Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job market in western Australia

Job market in western Australia

Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all
Default Job market in western Australia

I posted here before and will be moving to Perth soon.

I appreciate it if people in Perth can let me know whether it is very difficult to find work in the present economic climate, and whether the oil and gas sector is recruiting.

I have 7 years experience in oil and gas sector, mainly in the UK, but can anybody gives contact details of recruiters?

Thanks.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:42 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Job market in western Australia

Things seem to be picking up a lot of infrastructure is getting the go ahead now with stimulus coming and the massive Gordon project up north is also at teh detailed design stage.

But whether it will be like this in another year remains to be seen. I would hold out.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

inOz2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure how applicable this is to your sector/function but here's a general outlook on current employment in WA

http://business.watoday.com.au/busin...0709-de2g.html

Good luck
Old Jul 9th 2009, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaungchiau
I posted here before and will be moving to Perth soon.

I appreciate it if people in Perth can let me know whether it is very difficult to find work in the present economic climate, and whether the oil and gas sector is recruiting.

I have 7 years experience in oil and gas sector, mainly in the UK, but can anybody gives contact details of recruiters?

Thanks.
I work for Oil & Gas sector here in WA - not so much of a slump here as a lot of our projects are international.

What kind of work are you looking for in Oil & Gas? What do you do? Might be able to give you some pointers
Old Jul 9th 2009, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all

Thanks everyone for their reply. My experience was in LNG, liquefied natural gas. I am mainly looking for oil and gas contractor, or client like Woodside.

Are recruitment still going strong?
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaungchiau
Thanks everyone for their reply. My experience was in LNG, liquefied natural gas. I am mainly looking for oil and gas contractor, or client like Woodside.

Are recruitment still going strong?
Slowing down - but quality personnel are always looked at favourably.

All the best
Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:49 am
Just Joined

thesfactor is an unknown quantity at this point

Good people,
I'm an Indian citizen but I am in a similar situation so I was wondering if someone could provide some guidance. I'm basically working in the US under H1B visa status as a Production Engineer (Petroleum Engineering). I have 2 years work experience with a masters degree in the same field. I would like to have some kind of backup in case I lose my job in the USA because of the recession and hence was thinking about immigrating in Australia. Is it easy to find jobs with my experience at the moment in Oz? Most websites I look at require over 5-10 years of experience which I do not have, where are the Production Engineering jobs concentrated in Oz? What are typical salaries like? I'd appreciate any input you could give me. Thank you very much in advance!
Old Jul 11th 2009, 3:15 am
Just Joined

leon.richmond is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright mate, i came to perth 3 months ago armed with 6 years civils experience, could not get a job for love nor money...was getting desperate and on the verge of calling it a day when i managed to get myself in with a big civils firm working on the Gorgon Gas project on Barrow Island.(and getting sponsored in the process!!) Its going to be the biggest project in the world next year ($50 BILLION!!!) yes billion and its mainly LNG works...I think Theiss have just picked up a major part of it just yesterday...so id suggest you start getting your cv touched up because its going to be Massive

Hays, Hill McGlynn and the other main recruiters are going to be working overtime for this project so that would be a good place to start..I know hays are already recruiting for it

Last edited by leon.richmond; Jul 11th 2009 at 3:18 am.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 3:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leon.richmond
Alright mate, i came to perth 3 months ago armed with 6 years civils experience, could not get a job for love nor money...was getting desperate and on the verge of calling it a day when i managed to get myself in with a big civils firm working on the Gorgon Gas project on Barrow Island.(and getting sponsored in the process!!) Its going to be the biggest project in the world next year ($50 BILLION!!!) yes billion and its mainly LNG works...I think Theiss have just picked up a major part of it just yesterday...so id suggest you start getting your cv touched up because its going to be Massive

Hays, Hill McGlynn and the other main recruiters are going to be working overtime for this project so that would be a good place to start..I know hays are already recruiting for it
Cool but just a note of caution; Gorgon has not got final financial approval yet - this is expected next month and will probably happen. All contracts awarded so far are conditional on FFP - if it does not happen they will be cancelled.

Final approval of the 2nd desal plant was signed this week and it's full steam ahead on that.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Cool but just a note of caution; Gorgon has not got final financial approval yet - this is expected next month and will probably happen. All contracts awarded so far are conditional on FFP - if it does not happen they will be cancelled.

Final approval of the 2nd desal plant was signed this week and it's full steam ahead on that.

Gorgon EPCM as far as I know is being run by KBR, they'd be your first point of call for a job, bypass agencies they talk shit and take your money.

Things are still pretty quiet on other fronts though bar desal
Old Jul 11th 2009, 5:16 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Gorgon EPCM as far as I know is being run by KBR, they'd be your first point of call for a job, bypass agencies they talk shit and take your money.

Things are still pretty quiet on other fronts though bar desal
Agencies don't take your money at all. It is illegal for recrutiment agencies to charge job applicants a fee for finding them work. All the money recruiters earn is paid for by their clients.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Deancm
Agencies don't take your money at all. It is illegal for recrutiment agencies to charge job applicants a fee for finding them work. All the money recruiters earn is paid for by their clients.
They either take a big cut of your pay that you could get yourself by going direct to the company if you know how, or take a big sign on fee

Either way if you can do without an agent, which many new comers can't you should
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
They either take a big cut of your pay that you could get yourself by going direct to the company if you know how, or take a big sign on fee
Do you think agenices work for free?

Firstly, they don't take a cut of your pay, you would likely get the same market rate irrespective. Employers that use agencies budget for agency fees on top of what they pay their contractors. A sign on fee? There is no such thing. There is a placement fee, but this again has got nothing to do with what salary you would be paid. The only connection between what you get paid and the agency fee is that the fee is calculated as a percentage of the rate/salary. Apart from that they are mutually exclusive.

You are talking the usual anti-agency propaganda that has been circulating for years.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

kids carer will become famous soon enoughkids carer will become famous soon enough

My DH got a job here through an agency and he didnt pay them a single cent. At the same time he applied to several agencies and companies and as a result got offered 5 jobs. There was a difference of $50k between the less paying job and the most and the job he eventually accepted was with an agency and he was offered another $10k to take it as the agency had obviously told the company my DH was in demand.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 11:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kids carer
My DH got a job here through an agency and he didnt pay them a single cent. At the same time he applied to several agencies and companies and as a result got offered 5 jobs. There was a difference of $50k between the less paying job and the most and the job he eventually accepted was with an agency and he was offered another $10k to take it as the agency had obviously told the company my DH was in demand.
Exactly. Most agencies can negotiate better salaries because this is their bread and butter. Most job seekers don't negotiate for a living and are usually to scared of losing a job offer due to negotiating salary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.