Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Interviews/ References question....

Job Interviews/ References question....

Old May 19th 2007, 7:54 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Job Interviews/ References question....

I recently posted a thread detailing Mrs Fluffys telephone interview with QLD health.
We now have a question regarding references and wondered if any of you wise old sages could answer it?
Is OZ different to the UK in that they generally check your ref's BEFORE offering a job, or is it known for them to make an offer BASED UPON a satisfactory ref check at a later day?
Old May 19th 2007, 7:56 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Interviews/ References question....

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
I recently posted a thread detailing Mrs Fluffys telephone interview with QLD health.
We now have a question regarding references and wondered if any of you wise old sages could answer it?
Is OZ different to the UK in that they generally check your ref's BEFORE offering a job, or is it known for them to make an offer BASED UPON a satisfactory ref check at a later day?
We always check references prior to offer of employment. If she has not already done so, have Mrs Fluffy email or fax her letters of reference to Qld Health and let her referees know they may be contacting them for phone ref check.
Good luck
Old May 19th 2007, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We always check references prior to offer of employment. If she has not already done so, have Mrs Fluffy email or fax her letters of reference to Qld Health and let her referees know they may be contacting them for phone ref check.
Good luck
Thanks Dorothy, is this standard practice?
Just wondering if it would seem a bit presumptious, faxing ref's a week after the interview?
They already have her referee's details, we assumed this would suffice?
Old May 19th 2007, 9:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Thanks Dorothy, is this standard practice?
Just wondering if it would seem a bit presumptious, faxing ref's a week after the interview?
They already have her referee's details, we assumed this would suffice?
Oh, well in that case, they will contact referees when they are ready. I know that for our clients we always check references prior to putting a candidate forward. For large intakes, like the gov't one we just did, we ref check every person before they get to the second interview stage. We interview them all in our office, ref check, then send on to gov't dept for them to interview.
I would think it's standard practice for most large corporations/government bodies to ref check prior to offer of employment. It probably would be a bit presumptuous to send refs now if she hasn't been asked. Didn't know she already gave details.
Old May 20th 2007, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Oh, well in that case, they will contact referees when they are ready. I know that for our clients we always check references prior to putting a candidate forward. For large intakes, like the gov't one we just did, we ref check every person before they get to the second interview stage. We interview them all in our office, ref check, then send on to gov't dept for them to interview.
I would think it's standard practice for most large corporations/government bodies to ref check prior to offer of employment. It probably would be a bit presumptuous to send refs now if she hasn't been asked. Didn't know she already gave details.
Thanks Dorothy