Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Old Sep 15th 2016, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
It's ok but not setting the world alight. Assume bonus and health is on top of that?

Also, i thought Super had risen to 13%, did that not go through in the end or did I imagine that?
The rise is gradual till the year 2021-22 and believe the max will be 12%.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
No way is $134k ($147k less super) better than £70k in UK. When have you ever read anybody recommend that somebody achieve 1.9 times the UK salary in $? It is 2 at the very least but usually more like 2.2. Even on the minimum of 2 tne $147 incl super is behind.
I agree. Average Salary London 35000 pounds. Average Salary Sydney $80k.

Thus you are earning effectively less.

While public transport costs will be less, overall general day to day COL I think is higher.

Factor in how far you will be living from your office and commute times compared to London and the ease of access of the tube.
Also factor in rental costs, then again I look at my property in Zone 2 in London and am shocked at how much it is being rented out.

At some time you will be wanting to get on the housing market, I assume, and Sydney is shocking, then again the way the auction system works makes it hard to figure out the actual cost. Say it is listed for $500k, then you probably will be looking at $600-700K if not more.

How does the overall package compare to what you are on in the UK to what you are being offered in Sydney?
Old Sep 15th 2016, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
I agree. Average Salary London 35000 pounds. Average Salary Sydney $80k.

Thus you are earning effectively less.

While public transport costs will be less, overall general day to day COL I think is higher.

Factor in how far you will be living from your office and commute times compared to London and the ease of access of the tube.
Also factor in rental costs, then again I look at my property in Zone 2 in London and am shocked at how much it is being rented out.

At some time you will be wanting to get on the housing market, I assume, and Sydney is shocking, then again the way the auction system works makes it hard to figure out the actual cost. Say it is listed for $500k, then you probably will be looking at $600-700K if not more.

How does the overall package compare to what you are on in the UK to what you are being offered in Sydney?
I have to say, you are leading the poster on a bum steer, which is pretty unfair considering he is making a pretty important decision when there's no factual information, its all hearsay, you don't even live in Sydney, then capitulate your argument saying how mad London rentals have become. Sydney rental prices have barely moved in 5 years.

OK. A bit of independent advice then. This website is pretty accurate. Last updated Sept 2016

Cost of Living Comparison Between London, United Kingdom And Sydney, Australia

You would need around 7,269.21A$ in Sydney to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 7,939.47A$ (4,500.00£) in London (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Cost of Living Plus Rent Index to compare cost of living. This assumes net earnings (after income tax). You can change the amount in this calculation.

Times your London salary by 1.61538 to get a minimum Sydney salary.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beoz
I have to say, you are leading the poster on a bum steer, which is pretty unfair considering he is making a pretty important decision when there's no factual information, its all hearsay, you don't even live in Sydney, then capitulate your argument saying how mad London rentals have become. Sydney rental prices have barely moved in 5 years.

OK. A bit of independent advice then. This website is pretty accurate. Last updated Sept 2016

You would need around 7,269.21A$ in Sydney to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 7,939.47A$ (4,500.00£) in London (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Cost of Living Plus Rent Index to compare cost of living. This assumes net earnings (after income tax). You can change the amount in this calculation.

Sorry if you feel that way. Correct I do not live in Sydney, I just live in the 2nd most expensive city in Australia which is from what I understand overtaking Sydney to become the most expensive city in Australia. I am not trying to put the OP off, he is quite capable of making his own mind up and using forums like this, and hopefully other forums to get a broader picture than just a handful of people, to ask for peoples opinions before committing to such a big move. The salary comparisons came from a google search and as such showed that the average min between London and Sydney was different. I did not say he would be worse of by earning less that double the minimum that both cities have.

COL wise, it is not much different in Melbourne compared to Sydney. Swings and roundabouts.

My argument for London rentals is based on the rent from my property in London and how much it has risen in the time I have been in Australia.

Cannot comment on rental prices in Sydney except by going what friends have told me and they are comparing what they have in Melbourne to what they cannot get for the same money for the same distance from the CBD. They are looking are nearly double for something half the size and with no garden, garage or detached. In Melbourne, the rental prices have also stalled in the last 5 years and based on what I understand are falling. Same cannot be said for buying.

Yes I have also reviewed the Numbeo site for a comparison between Melbourne, Glasgow and Toronto and I take it with a pinch of salt. Comparing what is listed to actually looking at websites some things do not appear to be accurately listed. Chatting with friends and colleagues in Canada, there reality of COL is different. I look to others who actually live in the cities for real independent advice not just reviewing one website.

I should add a few people I know have already left Sydney to either move abroad or to a different city in Australia due to the spiraling costs of living in Sydney. This is not based on some random comments on a website and are very happy with there decision. Again swings and roundabouts, YMMV.

Last edited by evets; Sep 15th 2016 at 4:21 am. Reason: Add more info.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if you feel that way. Correct I do not live in Sydney, I just live in the 2nd most expensive city in Australia which is from what I understand overtaking Sydney to become the most expensive city in Australia. I am not trying to put the OP off, he is quite capable of making his own mind up and using forums like this, and hopefully other forums to get a broader picture than just a handful of people, to ask for peoples opinions before committing to such a big move. The salary comparisons came from a google search and as such showed that the average min between London and Sydney was different. I did not say he would be worse of by earning less that double the minimum that both cities have.

COL wise, it is not much different in Melbourne compared to Sydney. Swings and roundabouts.

My argument for London rentals is based on the rent from my property in London and how much it has risen in the time I have been in Australia.

Cannot comment on rental prices in Sydney except by going what friends have told me and they are comparing what they have in Melbourne to what they cannot get for the same money for the same distance from the CBD. They are looking are nearly double for something half the size and with no garden, garage or detached. In Melbourne, the rental prices have also stalled in the last 5 years and based on what I understand are falling. Same cannot be said for buying.

Yes I have also reviewed the Numbeo site for a comparison between Melbourne, Glasgow and Toronto and I take it with a pinch of salt. Comparing what is listed to actually looking at websites some things do not appear to be accurately listed. Chatting with friends and colleagues in Canada, there reality of COL is different. I look to others who actually live in the cities for real independent advice not just reviewing one website.

I should add a few people I know have already left Sydney to either move abroad or to a different city in Australia due to the spiraling costs of living in Sydney. This is not based on some random comments on a website and are very happy with there decision. Again swings and roundabouts, YMMV.
Can you dispute anything on the Numbeo website? Looks pretty close to me.

Your hearsay is extraordinary. I'm glad I'm not making life changing decisions on your hearsay. The hearsay on soon to be Melbourne overtaking Sydney on most expensive place ..... on what basis? The whole of Australia is the same, except for housing and a cup of coffee in Perth. I think Melbourne might have a way to go on the purchase price of a dwelling before it catches up.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think Evets is being overly pessimistic but if you want to give someone a bum steer then telling them they need 1.6$ for each £ of their UK salary to feel about the same financially is right up there with bum steers. In seven years I have never seen anybody recommend less than 2 times and usually it is more than 2.

The OP is surely going to be a little worse off financially, not to the extent that I would say don't even think about it though, the non financial benefits may offset it for them.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think Evets is being overly pessimistic but if you want to give someone a bum steer then telling them they need 1.6$ for each £ of their UK salary to feel about the same financially is right up there with bum steers. In seven years I have never seen anybody recommend less than 2 times and usually it is more than 2.

The OP is surely going to be a little worse off financially, not to the extent that I would say don't even think about it though, the non financial benefits may offset it for them.
Please spare me. I came on 2. I always had a proportional increase in my bank account each month - how could you not. Rent is proportionally cheaper in Sydney for starters for a better place same distance from the centre.

From memory it was 28% portion of the salary went on rent in London. In Sydney its was 22%. Both digs are around 6km from the city. London 1 bedroom, Sydney 2.

Of course that figure has changed as I have had pay rises and good bonuses and rent has stayed flat in Sydney.

What's happening in London. Are we still on 0% pay rises with massive rental increases?
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Can you dispute anything on the Numbeo website? Looks pretty close to me.

Your hearsay is extraordinary. I'm glad I'm not making life changing decisions on your hearsay. The hearsay on soon to be Melbourne overtaking Sydney on most expensive place ..... on what basis? The whole of Australia is the same, except for housing and a cup of coffee in Perth. I think Melbourne might have a way to go on the purchase price of a dwelling before it catches up.
No I cannot, I just feel from talking to friends and colleagues it is not entirely respective of true COL.

And your attitude is making my eyes roll. I feel the same way about your comments.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

No not trying to be pessimistic, just optimistic and realistic having living in both cities and visits back to Sydney after living in Melbourne for a period of time.

I find Melbourne offers more value for $ and has much more cultural feel to it. I have even toyed with the idea of moving back to Sydney but each time I visit I realise it has nothing on Melbourne. Each to there own though.

Even the 1st time I visited Melbourne, I wondered why I spent so long in Sydney.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No not trying to be pessimistic, just optimistic and realistic having living in both cities and visits back to Sydney after living in Melbourne for a period of time.

I find Melbourne offers more value for $ and has much more cultural feel to it. I have even toyed with the idea of moving back to Sydney but each time I visit I realise it has nothing on Melbourne. Each to there own though.

Even the 1st time I visited Melbourne, I wondered why I spent so long in Sydney.
I think I asked earlier, what does Melbourne have on Sydney? Culture, define culture? Museums? Yeah who cares. That's what London is for.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Please spare me. I came on 2. I always had a proportional increase in my bank account each month - how could you not. Rent is proportionally cheaper in Sydney for starters for a better place same distance from the centre.

From memory it was 28% portion of the salary went on rent in London. In Sydney its was 22%. Both digs are around 6km from the city. London 1 bedroom, Sydney 2.

Of course that figure has changed as I have had pay rises and good bonuses and rent has stayed flat in Sydney.

What's happening in London. Are we still on 0% pay rises with massive rental increases?
Haha better quality housing in Australia! No insulation, no double glazing, no central heating(yes some places have ducted heating which is poor substitute). The housing I have lived in in Melbourne or went to viewings, presents a bad picture. Some places the EA just gave me the keys to view myself, and after viewing I understood why they did not have an open inspection.

The rental market in London has plateaued now and the housing market the same.
The job market from what I can see is very buoyant, more so than Australia, and depending on your skillset can be pretty good. But overall I see the wages not that great as I would have thought.
Wages in Australia are pretty stagnate also.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have thought $147k Inc super was a bit ordinary but should be livable. As it's only a temporary visa I would assume that you have no plans to add kids into the mix any time soon but if they are on the horizon while you are on that visa there could be added complications like no child care benefits, possible maternity leave issues etc . while you're footloose and fancy free its all good.

Yup only 20 days leave us the norm in Australia!
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

I think I asked earlier, what does Melbourne have on Sydney? Culture, define culture? Museums? Yeah who cares. That's what London is for.
It is truly hard to explain. I have lived in Glasgow, London, Sydney, Melbourne and San Fran. Visited many countries and major and minor cities.

It has this European vibe/culture going for it. Inner City suburbs have a very distinct feel about them, whereas Sydney this does exist apart from certain areas. Melbourne really supports cultural events in the CBD and the suburbs.

Trying to compare Sydney to Melbourne is like trying to compare chalk and cheese. It would be the same trying to compare living in Glasgow or Edinburgh. Both are very different and what appeals to one person does not appeal to another.

Yes Sydney has the beaches and the harbour but I feel city life is done so much better in Melbourne. It was just my gut feeling on visiting and now living here and where I felt more at home.

Last edited by evets; Sep 15th 2016 at 9:08 am. Reason: Splitting post.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Actually you are bit up yourself, all major cities want to offer some culture and museums are one part of that, especially if you want to attract families. Why would Sydney not want to offer museums and culture to the existing population and potential new migrants.

Why do you think Sydney is a better city, obviously you do not want museums or culture. If you have kids would you not want to take them to a museum?
Old Sep 15th 2016, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well had I been on OPs salary the rent on my three bedroom no no aircon or pool house one hour out of the city would have been 72% of my take home pay.

No idea about London I don't rent and I don't live or work there. I believe Mr BS got a pay rise last year, although I didn't ask.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.