Your partner should have no problem in finding very well paid work, I found a well paid job in only a few weeks.

London vs Sydney: Sydney is definitely far more expensive because you will naturally upgrade your lifestyle and suburb on moving. I reckon Sydney's North Shore (Neutral Bay, Cremorne) is more on par with Putney or Clapham (Mosman being Barnes, Paddington and Surrey Hills being Islington, etc). Here, we lived in outer Ealing so we definitely upgraded.

Now it really depends where you live in the SE. You may actually find Sydney's housing costs a bit of a struggle, especially if you don't live in London. Rents are pretty insane and far more competitive than even London, which is pretty hot right now. Much will depend on your UK rental rates.

Sydney's general COL is much higher. You will cry when you see the price of pretty cheap shampoo and everyday goods, you will cry when you end up buying 4 peaches for $16 (because they are out of season), you will cry when you spend over $10 for a glass of wine in a bar, that is produced locally less than 2hrs away. That said the quality of the fresh produce is superior to anything you will taste in the UK (including Waitrose etc) and you will actually probably end up drinking far less than you did in the UK.

Beoz mentioned they have much more left over in their Aussie paypacket at the month. I recall having the exact same conversation with Aussie and Brit colleagues and we agreed this is so, despite the much higher COL. I put this down to healthier lifestyles (joining a gym and jogging at 5am is a social norm and quite infectious) and going to the beach costs as little or as much as you want (ie. barbecues and picnics). Whilst like any western country, Australia is consumerist (you will note the pricey homewares shops), the British are insanely consumerist. It is hard to describe but people do just spend, spend, spend on a ridiculous level in the UK and often will plan a day out on that basis (I returned shocked at empty picnic tables in London's parks even on a hot day). We also have a heavy nighttime drinking pub culture whereas you'll be lucky to get served dinner after 9pm in some Sydney inner suburbs (where its all at) restaurants. So the lifestyle is very different - hence rivalry with Melbourne (a great Aussie sport).

I moved to back to inner London (as I had moved just before leaving). Though my household income leaped in Sydney, and leaped again upon returning to the UK, and I now live in much more desirable expensive area, imho my quality of life was still much higher in Sydney. London may be slightly cheaper but it's far more stressful. Though thankfully I incidentally bought an unusually large modern apartment, so I at least didn't face a big drop in expectations when I returned. Thus depends where you are and your current lifestyle in SE England.

Given your longterm preference is NE England, I would advise you to seriously weigh up what you want in the Long-term. Regarding family, medical costs are high in Australia and you will be paying (eg. $500?) for scans as soon as you realise your partner is pregnant. Flights, internal and returns, are expensive and 1 week is not a realistic turnaround. Unlike the UK, you have to 'earn' or accumulate your 20 days annual leave before you take it. So you can't just book holiday whenever. Though the upside is you can roll over A/L annually. I contracted for that reason as we wanted to travel in Oz and Asia-Pac.

So in summary, it depends on your longterm objectives, lifestyle preferences and what's important for you (e.g. house vs flat, travel vs returning home, museums vs beach etc). Australia is a very easy country. Its actually returning to the UK that I found far much harder (my pay took a nosedive and jobs are less appealing).

Hope that helps, good luck!
GreenwichCat is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2016, 11:10 pm
  #107  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 17
Twinny2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Hi,

I have very recently been in your position. My partner and I (and our young daughter) were considering our options and one of those options that arose was Australia. We had talked about working abroad before (and importantly we have both done it before), so we knew what we were getting ourselves into. If you've been out to the UAE before then I am sure you will know the score, and obviously there is a massive difference in culture, but probably not so much as there is between UK vs. UAE. Don't fall into the trap of using the exchange rate. If you're earning money in Australia and spending it in Australia, it makes no difference.

What you need to consider is your UK salary and what disposable income you have, and what assets; and then do exactly the same thing for your potential Australian salary.

Only then will you know if your quality of life will be better. Money also does not necessarily mean a better quality of life either (although it does help). Why do you want to move to Australia?

I know for us the reasons were that our daughter is a good age to experience something different (she is three, so no massive upheaval and she hasn't started school yet). We want to experience a different culture and we think it will benefit our daughter in the long term. Plus the job is a step up career wise too (both in terms of title as well as salary).

We've had our 457 visa approved now (just in the last couple of weeks), so we're close to moving now! It took about 6 weeks as it was sponsored so it can move quickly if you're quick getting the paperwork together.

Hope that helps.
Twinny2014 is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2016, 12:13 am
  #108  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,945
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Originally Posted by GreenwichCat View Post
Hi, just interested whether you chose Sydney or the NE? I moved from London to Sydney between 2010-13 and then returned. As someone who has done the round trip on the 457, my thoughts:

The $137.5 salary (+ plus super) is probably similar to your UK salary. Though it looks like your travel costs are much lower than the typical Londoner.

457 - Mine took three weeks to process! Your partner should have no problem in finding very well paid work, I found a well paid job in only a few weeks.

London vs Sydney: Sydney is definitely far more expensive because you will naturally upgrade your lifestyle and suburb on moving. I reckon Sydney's North Shore (Neutral Bay, Cremorne) is more on par with Putney or Clapham (Mosman being Barnes, Paddington and Surrey Hills being Islington, etc). Here, we lived in outer Ealing so we definitely upgraded.
Agree on your suburb comparisons, good comparison actually, but you are totally off the mark in cost comparisons. You could throw Chelsea in there as being compared to Woollahra or Double bay.

If you want to try the naive trick of doing an exchange rate conversation you will find that. But if you want to do it sensibly, average salaries v cost of living, London is off the scale, especially the suburbs you refer to.

If you don't intend to buy in Sydney (and London for that matter) renting, your biggest expense is far more cost effective in Sydney as a proportion of your average salary. You can thank negative gearing for that.

And if your own research doesn't tell you that (which is will) take the easy option.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...m&city2=London

Sorry but I have to pull people up on they incorrectly give people a life changing bum steer on a public forum.

Originally Posted by GreenwichCat View Post

Now it really depends where you live in the SE. You may actually find Sydney's housing costs a bit of a struggle, especially if you don't live in London. Rents are pretty insane and far more competitive than even London, which is pretty hot right now. Much will depend on your UK rental rates.

Sydney's general COL is much higher. You will cry when you see the price of pretty cheap shampoo and everyday goods, you will cry when you end up buying 4 peaches for $16 (because they are out of season), you will cry when you spend over $10 for a glass of wine in a bar, that is produced locally less than 2hrs away. That said the quality of the fresh produce is superior to anything you will taste in the UK (including Waitrose etc) and you will actually probably end up drinking far less than you did in the UK.

Beoz mentioned they have much more left over in their Aussie paypacket at the month. I recall having the exact same conversation with Aussie and Brit colleagues and we agreed this is so, despite the much higher COL. I put this down to healthier lifestyles (joining a gym and jogging at 5am is a social norm and quite infectious) and going to the beach costs as little or as much as you want (ie. barbecues and picnics). Whilst like any western country, Australia is consumerist (you will note the pricey homewares shops), the British are insanely consumerist. It is hard to describe but people do just spend, spend, spend on a ridiculous level in the UK and often will plan a day out on that basis (I returned shocked at empty picnic tables in London's parks even on a hot day). We also have a heavy nighttime drinking pub culture whereas you'll be lucky to get served dinner after 9pm in some Sydney inner suburbs (where its all at) restaurants. So the lifestyle is very different - hence rivalry with Melbourne (a great Aussie sport).

I moved to back to inner London (as I had moved just before leaving). Though my household income leaped in Sydney, and leaped again upon returning to the UK, and I now live in much more desirable expensive area, imho my quality of life was still much higher in Sydney. London may be slightly cheaper but it's far more stressful. Though thankfully I incidentally bought an unusually large modern apartment, so I at least didn't face a big drop in expectations when I returned. Thus depends where you are and your current lifestyle in SE England.

Given your longterm preference is NE England, I would advise you to seriously weigh up what you want in the Long-term. Regarding family, medical costs are high in Australia and you will be paying (eg. $500?) for scans as soon as you realise your partner is pregnant. Flights, internal and returns, are expensive and 1 week is not a realistic turnaround. Unlike the UK, you have to 'earn' or accumulate your 20 days annual leave before you take it. So you can't just book holiday whenever. Though the upside is you can roll over A/L annually. I contracted for that reason as we wanted to travel in Oz and Asia-Pac.

So in summary, it depends on your longterm objectives, lifestyle preferences and what's important for you (e.g. house vs flat, travel vs returning home, museums vs beach etc). Australia is a very easy country. Its actually returning to the UK that I found far much harder (my pay took a nosedive and jobs are less appealing).

Hope that helps, good luck!
You contradict yourself all over the place.
Beoz is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2017, 6:24 am
  #109  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 2
dj_sa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Originally Posted by Twinny2014 View Post
Hi,

<snip>

I know for us the reasons were that our daughter is a good age to experience something different (she is three, so no massive upheaval and she hasn't started school yet). We want to experience a different culture and we think it will benefit our daughter in the long term. Plus the job is a step up career wise too (both in terms of title as well as salary).

We've had our 457 visa approved now (just in the last couple of weeks), so we're close to moving now! It took about 6 weeks as it was sponsored so it can move quickly if you're quick getting the paperwork together.

Hope that helps.
If I may ask, what's the childcare plan you're planning regarding the LO. I'm in similar boat, but do feel slightly uneasy the fact that 457 has no guaranteed entry into kindergarten.
dj_sa is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2017, 8:25 am
  #110  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,945
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Originally Posted by dj_sa View Post
If I may ask, what's the childcare plan you're planning regarding the LO. I'm in similar boat, but do feel slightly uneasy the fact that 457 has no guaranteed entry into kindergarten.
Nor do the locals, but we find a way. Just get on the list, keep phoning, a bride often helps.

I believe this is no different to London.
Beoz is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2017, 8:33 am
  #111  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 2
dj_sa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Nor do the locals, but we find a way. Just get on the list, keep phoning, a bride often helps.

I believe this is no different to London.
I read on NSW edu international education unit website where legally the public schools has to accept you if an Australian citizen is in the catchment area. However, public schools don't have to accept a 457 dependant if it's full...
dj_sa is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2017, 9:56 am
  #112  
Aussie Finn Mixture!
 
teza's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
Posts: 1,144
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Originally Posted by dj_sa View Post
I read on NSW edu international education unit website where legally the public schools has to accept you if an Australian citizen is in the catchment area. However, public schools don't have to accept a 457 dependant if it's full...
Australian public schools are not required to accept from their catchment area until year one.
teza is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 4:13 pm
  #113  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 57
NHNH2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Originally Posted by GreenwichCat View Post
Hi, just interested whether you chose Sydney or the NE? I moved from London to Sydney between 2010-13 and then returned. As someone who has done the round trip on the 457, my thoughts:

The $137.5 salary (+ plus super) is probably similar to your UK salary. Though it looks like your travel costs are much lower than the typical Londoner.

457 - Mine took three weeks to process! Your partner should have no problem in finding very well paid work, I found a well paid job in only a few weeks.

London vs Sydney: Sydney is definitely far more expensive because you will naturally upgrade your lifestyle and suburb on moving. I reckon Sydney's North Shore (Neutral Bay, Cremorne) is more on par with Putney or Clapham (Mosman being Barnes, Paddington and Surrey Hills being Islington, etc). Here, we lived in outer Ealing so we definitely upgraded.

Now it really depends where you live in the SE. You may actually find Sydney's housing costs a bit of a struggle, especially if you don't live in London. Rents are pretty insane and far more competitive than even London, which is pretty hot right now. Much will depend on your UK rental rates.

Sydney's general COL is much higher. You will cry when you see the price of pretty cheap shampoo and everyday goods, you will cry when you end up buying 4 peaches for $16 (because they are out of season), you will cry when you spend over $10 for a glass of wine in a bar, that is produced locally less than 2hrs away. That said the quality of the fresh produce is superior to anything you will taste in the UK (including Waitrose etc) and you will actually probably end up drinking far less than you did in the UK.

Beoz mentioned they have much more left over in their Aussie paypacket at the month. I recall having the exact same conversation with Aussie and Brit colleagues and we agreed this is so, despite the much higher COL. I put this down to healthier lifestyles (joining a gym and jogging at 5am is a social norm and quite infectious) and going to the beach costs as little or as much as you want (ie. barbecues and picnics). Whilst like any western country, Australia is consumerist (you will note the pricey homewares shops), the British are insanely consumerist. It is hard to describe but people do just spend, spend, spend on a ridiculous level in the UK and often will plan a day out on that basis (I returned shocked at empty picnic tables in London's parks even on a hot day). We also have a heavy nighttime drinking pub culture whereas you'll be lucky to get served dinner after 9pm in some Sydney inner suburbs (where its all at) restaurants. So the lifestyle is very different - hence rivalry with Melbourne (a great Aussie sport).

I moved to back to inner London (as I had moved just before leaving). Though my household income leaped in Sydney, and leaped again upon returning to the UK, and I now live in much more desirable expensive area, imho my quality of life was still much higher in Sydney. London may be slightly cheaper but it's far more stressful. Though thankfully I incidentally bought an unusually large modern apartment, so I at least didn't face a big drop in expectations when I returned. Thus depends where you are and your current lifestyle in SE England.

Given your longterm preference is NE England, I would advise you to seriously weigh up what you want in the Long-term. Regarding family, medical costs are high in Australia and you will be paying (eg. $500?) for scans as soon as you realise your partner is pregnant. Flights, internal and returns, are expensive and 1 week is not a realistic turnaround. Unlike the UK, you have to 'earn' or accumulate your 20 days annual leave before you take it. So you can't just book holiday whenever. Though the upside is you can roll over A/L annually. I contracted for that reason as we wanted to travel in Oz and Asia-Pac.

So in summary, it depends on your longterm objectives, lifestyle preferences and what's important for you (e.g. house vs flat, travel vs returning home, museums vs beach etc). Australia is a very easy country. Its actually returning to the UK that I found far much harder (my pay took a nosedive and jobs are less appealing).

Hope that helps, good luck!
Hi, thanks for the above post. I didn't take the Syd job offer and with hindsight it was the right thing to do.

Now we have planned a trip to Australia this year (unfortunately in July so not the best time for Aussie weather) but hey ho, it will still be warmer/drier than in the UK.

The positives of not accepting the Syd job offer, time to think things through, being able to plan rather than going on a whim as earlier, being able to enjoy the wedding and honeymoon. The wife is now more convinced/on-board with Aus being the right place for work/life/lifestyle balance. I have also planned to visit to my current employers offices whilst over there in July so may be able to engineer our visas to be paid amongst other benefits.

So thanks to all who sent in advice/information previously and hasn't been wasted.

Cheers
NHNH2016 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.