Reload this Page >

Job offer for Sydney

Job offer for Sydney

Old Jan 24th 2012, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

xavito is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer for Sydney

Hi everyone,
first of all, appologies for not being British but allowed myself to sneak into a British Expat Forum. The reason is that I was looking for useful information about a possibility to move to Oz and always ended up with this valuable paltform
I am living in Dresden, Germany and have a job opportunity to come to Sydney. Sydney, from what I have heard, read and learned from friends living there is very expensive (in fact Ranked #14 worldwide in Mercers Cost of living report 2011, way before Paris, NYC or Londond). And this is what frigthens me a little bit : the high cost of living/ very expensive housing and some other factors like the abolishment of LAFHA in June 2012, etc.
I have been offered 125k AUS $ + car allowance and some relocation expenses. I am seriously wondering, if this is enough, considering that my partner will give up her job here and we will be only on one salary for a while. I have also some financial liabilities that I have to take care of in Germany, so I would appreciate if you could tell me, if today this would let us live a nice and decent lifestyle in Sydney without having to worry financially.
Thanks so much!
Xavito
Old Jan 24th 2012, 6:59 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer for Sydney

I think your salary package is fine. Just be prudent in your finances and don't eat out too often!

You could benefit from the high AUD vs EUR exchange rate too.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xavito
Hi everyone,
first of all, appologies for not being British but allowed myself to sneak into a British Expat Forum. The reason is that I was looking for useful information about a possibility to move to Oz and always ended up with this valuable paltform
I am living in Dresden, Germany and have a job opportunity to come to Sydney. Sydney, from what I have heard, read and learned from friends living there is very expensive (in fact Ranked #14 worldwide in Mercers Cost of living report 2011, way before Paris, NYC or Londond). And this is what frigthens me a little bit : the high cost of living/ very expensive housing and some other factors like the abolishment of LAFHA in June 2012, etc.
I have been offered 125k AUS $ + car allowance and some relocation expenses. I am seriously wondering, if this is enough, considering that my partner will give up her job here and we will be only on one salary for a while. I have also some financial liabilities that I have to take care of in Germany, so I would appreciate if you could tell me, if today this would let us live a nice and decent lifestyle in Sydney without having to worry financially.
Thanks so much!
Xavito
It's ok, nothing flash. But it makes more sense to compare it to your current earnings than asking randoms what they think because we are all different and have different expectations and hopes.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

xavito is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It's ok, nothing flash. But it makes more sense to compare it to your current earnings than asking randoms what they think because we are all different and have different expectations and hopes.
Nothin flash meaning it's not a lot? My salary here is just below that but I don't want to move over to end up living in a small appartment in the suburbs, because my finances are not right (while here I can live in a 3-bedroom appt., go out often, ect...)
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:02 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

have u done your financial modeling?

there are lots of free outdoor activities in syd if thats what ur after.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by xavito
Nothin flash meaning it's not a lot? My salary here is just below that but I don't want to move over to end up living in a small appartment in the suburbs, because my finances are not right (while here I can live in a 3-bedroom appt., go out often, ect...)
If your salary is similar and cost of living in Germany is similar or lower than London then you will be worse off on Sydney. That said it is a nice place to live but very expensive. You certainly won't be living the high life on that salary but neither will you be broke.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

In GBP, I think it's about right that you need around 2.2 times your GBP salary to have similar spending power in Sydney as you do in the UK.

If you convert your euro salary into GBP and then multiply by 2.2 then this will give you a feel for what you would need here to maintain your current purchasing power.

The last poster has it about right "not broke, but no high life". Do you think your partner will be able to get work; then you'll be fine?

Last edited by killerhales; Jan 24th 2012 at 9:58 pm. Reason: another typo
Old Jan 24th 2012, 10:39 pm
Daffyd Duck

pull out a spreadsheet, try forecasting your cash inflows and outflows under 2 scenarios (aud vs eur salaries) and use some sensitivity/scenario analysis.

don't base your decision on funky ratios or generalisations. you need to analyse very carefully.

also note sydney and other australian cities have higher quality of life than london paris or new york as per various international rankings.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 10:44 pm
Daffyd Duck

And a decent lifestyle in Sydney usually revolves around free outdoorsy stuff.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 11:58 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how big Dresden is, but Sydney is a large city (biggest in Australia) and far more spread out than a European city of similar population, and living within 15-30 minutes of the CBD is very expensive - but there is a good suburban train service from most directions into the city and the vast majority live some way out and commute every day.

Is your job in the CBD or one of the suburbs - and if so, which one?
Old Jan 25th 2012, 12:13 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Just do the 2.2 ratio comparison, if it works our favorably then you will be OK. As everyone has said Sydney is very expensive and some free outdoor activities are only good to a point and wont help your finances.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 12:28 am
Daffyd Duck

Originally Posted by chris955
Just do the 2.2 ratio comparison
What a lazy irresponsible method.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 12:29 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah whatever.

Originally Posted by commonwealth
What a lazy irresponsible method.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 12:29 am
Daffyd Duck

Ask someone who lives/lived in Sydney.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 12:31 am
Daffyd Duck

xavito, how long do you intend to live in sydney?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.