Reload this Page >

Job Offer with Rio Tinto Mining

Job Offer with Rio Tinto Mining

Old Aug 12th 2011, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

x Roomeo x is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Offer with Rio Tinto Mining

Hi All
I have a potential job offer working for Rio Tinto, starting in April 2012 . So myself, girlfriend and two daughters (aged 5 and 18months) are looking to relocate to Perth in March 2012. The plan is to live in Perth but I would be working on a FIFO shift pattern, out near Newman. My base salary would be around the 128000AUD. I understand the cost of living is quite high in Australia, just wondering if this would be enough to lead a comfortable life in Perth?
I also would like to know if anybody has relocated to Oz with assistance from Rio Tintos relocation package? and what help am I likely to expect from them?

All information will be much apprecited

Regards

Roomeo
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer with Rio Tinto Mining

Hi,

I cant help much with your questions. But I live in Geraldton and its full of FIFO families.

Anyway this info might help your girlfriend settle and make friends with other FIFO families.

I know that if your girlfriend goes on essentialbaby com au, and posts FIFO families in WA . She will then get lots of replies from other Aussie mums in similar situation.

Also I know the Geraldton FIFO mums meet up regular, and they have a FIFO mums group on Facebook. So would expect something similar from the Perth parents.

Good Luck
Gems
Old Aug 13th 2011, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Article in today's West Australian about FIFO:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...-of-fifo-life/
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...gh-sacrifices/.

First article mentions the mum who set up a Facebook page for FIFO Families.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by x Roomeo x
I also would like to know if anybody has relocated to Oz with assistance from Rio Tintos relocation package? and what help am I likely to expect from them?
Are you going to be getting a permanent visa - or a temporary one? If the latter, are you ok with the idea of a one way trip home at short notice if you lose your job?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:16 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All
I have a potential job offer working for Rio Tinto, starting in April 2012 . So myself, girlfriend and two daughters (aged 5 and 18months) are looking to relocate to Perth in March 2012. The plan is to live in Perth but I would be working on a FIFO shift pattern, out near Newman. My base salary would be around the 128000AUD. I understand the cost of living is quite high in Australia, just wondering if this would be enough to lead a comfortable life in Perth?

Regards

Roomeo
Why Perth? There are other options.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:32 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Regards

Roomeo
What role are you fulfilling to earn that $128k?

If you are a Geo or Engineer then RT are taking the piss. If you are a fieldy then its a damn good salary.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info Gems & Helen, my girlfriend found it very helpful.

As a newbie to these forums I do not know how to quote peoples replies, but here are my answers.

WHY PERTH? We have friends in Perth, so it would help my girlfriend to settle in better, especially when I start FIFO. I will also be based in the CBD for 2 months prior to my FIFO. I like the looks of Rockingham, any thoughts?

AS REGARDS MY ROLE AT RT? I cannot discuss this as yet, but the offer is similar pay to the UK equivilant, I'm hoping that we can still achieve a good standard of living when we move to Perth.

WHAT SORT OF VISA? They are offering a 457 visa, why do you think I may lose my job? Is this a possibilty, surely as long as I perform well, I will be able to stay onboard and hope achieve citizenship.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

WHAT SORT OF VISA? They are offering a 457 visa, why do you think I may lose my job? Is this a possibilty, surely as long as I perform well, I will be able to stay onboard and hope achieve citizenship.
I don't think anyone was saying that you would lose your job, just that if you did, you would have to leave the country. You will not progress to citizenship from a 457 visa, you would need to be on a permanent visa first.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I don't think anyone was saying that you would lose your job, just that if you did, you would have to leave the country. You will not progress to citizenship from a 457 visa, you would need to be on a permanent visa first.
Thanks Bermudashorts. I know the 457 will be a tempory long-term visa. Do you know how long we will have to wait to change to a permanent visa? Would this be done through Rio Tinto or would it be by ourselves?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bermudashorts. I know the 457 will be a tempory long-term visa. Do you know how long we will have to wait to change to a permanent visa? Would this be done through Rio Tinto or would it be by ourselves?
You cannot "change" a 457 visa into a permanent visa. It is temporary and always will be. If you want a permanent visa then you have to qualify and apply for one. There is no set time you have to spend on a 457 before you can apply for a permanent visa, if you qualify now you can apply now, many of us never do the temporary visa step.

You don't want to say what it is you do, but note that not all occupations are eligible for permanent visas.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I work in mining on a fifo role.

Your salary isnt bad. I would say it is about the norm for a junior to mid level geo, but low for an engineer. If you fifo at the moment from the UK then you will probably find it on the low side as you will obviously now pay tax.

As to how good it is for your lifestyle depends a lot on what you are used to having as a lifestyle in the UK. You wont starve on it, but you arent going to be well off on it. A big difference is if Rio are giving LAFHA. Check this out with them.

A lot of fifo guys live south of Perth in Rockingham and Mandurah. We are just south of Mandurah in Dawesville as a house next to the ocean is much more affordable.

The 457 visa is temp visa and you should come over with the thinking that you will be going back in 4 years time. However, do ask Rio if they will sponsor perm residence - probably will and the company sponsored perm residence is effectivly free, saving the thousands that people normally pay to get a perm visa and a lot quicker. Mine took for ever, but that was my fault. Once all the docs were in it took about a month. Compared to other routes which can take years.

Are you selling a house in the UK to come here? How much equity will you have if you want to buy here? Although the salary is "ok", you will find it hard to save much money on it and if you only have the normal 10% deposit then you are going to struggle to get much in the way of a decent house on that income.

Relocation packages are normally pretty good. I havent done a Rio one, but have a couple of others and it makes the move pretty easy. The norm is that they will appoint a removal company who will arrive and do all the packing, stuff it in a container and at this end, unpack and put it away for you. Nothing much to do really. You normally get a couple of weeks paid for in a hotel to find somewhere to live and of course flights and things.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 2:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Why do I think you may lose your job? Because the economy and general (and mining in particular), goes through cycles and in a down cycle, operations get reduced and people get fired.

Without being able to comment on the specific company, the general rule is that as a relatively new employee AND a "foreigner" (non-permanent-resident) in Australia, you are more vulnerable on both counts. Of course, you can protect yourself by agreeing clauses in your contract that say that if you are terminated, you get some kind of severance pay and/or full repatriation back to your home country.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why do I think you may lose your job? Because the economy and general (and mining in particular), goes through cycles and in a down cycle, operations get reduced and people get fired.

Without being able to comment on the specific company, the general rule is that as a relatively new employee AND a "foreigner" (non-permanent-resident) in Australia, you are more vulnerable on both counts. Of course, you can protect yourself by agreeing clauses in your contract that say that if you are terminated, you get some kind of severance pay and/or full repatriation back to your home country.
JAJ ....... You seem to be obsessed with this notion. I'm pretty sure most people are aware of visa restrictions. This is no different to travelling just about anywhere in the world for work. Who cares?????
Old Aug 16th 2011, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
JAJ ....... You seem to be obsessed with this notion. I'm pretty sure most people are aware of visa restrictions. This is no different to travelling just about anywhere in the world for work. Who cares?????
I agree. Also he could be perm resident within a few months via employee sponsored. Also, i believe severance pay is mandatory in Australia and the 457 stipulates that if employment is terminated the sponsor must repatriate the employee.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
I agree. Also he could be perm resident within a few months via employee sponsored. Also, i believe severance pay is mandatory in Australia and the 457 stipulates that if employment is terminated the sponsor must repatriate the employee.
JAJ also has a habit of advising people who are resident in Australia that they should sell up their assets transfer their pounds to Australia. Not sure why under current FX rates but for me I'm sending Aussie dollars back the other way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.