Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Sydney...

Job offer in Sydney...

Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

teamgb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer in Sydney...

hello everyone. I am a family of 3 (baby 11 months). I have been offered a job with sponsorship in Sydney with basic salary at 70k
is this do-able with just one wage as my wife would be looking after the baby full time?

appreciate your comments and feedback

the position is based in west sydney and probably be looking at renting/living in the south.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Job offer in Sydney...

Originally Posted by teamgb
hello everyone. I am a family of 3 (baby 11 months). I have been offered a job with sponsorship in Sydney with basic salary at 70k
is this do-able with just one wage as my wife would be looking after the baby full time?

the position is based in west sydney and probably be looking at renting/living in the south.
Doable yes comfortably no.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you live now and on what? If it is something like £30k in London, then you can probably do it at similar comfort level.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Timmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really nice

70k is not alot to look after a family of 3, but doable. Depends where in the south you are looking to live as this will affect how much you pay for transport and rent.

Western Sydney will tend to have some of the cheapest rent in sydney so if you are working there, it may make some sense to live closeby.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

robo500 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Im interested to read any replies to this as im thinking a similar thing (Wife, 2 kids 2 and 7) good chance of a job offer of 90k deciding if its actually do-able.

Current job here in the uk paying 29k wouldnt want to move if im end up being worse off than I am here we dont have lavish lifestlyes though as with 2 kids we are lucky if me and the missis get out once a month!.

Need to factor in schooling fees as well as we need to pay these until you get permanent residency if im correct on that.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice

That salary is OK for a young man who is happy with the simple things in life. Many work for less.

You will pay 14K pa in tax, and need at least 30K pa for rent, weekly expenditure, electricity. Transport, medical, dental, clothing expenses will eat into the $26K that you have left, but you can get by.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

I'm going to say if you had some sort of PR or citizenship then it is doable. I'm pretty sure though that on 457(I take no responsibility if i'm wrong so check it out) that you would also have school fees to pay as well as compulsory medical insurance etc. These on top of the normal living costs with no added benefits that are available to PR/citizens I think you might struggle a bit.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robo500
Hi,

Im interested to read any replies to this as im thinking a similar thing (Wife, 2 kids 2 and 7) good chance of a job offer of 90k deciding if its actually do-able.

Current job here in the uk paying 29k wouldnt want to move if im end up being worse off than I am here we dont have lavish lifestlyes though as with 2 kids we are lucky if me and the missis get out once a month!.

Need to factor in schooling fees as well as we need to pay these until you get permanent residency if im correct on that.
Do you live in SE on 29k or another part of the country? If SE then you might feel about the same or a touch better or worse off after school fees are taken out. If you live in a cheaper part of the UK at the moment then I daresay you are going to feel a bit worse off in Sydney.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

robo500 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bermudashorts,

29k in the north west of england (manchester), fairly comfortable here on that got money for whatever we need within reason and still have some spare cash to put aside in savings hmmm Melbourne maybe slightly cheaper
Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

NATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the rough

I presume we're talking $70k not £70k? Excuse my ignorance if that's an obvious question! :-)
Old Aug 10th 2012, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice

Yes, I'm on a 457 and know that school fees are very high....I believe around $4k per child/a year (but again, that's a guide, so check it out yourself)

Private Medical Care is a requiremnt of a 457 and the level of cover varies, as does cost. I'm probably paying at the top end around $400/month for comprehensive cover for my family.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by martin1978
I'm going to say if you had some sort of PR or citizenship then it is doable. I'm pretty sure though that on 457(I take no responsibility if i'm wrong so check it out) that you would also have school fees to pay as well as compulsory medical insurance etc. These on top of the normal living costs with no added benefits that are available to PR/citizens I think you might struggle a bit.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AndrewMarilyn
Yes, I'm on a 457 and know that school fees are very high....I believe around $4k per child/a year (but again, that's a guide, so check it out yourself)

Private Medical Care is a requiremnt of a 457 and the level of cover varies, as does cost. I'm probably paying at the top end around $400/month for comprehensive cover for my family.

Hope this helps.
I unf to stick my neck out on this one and say you will find it very tough on that!
Old Aug 11th 2012, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NATIONAL-VELVET
I presume we're talking $70k not £70k? Excuse my ignorance if that's an obvious question! :-)
They decided to pay him in pounds...
Old Aug 13th 2012, 1:51 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin1978
$4500 per annum per child in Public School, won't affect an 11 month just yet though. Can be paid in bi-annual installments when you ask.
Get compulsory medical insurance for short term to get out here and then use your own company scheme, Reciprocal Medicare between UK and Aus is accepted.
$70k per annum is doable in a cheap area in Western Sydney but you will need to look at the demographics and see if they suit. A lot depends on your lifestyle back in UK and if you are expecting a 'beaches and pool' lifestyle out here. If you are then oh oh!
Old Aug 13th 2012, 1:52 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, school fees can be cheaper if you go to Catholic School BTW!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.