Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Old Sep 9th 2016, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Originally Posted by Beoz
Ha ha. Your friend is being had. If that place does not have a pool, a gym and a view of the harbour then they should be getting out quick smart.
If only, he has looked around the area and this was the cheapest he could find. Sydney is one of most expensive real estate markets in the world. For what he had in Melbourne and the price he was paying, nothing comparable in Sydney for the same distance to the CBD.

His partner is looking at Coogee and the surrounding areas as that is where they lived previously but now too expensive.

So I have not looked, but 15 mins train journey to the CBD, 2 bed detached unit with courtyard and garage: $400/w in Melbourne. Doubt you can/could find anything in Sydney.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP, it is interesting you have chosen 2 more opposite places to live. NE England - Cheap, Sydney - Expensive. You should really carefully consider your options.

Do you own a property in the UK and have equity in it. Unless a serious correction in the market occurs in Australia, you may find it difficult to get that dream home the daytime TV shows portray of Australia. The auction market here is very different from buying in the UK and prices are listed under value to tempt people in ie say a property is listed a $450 to 500k the owner is realistically looking for $600 to 700k or more, and the majority are investors who have unlimited budgets compared to first time buyers.

I am not trying to put you off, but moving to Sydney you do need to consider you financial situation especially with the thought of a family in the future.

I understand that many on this forum will not agree, but locals of Sydney would rather not live there and move away due to the high costs.

Best to check out https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/ which does not give such a rose tinted picture of Australia.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
I understand that many on this forum will not agree, but locals of Sydney would rather not live there and move away due to the high costs.
Bit of a contradiction there. Locals of Sydney would rather not live there. 5 million people would rather not live in Sydney?

Ok. If you insist.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

If only, he has looked around the area and this was the cheapest he could find. Sydney is one of most expensive real estate markets in the world. For what he had in Melbourne and the price he was paying, nothing comparable in Sydney for the same distance to the CBD.

His partner is looking at Coogee and the surrounding areas as that is where they lived previously but now too expensive.

So I have not looked, but 15 mins train journey to the CBD, 2 bed detached unit with courtyard and garage: $400/w in Melbourne. Doubt you can/could find anything in Sydney.
What is a detached unit? Is that like a garage or shipping container decked out with plasterboard and carpet?

Just for curiosity sake I just had a look around Melbourne for the same price I pay in Sydney with similar features. I found this and in every way its like for like including price.

The only difference is, I have a view of Sydney Harbour.

2809/35 Malcolm Street South Yarra Vic 3141

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-vic-south+yarra-419069158
Old Sep 9th 2016, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I just had a look at Sydney. Well there's lot of good stuff on right now. Check out this bad boy for $830 per week.

802/6-12 Atchison Street St Leonards NSW 2065
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-nsw-st+leonards-419158570

If your friend and his flatmate are paying $1000 per week they need to check out other stock.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

NHNH2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

Evets - I didn't expect Sydney was an option...we thought Melbourne would be better as we've heard it's more like the UK but not as wet...I like the seasons..the wife (to be) doesn't as much but it's not all out her

I'm hoping to rent rather than buy until we save enough for a deposit.we want to keep our properties in the UK just for investment purposes. The salary prospects for me are between 100-150k so expecting something around 130k as a min to give that reassurance until the wife (to be) finds a job. Researching her job role as an IT business analyst we hope she would be able to secure something similar in terms of salary...does this seem about right?
Old Sep 9th 2016, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NHNH2016
Evets - I didn't expect Sydney was an option...we thought Melbourne would be better as we've heard it's more like the UK but not as wet...I like the seasons..the wife (to be) doesn't as much but it's not all out her

I'm hoping to rent rather than buy until we save enough for a deposit.we want to keep our properties in the UK just for investment purposes. The salary prospects for me are between 100-150k so expecting something around 130k as a min to give that reassurance until the wife (to be) finds a job. Researching her job role as an IT business analyst we hope she would be able to secure something similar in terms of salary...does this seem about right?
Probably not. It is often mentioned on this and other boards that dependents of temporary residents struggle to find decent employment no matter how good their skill set - why put on someone who could be booted out within 90 days when you can have home grown talent that could last longer. There are also sometime security issues if the work has a security component - pr or citizens only. Sydney is not lacking in IT analysts unfortunately.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
Probably not. It is often mentioned on this and other boards that dependents of temporary residents struggle to find decent employment no matter how good their skill set - why put on someone who could be booted out within 90 days when you can have home grown talent that could last longer. There are also sometime security issues if the work has a security component - pr or citizens only. Sydney is not lacking in IT analysts unfortunately.
Well not sure that is entirely true as it's on then skills shortage list.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 7:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

You said the recruitment agency was going to get back to you yesterday or today with the salary package offer - so what was it?
Old Sep 9th 2016, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

They actually haven't...I totally forgot they were going too. I know yesterday I gave them two references which they would have checked today but not heard anything.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Well not sure that is entirely true as it's on then skills shortage list.
You realise that the skills shortage list bears little resemblance to job vacancies, especially when the candidates don't have permanent visas
Old Sep 9th 2016, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So $130k in Sydney is equivelent to £60k in London in my opinion. That's what you would expect to be earning in either location to maintain a similar lifestyle.

On dual income of roughly both those amount, you'll be doing great.

In fact you will be in about the top 10% of Australian household incomes.

There's a lot of myth and bullshit about the cost of Sydney sprouted on here, always from those who don't actually live in Sydney. Its really not that bad. 5 million would not live there if it was. Sydney does have the most expensive housing in Australia, but its cheaper than London though, and as seen in a link above, the better than average properties in Melb and Syd are about the same price.

Other than housing, everything else is no more expensive than the rest of Australia.

Remember, You do pay for what you get.

Last edited by Beoz; Sep 9th 2016 at 9:59 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Bit of a contradiction there. Locals of Sydney would rather not live there. 5 million people would rather not live in Sydney?

Ok. If you insist.
Not sure if you spend time on forums that are just consist of expat's or forums that are predominantly Australians. If the latter you would get this. Look at the the people that are trying to leave Sydney rather than the people trying to migrate on the Australian dream.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

What is a detached unit? Is that like a garage or shipping container decked out with plasterboard and carpet?

Just for curiosity sake I just had a look around Melbourne for the same price I pay in Sydney with similar features. I found this and in every way its like for like including price.

The only difference is, I have a view of Sydney Harbour.

2809/35 Malcolm Street South Yarra Vic 3141

2809/35 Malcolm Street South Yarra Vic 3141 - Apartment for Rent #419069158 - realestate.com.au
Detached unit, I mean a detached house. No neighbours, either side or above or below me.

Yes the unit you have listed is now very typical of what is being built in Melbourne. Open plan kitchen which is non functional but looks pretty on picture. Some of them are even listed a 1 bed even though they are really studios but get around this by careful wording.

Very nice you are paying a premium to have that view.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

I just had a look at Sydney. Well there's lot of good stuff on right now. Check out this bad boy for $830 per week.

802/6-12 Atchison Street St Leonards NSW 2065
802/6-12 Atchison Street St Leonards NSW 2065 - Unit for Rent #419158570 - realestate.com.au

If your friend and his flatmate are paying $1000 per week they need to check out other stock.
Cannot comment on that, as his location is North Sydney. Still the rental prices are still crazy in Sydney. My place in Melbourne is double the size and less than half the price listed and closer to the CBD.

Yes it may not come with the pool,etc but I do not have to worry about neighbours or booking the lift for deliveries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.