Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job market at Christmastime?

Job market at Christmastime?

Old May 13th 2005, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Goodwin will become famous soon enoughGoodwin will become famous soon enough
Default Job market at Christmastime?

Does anyone know if there is a slump in the job market at Christmas time downunder like there is here? I was just wondering if everything slows down as its not only Christmas but their summer holidays also. I am thinking of moving over there about November and just wanted to know what the job market will be like?
Old May 13th 2005, 7:17 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job market at Christmastime?

Originally Posted by Goodwin
Does anyone know if there is a slump in the job market at Christmas time downunder like there is here? I was just wondering if everything slows down as its not only Christmas but their summer holidays also. I am thinking of moving over there about November and just wanted to know what the job market will be like?

Yes. Dont expect it to pick up again after xmas probably til the beginning of Feb if you are coming to Qld. I imagine other states are at least similar.
Old May 13th 2005, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Yes. Dont expect it to pick up again after xmas probably til the beginning of Feb if you are coming to Qld. I imagine other states are at least similar.
Yes Goodwin, here in Sydney everything slows down from mid-December and nothing really gets going properly again until after Australia Day Jan 26 after which the kids return to school after summer hols. Employment opportunities start to appear from early-mid Feb. You might be able to pick up some casual work in a seasonally affected type of position (tourist areas/Christmas-New Year casuals in smaller stores-forget the big Dept stores they recruit their Christmas casuals in August/Sept). Bring money, sunblock & some good books. OH just the money you can get the rest here...

Last edited by TopCat3; May 13th 2005 at 8:16 am.
Old May 13th 2005, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Goodwin will become famous soon enoughGoodwin will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the reply.
May have to rethink departure date?
Old May 13th 2005, 10:44 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

It does here in Victoria. One of the reasons is that a company does not want to take someone on full time just before christmas and then have to pay them christmas holiday and penalty rates straight up.
Old May 14th 2005, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

suzysu is an unknown quantity at this point

I arrived in sydney end of nov and found it difficult even finding temp work. managed to get a temp job beginning of jan though.
I think it just depends on luck and what type of work your looking for. If you can arrive earlier than nov, you will prob have a better chance of landing yourself a job and of course enjoy the sunshine at the same time

Su
Old May 14th 2005, 3:54 pm
Merlot

The whole of Oz goes on go slow or stop from mid December to early Feb, even temp work.

Make it time to top up the tan.

M

Old May 15th 2005, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Merlot
The whole of Oz goes on go slow or stop from mid December to early Feb, even temp work.

Make it time to top up the tan.

M
Absolutely right, Merlot, it's stressful for me cos I'm a casual worker in an industry that "dies" in that period. For people immigrating though, one last Christmas with family in England then over to Oz to get settled into a new home, see the Sydney Festival in January (if that's your destination) and generally feel your way in with Australia Day celebrations and give the kids a summer holiday before starting school, then starting your job hunt in feb, might be the way to go if finances permit.
Old May 15th 2005, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

wafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nice

Santa at Myer,they seem to have about twenty in each store!