British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Job Interviews on holiday (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/job-interviews-holiday-921972/)

UK_BA Feb 11th 2019 4:32 pm

Job Interviews on holiday

Hi all,

Apologies if this isn’t a new question for this forum, I've scoured the past year's posts and haven't found a specific answer.

After spending a year on a working holiday visa a few years back, I’ve been trying hard to return for a permanent stay. I now have a wife & 2 kids to make the trip with me. As this life decision isn’t the most straight forward to make based off my stories and episodes of wanted down under, my wife has agreed to test the waters by taking the family on a holiday to Melbourne & Brisbane to check out the way of life along with lining up a few home viewings, school tours and a couple of job interviews for us both.

What I’d like some help and guidance on is, do you think it is advisable for me to complete my Skills Assessment prior to the holiday / job interviews?

I’m torn as I feel it may not be needed & it can be money we could use while on holiday. On the other hand I feel it may increase my chances when discussing potential employment to show that not only am I serious about emigrating but also that I can actually emigrate. If it helps, I’ll be looking to undertake the skills assessment with the Australian Computer Society (ACS) as an IT Business Analyst, my wife with VETASSESS as a ESOL Teacher.

Any help that you can offer will be a great help! Along with any other pointers, thinks I should be aware of before visiting.

Thanks all

quoll Feb 11th 2019 6:16 pm

Re: Job Interviews on holiday

Youre not likely to get an interview on a tourist visa and if immigration get a whiff that that is what you are planning to do they will probably pop you straight back on the plane. If you've got your PR visa and use it as a validation visit you might have a slightly better chance but you'd need to be ready to start almost immediately. Real life isn't WDU

UK_BA Feb 11th 2019 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 12635699)
Youre not likely to get an interview on a tourist visa and if immigration get a whiff that that is what you are planning to do they will probably pop you straight back on the plane. If you've got your PR visa and use it as a validation visit you might have a slightly better chance but you'd need to be ready to start almost immediately. Real life isn't WDU

Good call on the tourist visa remark. I've done some digging on different visas and found there is a Business Visitor visa available (I can't post links until I have 5 posts). If I apply for this visa, my question still stands, would it be good practice to complete a Skills Assessment to present to any potential employers?

Apologies maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'm well aware WDU isn't real life, hence the decision to take a holiday to see what life is like first hand, and see how the family feel about it first hand. Hopefully that give us the determination to up-sticks and actually make it down under.

carcajou Feb 11th 2019 8:38 pm

Quoll is correct. If you come to job interviews while on a tourist visa, immigration will fear that you are going to stay permanently. Or if they do a random bag search at the airport and find it stuffed with CVs . . .

Having a positive skills assessment is not proof of ability to migrate and will not impress employers, if they even know what that is. PR visa is the only proof that you are able to migrate.

What is your points total?

verystormy Feb 12th 2019 4:33 am

Most employers aren't going to even know what a skills assessment is. They just want to know have you got a visa.

Also, be aware, many people have to have a holiday to Oz after the visa is granted as you have to make first entry within 12 months of police or medical checks (which ever was earlier) Many people are not in a position to make the final move in that time and so do a validation trip.