Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Offer in Gladstone - terrified!!

Job Offer in Gladstone - terrified!!

Old May 30th 2011, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

nicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to all
Unhappy Job Offer in Gladstone - terrified!!

:unsure

Hi All,

Haven't been on here for some time since we had to move back to the UK

My BF has been offered a welding job in Gladstone, this way we won't have to pay for the sponsorship visa or wait to apply for permanent residency

Last time we moved to Oz we lived on the Gold Coast, which we absolutely fell in love with and hope to eventually move back to.

BUT the job offer is in Gladstone. From reading the forums i haven't seen any positive feedback about Gladstone, which terrifies me!

My question is, are there any areas under an hour's driving distance to Gladstone which you would consider a 'preferable' place to live than Gladstone?

Me and my BF love sport, outdoors, beach, beautiful walks etc. We don't drink, so lack of nightlife/pubs doesn't bother us..

I know we won't find another Gold Coast close by, but can anyone suggest any nice areas to help ease this aweful panic i can't seem to get rid of?
Old May 30th 2011, 4:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer in Gladstone - terrified!!

Originally Posted by nicrock
My BF has been offered a welding job in Gladstone, this way we won't have to pay for the sponsorship visa or wait to apply for permanent residency
Are they going to sponsor you for the permanent visa, or just the temporary one?
Old May 30th 2011, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

nicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAJ
Are they going to sponsor you for the permanent visa, or just the temporary one?
Hi, They are sponsoring for a minimum 2 year visa, but the guy said after 9 months with them they will pay for us to apply for PR?
Old May 30th 2011, 4:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, They are sponsoring for a minimum 2 year visa, but the guy said after 9 months with them they will pay for us to apply for PR?
Will all that be in writing? What will be the consequences if they break their agreement?

Or if your husband is made redundant or the company goes bankrupt?

Or if you don't meet the DIAC requirements for PR?

And so on. You have a lot more issues to consider, unless you are happy to return home after the end of the contract.
Old May 30th 2011, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Will all that be in writing? What will be the consequences if they break their agreement?

Or if your husband is made redundant or the company goes bankrupt?

Or if you don't meet the DIAC requirements for PR?

And so on. You have a lot more issues to consider, unless you are happy to return home after the end of the contract.
My partner would be sponsored by a labour hire & company, which provides skilled and trades qualified workers to the engineering, manufacturing and construction industries.

The company thoroughly assesses international workers and the visa application and Australian Skills Testing is performed through registered Migration Agents.

They have a Labour Agreement with the Australian Department of Immigration which allows them to sponsor international candidates who are skilled and qualified in their nominated occupations to live and work in Australia for up 4 years.

A benefit of being sponsored by this company is that in the event of my partner losing his position of employment through the “Host Employer” we don't necessarily lose the visa. As the company make a contracted commitment to keep him employed.

After he has been working at the company for 9 months, they offer residency applications through the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS), which I believe is one of the quickest easiest ways to obtain residency.

Also, he will be are able to move positions without losing the sponsorship if we wish to do so.

As far as the company going bankrupt, we can't predict the future on this one and are fully prepared for these eventualities.

Any suggestions on Gladstone???
Old May 30th 2011, 5:42 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Your original question is regarding views on Gladstone and is not a visa question (although the visa situation was brought into it).

As you still want feedback on Gladstone and it's not a visa question, I'm moving this to the Aussie forum where hopefully you will get some sound advice re Gladstone from people who can help
Old May 30th 2011, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Your original question is regarding views on Gladstone and is not a visa question (although the visa situation was brought into it).

As you still want feedback on Gladstone and it's not a visa question, I'm moving this to the Aussie forum where hopefully you will get some sound advice re Gladstone from people who can help
That's great thank you, this question was definitely not intended to be a visa debate! Just feedback on Gladstone )
Old May 30th 2011, 5:53 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

That's great thank you, this question was definitely not intended to be a visa debate! Just feedback on Gladstone )
that's OK mate, I noticed it was in the immigration forum and I know you want an answer regarding Gladstone so this forum is much better for that kind of feedback

Once the buggars wake up that is
Old May 30th 2011, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Have spent a grand total of 3 hours in Gladstone - and it is by far 'not' the worst place in Australia.

Fifteen years ago I spent a satisfying 30 mins in KFC sampling the culinary delight that was potatoes in gravy - anyone else remember that?

Two years ago we stopped at the new shopping centre where the lovely lady sold me a $49 pay as you go phone. Decent Coles etc.

It is somewhat isolated but but there were no hoons driving round the car park at the time. It's no Gold Coast - have lived there so can comment with some authority - but then most places are unlike Surfers Paradise!
Old May 30th 2011, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Hi All,

Last time we moved to Oz we lived on the Gold Coast, which we absolutely fell in love with and hope to eventually move back to.

BUT the job offer is in Gladstone. From reading the forums i haven't seen any positive feedback about Gladstone, which terrifies me!

My question is, are there any areas under an hour's driving distance to Gladstone which you would consider a 'preferable' place to live than Gladstone?

Me and my BF love sport, outdoors, beach, beautiful walks etc. We don't drink, so lack of nightlife/pubs doesn't bother us..

I know we won't find another Gold Coast close by, but can anyone suggest any nice areas to help ease this aweful panic i can't seem to get rid of?
Having lived there for a few months I think awful panic may be slightly overstated, but probably not much. Dire shopping, poor restaurants, very parochial locals, large industrial industry, good fishing if thats your thing, relatively cheap rentals, good work opportunities for welding.
There's decent areas around Tannum Sands, about 30 mins south, which will give you the nice beach, walks.
You need to consider IF after 9 months you apply for RSMS visa, that may take 6 months, then you have to stay in regional area for a further 2 years before possibly moving to somewhere like Gold Coast .
So 3+ years in Gladstone? You may love it, or hate it.
Me personally, I would not believe much a labour hire firm told me regarding a permanent visa, and unfortunately the negatives of Gladstone for me far outweighed the positives.
I'm not planning to move back.
Old May 30th 2011, 11:39 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a few business trips to Gladstone, so I have very limited knowledge. With any luck, you'll get some responses from people who live in, or near, the town.

The centre of town is very quiet. On my first visit, I walked down the high street at approx 4pm on a Thursday afternoon, and it was nearly deserted.

Gladstone is an industrial town. Barney Point and Wiggins island are the two large coal terminals. Huge trains bring the coal into Gladstone and it is shipped out to China, India, Japan, etc. Queensland Alumina has a large refinery in Gladstone. Santos is also constructing an LNG plant there. Wages in these industries are above average. Before accepting a contract, your partner should ensure that he is being offered the market rate, as it will be fairly easy to employ UK contractors on below-average wages right now.

I've eaten out at a couple of restaurants in Gladstone and they were pretty average. Contrary to bezzanbob's comments, we were quite amused by 2 cars that drove up & down the highstreet on a Friday night. The local hoons had their music turned up and were driving slowly past the couple of pubs and restaurants. They were actually a couple of 17 or 18yr old girls if I remember rightly.

As has been pointed out to you - unless you get it in writing that the company will definitely apply for your permanent visa, then I wouldn't rely on that advice.

Gladstone and the gold coast are two very different places.
Old May 31st 2011, 3:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
It's no Gold Coast - have lived there so can comment with some authority - but then most places are unlike Surfers Paradise!
And the vast majority of the GC is unlike SP.
Old May 31st 2011, 12:25 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
I've had a few business trips to Gladstone, so I have very limited knowledge. With any luck, you'll get some responses from people who live in, or near, the town.

The centre of town is very quiet. On my first visit, I walked down the high street at approx 4pm on a Thursday afternoon, and it was nearly deserted.

Gladstone is an industrial town. Barney Point and Wiggins island are the two large coal terminals. Huge trains bring the coal into Gladstone and it is shipped out to China, India, Japan, etc. Queensland Alumina has a large refinery in Gladstone. Santos is also constructing an LNG plant there. Wages in these industries are above average. Before accepting a contract, your partner should ensure that he is being offered the market rate, as it will be fairly easy to employ UK contractors on below-average wages right now.

I've eaten out at a couple of restaurants in Gladstone and they were pretty average. Contrary to bezzanbob's comments, we were quite amused by 2 cars that drove up & down the highstreet on a Friday night. The local hoons had their music turned up and were driving slowly past the couple of pubs and restaurants. They were actually a couple of 17 or 18yr old girls if I remember rightly.

As has been pointed out to you - unless you get it in writing that the company will definitely apply for your permanent visa, then I wouldn't rely on that advice.

Gladstone and the gold coast are two very different places.
Exactly my experiences, albeit from a few years ago.

Very quiet industrial town (it claims to be a city). It feels like a Northern England town without the grime and pollution.

Not a bad place, but quite a long way from anywhere. Reasonable community spirit, nice people and welcoming.

Other people on BE would complain that its hard to find intellectual conversation, and they can’t find anyone who has read Houellebecq, but trust me that is a bonus.

It isn’t surfers by any means. It doesn’t even feel like the same hemisphere of the world, but it had a lot of industry and work, the people are happy and it’s just off the end of the Great Barrier Reef.

I would echo asprilla’s warning. A lot of people are trying to lure expats at below-average wages. If you can get work there on market rates you will be fine.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 1:15 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Tannum sands for 3 yrs it's 20 mins south of Gladstone, and I loved it. There's a lot of work in the area with the gas plants going in and wages are far higher than any of the capital cities. People are friendly the traffic is non existent and it's ideal if you love the outdoor lifestyle. My only gripe is shopping and health care anything slightly different and you need to travel to rockhampton or Brisbane.
If it helps I'm in Perth now and I miss living in central Queensland alot.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

I worked on a project in Gladstone and used to spend one week a month there...

I actually quite liked it there, it is an industrial town in that they only people who live there are pretty much there for work / projects etc however it is a nice part of the world and there are some nice beaches etc in the area.

The downside is the nightlife and places close early however as you are saying this isn't a priority of yours it shouldn't be a big deal..

It is a lot quieter than the GC and doesn't have the same vibe but it isn't the worst place in Australia not by a long shot....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.