Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Well had I been on OPs salary the rent on my three bedroom no no aircon or pool house one hour out of the city would have been 72% of my take home pay.

No idea about London I don't rent and I don't live or work there. I believe Mr BS got a pay rise last year, although I didn't ask.
You are making stuff up now.

We all know you shared a house with your husband, so you were not paying 72%.

If you chose to live hours away from the city and pay $1200 a werk for you house, that's your call, but that's not the going rate inner city for aircon and a pool.

We've had this demonstration already on realestate.com.au

Why are you lying to this guy?

Did Sydney come and really beat you in the ass or something?

Last edited by Beoz; Sep 15th 2016 at 8:59 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 9:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz

If you chose to live hours away from the city and pay $1200 a werk for you house, that's your call, but that's not the going rate inner city for aircon and a pool.

How do you know she's lying? Maybe she was paying all the rent......
Old Sep 15th 2016, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
How do you know she's lying? Maybe she was paying all the rent......
Lets ask her, and if she was where was Mr BS's salary going? And while we are there lets ask her about her house, water views over Avalon Beach if I recall. Prime property. It doesn't mean everyone needs to splash out like that.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

NHNH2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say, you are leading the poster on a bum steer, which is pretty unfair considering he is making a pretty important decision when there's no factual information, its all hearsay, you don't even live in Sydney, then capitulate your argument saying how mad London rentals have become. Sydney rental prices have barely moved in 5 years.

OK. A bit of independent advice then. This website is pretty accurate. Last updated Sept 2016

Cost of Living Comparison Between London, United Kingdom And Sydney, Australia

You would need around 7,269.21A$ in Sydney to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 7,939.47A$ (4,500.00£) in London (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Cost of Living Plus Rent Index to compare cost of living. This assumes net earnings (after income tax). You can change the amount in this calculation.

Times your London salary by 1.61538 to get a minimum Sydney salary.
That's the site I used. I compared it to a place outside of London I had 4 out of 5 reds haha! But do agree if I live in "London" it does cost more.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 10:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Lets ask her, and if she was where was Mr BS's salary going? And while we are there lets ask her about her house, water views over Avalon Beach if I recall. Prime property. It doesn't mean everyone needs to splash out like that.
I'm not asking her, I respect her privacy.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NHNH2016
That's the site I used. I compared it to a place outside of London I had 4 out of 5 reds haha! But do agree if I live in "London" it does cost more.
To what? Rent? What about your £4k annual train ticket in to London. People work for a month or 2 just to pay for that thing.

Can you imagine, the first 1 or 2 months salary goes towards just getting to work. Its criminal.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I did not say I was paying 72% of my salary on my rent. I said *if* I had been on the OPs income then my rent would have taken up 72% of it. I said this in response to a comment of yours that indicated rent was typically 22% of Sydney income.

I was very happy in Sydney and have never said a word against it. I have not told this OP not to bother eother. But you seem to keep making out that it is cheap and now you are telling someone that it is normal to expect $1.6 for every £1 of UK salary which is preposterous.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I did not say I was paying 72% of my salary on my rent. I said *if* I had been on the OPs income then my rent would have taken up 72% of it. I said this in response to a comment of yours that indicated rent was typically 22% of Sydney income.

I was very happy in Sydney and have never said a word against it. I have not told this OP not to bother eother. But you seem to keep making out that it is cheap and now you are telling someone that it is normal to expect $1.6 for every £1 of UK salary which is preposterous.
I didn't say "typically" its 22%. I said "mine" is on a dual income as oppose to a greater amount in London for less bedrooms.

If you can prove to me that you get more bang for buck on rental property in London, go nuts, but I think you will find that effort impossible.

That's the message you are trying to send out on a public forum right?
Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say "typically" its 22%. I said "mine" is on a dual income as oppose to a greater amount in London for less bedrooms.

If you can prove to me that you get more bang for buck on rental property in London, go nuts, but I think you will find that effort impossible.

That's the message you are trying to send out on a public forum right?
You were still perhaps suggesting that they can assume rent is a low proportion of income. And all I did was suggest what proportion of their income would be taken up by the rental on a three bed house an hour from the CBD. It was Collaroy not Avalon actually.

I have not studied rental market inLondon and don't feel inclined to. The only point I have made to this OP is that they are likely to feel a little worse off financially as they have secured less than $2 for every £1 in UK. That's all.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You were still perhaps suggesting that they can assume rent is a low proportion of income. And all I did was suggest what proportion of their income would be taken up by the rental on a three bed house an hour from the CBD. It was Collaroy not Avalon actually.

I have not studied rental market inLondon and don't feel inclined to. The only point I have made to this OP is that they are likely to feel a little worse off financially as they have secured less than $2 for every £1 in UK. That's all.
2:1 is the minimum you want to actually feel like you are ahead. Anything else is a bonus. The poster has been offered 2.1+. Happy days.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

2:1 is the minimum you want to actually feel like you are ahead. Anything else is a bonus. The poster has been offered 2.1+. Happy days.
Ref. post #72 from two days ago.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

NHNH2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

To what? Rent? What about your £4k annual train ticket in to London. People work for a month or 2 just to pay for that thing.

Can you imagine, the first 1 or 2 months salary goes towards just getting to work. Its criminal.
I don't live in central London. So my rent isn't as much, as for travel/annual pass I don't need one as I working in central London 1 day a week and costs my £16 per day. 1-2days I travel to construction sites where expenses are covered and 2-3days a week I work from home.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NHNH2016
I don't live in central London. So my rent isn't as much, as for travel/annual pass I don't need one as I working in central London 1 day a week and costs my £16 per day. 1-2days I travel to construction sites where expenses are covered and 2-3days a week I work from home.
Sounds like a winner then. If I had to live outside London I would never commute in 5 days a week.

But sounds to me like you are putting all the obstacles in the way of a move and I would bet the obstacles are not financially generated but emotionally generated via the family. The wifes family especially?

Fair enough. I can tell you there will be grief and it won't go away either. There's not really a price you can put on that. Either you suck it up or keep the peace. If you move you will be the inlaws bitch forever. If you don't move you may be regretting it forever

Your call. Best of luck making that decision.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a winner then. If I had to live outside London I would never commute in 5 days a week.

But sounds to me like you are putting all the obstacles in the way of a move and I would bet the obstacles are not financially generated but emotionally generated via the family. The wifes family especially?

Fair enough. I can tell you there will be grief and it won't go away either. There's not really a price you can put on that. Either you suck it up or keep the peace. If you move you will be the inlaws bitch forever. If you don't move you may be regretting it forever

Your call. Best of luck making that decision.
Good post.

I would say the hardest part would come when you have children and your wife realises how far away she is from her family. The children will not get to see the grandparents as often, as it is not cheap and quick to just jump on a flight back to the UK. Hard to pop back to see the folks for a weekend trip.

Ultimately this move is about what is best for you and your wife and future children. A different lifestyle and opportunity. You could look at it as a 4 year holiday with a decision to decide if you want to stay or move back to UK in a few years. Plenty of people stay and plenty of people end up moving back or moving to another country.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by evets
Good post.

I would say the hardest part would come when you have children and your wife realises how far away she is from her family. The children will not get to see the grandparents as often, as it is not cheap and quick to just jump on a flight back to the UK. Hard to pop back to see the folks for a weekend trip.

Ultimately this move is about what is best for you and your wife and future children. A different lifestyle and opportunity. You could look at it as a 4 year holiday with a decision to decide if you want to stay or move back to UK in a few years. Plenty of people stay and plenty of people end up moving back or moving to another country.
Spot on.

We moan about the cost of living and rental costs here for bang ordinary places (but near the beach). But ultimately for most it's family that draws you home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.