Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Old Sep 13th 2016, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Originally Posted by NHNH2016
Ok that's good information.

I am just trying to understand how much cash/capital I would need to cover upfront costs, such as bonds, insurances and monthly travel pass etc. before receiving a monthly salary.
Probably 10k to be safe.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

NHNH2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

£ or $?
Old Sep 13th 2016, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

£ or $?
Dollars. Everything is in dollars now
Old Sep 13th 2016, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Well it looks as though financially I am better off in Oz! Need the wife (to be) to agree and start look for jobs. Once that "easy" part is done, she can tell the families
Old Sep 13th 2016, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well it looks as though financially I am better off in Oz! Need the wife (to be) to agree and start look for jobs. Once that "easy" part is done, she can tell the families
Good luck on telling the families bit. I'm still paying for it 5 years on.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

How does the tax work out there?
Old Sep 13th 2016, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Is it taken direct from your salary or is responsible for their tax returns?
Old Sep 13th 2016, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is it taken direct from your salary or is responsible for their tax returns?
Tax works largely the same way. Its taken at source and at about the same rate.

That said they do require everyone to fill in a tax return each year. If your salary is your only source of income its quite straight forward. It can get a little more challenging throwing in investments and offshore earnings.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

So I finally got my offer!!

$147k inclusive of super Annuation of 9.5%. Relocation costs of up to $10k this allowance may be used towards, but not limited to, the cost of airfares, removal expenses, or temporary accommodation on arrival. However, if I were to leave within 2yrs the amount of relocation costs used would need to be paid back.
20 days annual leave (is this the norm?).

Thoughts?

It's ok but not setting the world alight. Assume bonus and health is on top of that?

Also, i thought Super had risen to 13%, did that not go through in the end or did I imagine that?
Old Sep 13th 2016, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

So I finally got my offer!!

$147k inclusive of super Annuation of 9.5%. Relocation costs of up to $10k this allowance may be used towards, but not limited to, the cost of airfares, removal expenses, or temporary accommodation on arrival. However, if I were to leave within 2yrs the amount of relocation costs used would need to be paid back.
20 days annual leave (is this the norm?).

Thoughts?
I would say this is a bit worse than your UK package, you would probably want about $170-180k incl super to feel like you are in the same financial position. But if that is the market rate then that is the market rate. You have to weigh it up with the non financial benefits such as the life experience.

The $10k on moving expenses it a bit mean too and is not going to cover temporary accommodation, flights and a container if you are bringing one. As an allowance it would be taxable too, if they pay your bills directly then arguably a business expense for them and not taxable on you. Ask about that.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I would say this is a bit worse than your UK package, you would probably want about $170-180k incl super to feel like you are in the same financial position. But if that is the market rate then that is the market rate. You have to weigh it up with the non financial benefits such as the life experience.

The $10k on moving expenses it a bit mean too and is not going to cover temporary accommodation, flights and a container if you are bringing one. As an allowance it would be taxable too, if they pay your bills directly then arguably a business expense for them and not taxable on you. Ask about that.
Rubbish. He will be ahead.

But I do agree on the allowance. Its a bit mean and needs to be paid for by the company rather than a taxable allowance.

I would also make sure they include your other half in the move including any visa costs and lawyers needed to get it. The lawyers are largely useless if you are a straightforward case.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Rubbish. He will be ahead.

But I do agree on the allowance. Its a bit mean and needs to be paid for by the company rather than a taxable allowance.

I would also make sure they include your other half in the move including any visa costs and lawyers needed to get it. The lawyers are largely useless if you are a straightforward case.
No way is $134k ($147k less super) better than £70k in UK. When have you ever read anybody recommend that somebody achieve 1.9 times the UK salary in $? It is 2 at the very least but usually more like 2.2. Even on the minimum of 2 tne $147 incl super is behind.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
No way is $134k ($147k less super) better than £70k in UK. When have you ever read anybody recommend that somebody achieve 1.9 times the UK salary in $? It is 2 at the very least but usually more like 2.2. Even on the minimum of 2 tne $147 incl super is behind.
Yeah right. You are playing with numbers to suit. Super is yours and a tax beneficial forced saving. You contribute to a pension right? Same thing. If his salary was such that he was living on the bread line and needed that super to survive, then you may have a point, but there's so much buffer there, there's so much money in his salary that will not be spent, the super is added savings, and if on a 457 visa accessible when he leaves.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

I thank you for your comments and I can see a few if's and but's on both sides. When number crunching yesterday (including taxable deductions which isn't as high in Oz as the UK but still sizeable) I wouldn't be any better off (in my opinion). However, I have yet to start negotiating and know I would be able to get an increase. If not I will just simply thank them and walk away...I'm not stuck for work and don't need to take the first opportunity that comes along.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thank you for your comments and I can see a few if's and but's on both sides. When number crunching yesterday (including taxable deductions which isn't as high in Oz as the UK but still sizeable) I wouldn't be any better off (in my opinion). However, I have yet to start negotiating and know I would be able to get an increase. If not I will just simply thank them and walk away...I'm not stuck for work and don't need to take the first opportunity that comes along.
I find that very hard to believe being in pretty much the same circumstances as you 5 or so years ago and knowing first hand what London v Sydney is all about. But your call. Best of luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.