Reload this Page >

Job Market in Oz????

Job Market in Oz????

Old Nov 14th 2010, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Spuddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Market in Oz????

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to find out what the job market in Australia is like these times and particularly in Sydney. I am a chartered accountant having trained in practice and also 1yr post qualification experience in an industry role.

I have been applying for some positions in Sydney but from what I understand I will not be considered until I arrive out there. My intention is to make the move in the new year so I will probably apply for a working holiday visa, however do people secure employment before they go out or do I just hope for the best when I get out there?

Also does anyone have any advise on looking for work or names of good recruitment agents in Sydney?

Cheers,
Spuddie
Old Nov 14th 2010, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Market in Oz????

As you have found the market is certainly not such that employers need to look at overseas candidates without visas already lined up .

But I think once you are here it shouldn't be too hard to pick something up, your WHV status could be a little off-putting for some employers, but there are usually some short term needs.
The agencies I would recommend are much the same as back in UK, Hayes, Michael Page etc.

You mention "making the move", note that a WHV is not "moving" to Australia it is a one year visa and there is no guarantee that it will lead to anything else. There is also a possibility you could shoot yourself in the foot if you are looking for PR eventually as you probably qualify now but if you don't secure relevant experience in Australia you might not qualify in the future.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Spuddie
Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to find out what the job market in Australia is like these times and particularly in Sydney. I am a chartered accountant having trained in practice and also 1yr post qualification experience in an industry role.

I have been applying for some positions in Sydney but from what I understand I will not be considered until I arrive out there. My intention is to make the move in the new year so I will probably apply for a working holiday visa, however do people secure employment before they go out or do I just hope for the best when I get out there?

Also does anyone have any advise on looking for work or names of good recruitment agents in Sydney?

Cheers,
Spuddie
Hi Spuddie - me again

Just curious why you'd go out on a WHV, surely you qualify on points to get a more permanent visa? I wonder if some employers might look at your visa status and not be inclined to give you a permanent gig given that you're only eligible to be there for a short time period, or are you using the WHV to get you out there and hoping to get sponsored once there..... Maybe some recruitment people based in Sydney could give you some advice about whether companies are still doing that at the moment... If you google 'sydney acounting recruitment' you'll find some agencies that can help you with your research, in addition to Michael Page I would add companies like:
mckpeople.com.au
richardlloyd.com.au

Good luck with you decisions,
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Hey SamG,

Thanks for your advise and suggestions...appreciate it! In relation to the visa, to be honest from what I have read it appears to be the easiest way of gettin out there and like you say if all goes well then possibly get sponsored by a company for more permanent residency.

I would like the re-assurance of having secured a position before I go out....I have heard a few stories were people have gone out only to return home within a few months because they cannot get a job...but I hope that maybe with a professional qualification and some savings that I will have better luck!

Thanks again,
Spuddie
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hey SamG,

Thanks for your advise and suggestions...appreciate it! In relation to the visa, to be honest from what I have read it appears to be the easiest way of gettin out there and like you say if all goes well then possibly get sponsored by a company for more permanent residency.

I would like the re-assurance of having secured a position before I go out....I have heard a few stories were people have gone out only to return home within a few months because they cannot get a job...but I hope that maybe with a professional qualification and some savings that I will have better luck!

Thanks again,
Spuddie
If you are looking for PR, then I would not recommend a WHV as a stepping stone, not when you qualify for PR now. Did you consider my post above about shooting yourself in the foot?

I am not sure there would be that many companies willing to sponsor a newly / recently qualified accountant for PR. And your chances of finding a job as a WHV before you get out there are slim.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If you are looking for PR, then I would not recommend a WHV as a stepping stone, not when you qualify for PR now. Did you consider my post above about shooting yourself in the foot?

I am not sure there would be that many companies willing to sponsor a newly / recently qualified accountant for PR. And your chances of finding a job as a WHV before you get out there are slim.
Hi Bermudashorts...thanks for your comments, can you suggest the visa I should apply for? I hear that a sponsored visa can take up to 12months to get sorted...
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Bermudashorts...thanks for your comments, can you suggest the visa I should apply for? I hear that a sponsored visa can take up to 12months to get sorted...
I am not telling you what to do. I am explaining potential pitfalls, in that a WHV could mean you won't qualify for PR down the line even though you do now. It is up to you what you do. If you don't want to wait then go ahead on your WHV.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

I would like the re-assurance of having secured a position before I go out
Not impossible, but unlikely unless you're highly skilled/experienced/in demand. After all, why would an Australian company hire you, an unknown quantity when they can hire a local, who also has no visa limitations?

WHV is intended for casual work while holidaying, not starting a career (although some do).
Old Nov 16th 2010, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough

Spuddie,

Maybe you should also talk to a migration agent or 2 (or 3!!)who can advise you on a course of action and a timeframe. Get a few opinions and don't hand over any money whilst researching

Honestly IMO the more research you do the better it is, it can feel a bit overwhelming to start with but as soon as you get some information then the whole process becomes easier to manage.

Good luck,
Old Nov 16th 2010, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

If you're under 30 and single WHV is perfect to try before you buy in Aus. You can travel all over the country getting a feel for where you'd like to live and work, testing out employers and it only takes a couple of weeks to grant and costs a fraction of the price. If you find a good one and they like you go through employer sponsored. Much much better than slogging it out through PR and waiting up to 3 years.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
If you're under 30 and single WHV is perfect to try before you buy in Aus. You can travel all over the country getting a feel for where you'd like to live and work, testing out employers and it only takes a couple of weeks to grant and costs a fraction of the price. If you find a good one and they like you go through employer sponsored. Much much better than slogging it out through PR and waiting up to 3 years.
Why are you telling me?

As I have said, I am advising of potential pitfalls with that approach. I run a very large team of accountants and I have so far seen no need to sponsor a newly qualified accountant for PR.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Why are you telling me?

As I have said, I am advising of potential pitfalls with that approach. I run a very large team of accountants and I have so far seen no need to sponsor a newly qualified accountant for PR.
Because he's a young bloke and wants to enjoy himself, not sit around waiting for a PR visa to come through?

If it's as you say then someone coming out on a WHV looking for contract work is far more employable.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 3:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Everyone,

Cheers,
Spuddie
A friend of mine went from WHV, to 457, to PR - so it is possible, although will take a few years.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Because he's a young bloke and wants to enjoy himself, not sit around waiting for a PR visa to come through?

If it's as you say then someone coming out on a WHV looking for contract work is far more employable.
And that is what I said on post #7.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Ooh its all kicking off here

In my humble opinion (reading the good advice on here) either OP risks it and it may be possible to do WHV -> Get job -> PR or he applies now for PR and moves over for good in 2 years.

Has OP been out here before? Does he know what its like? Has he looked for jobs on Seek and spoke to agents etc etc. Sometimes people think they can just pitch up and people will be falling over themselves to hire them but you never know. I am sure OP has done his research!