Job interviews

Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Tabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really nice
Default Job interviews

Hello

I am at the stage where I can start doing the dreaded telephone interviews for nursing jobs in WA.

Partner suggested that maybe I should take a flight over and do them face to face instead?

I would value some opinions

Is it worth the expense? Would I benefit more from going over than staying here and doing it on the phone?

Thanks in advance

Jackie
x
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:22 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Job interviews

I wouldn't even bother unless you could easily afford the extra expenses.

It seems like there have been quite a few nurses on here that have got jobs over the phone. If you were going over on a trip then I would try to plan a few interviews while you're there. But I wouldn't just fly over for an interview and then go home. If I was an employer I would think that was sort of silly myself.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:24 am
Banned

NewOZ will become famous soon enoughNewOZ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tabbiespice
Hello

I am at the stage where I can start doing the dreaded telephone interviews for nursing jobs in WA.

Partner suggested that maybe I should take a flight over and do them face to face instead?

I would value some opinions

Is it worth the expense? Would I benefit more from going over than staying here and doing it on the phone?

Thanks in advance

Jackie
x
if you can do it by phone, why go for face to face?!
if they intrested they will ask you to come for face to face interview ( you may ask them to pay for expenses )
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Tabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really nice

Thanks guys

The reason my other half suggested it is because (and dont laugh) I have a phone phobia!

That may sound crazy as I am a nurse but when I am in work then it really isnt a problem at all.

Outside of work I have a real problem calling people and official people are even more terrifying.

I have seriously traveled miles and miles to speak to someone rather than pick the phone up.

Texts and emails are my saviour

If they did the interview over MSN then I would be THE happiest person alive

I am inviting ridicule I suppose by telling you all this but I cant help it. I know it is irrational but there you go.

The other half also knows that I am much more personable, presentable, eloquent etc etc in person then I am on the phone

And at the end of the day a smile could be the clincher to getting the job!

Oh and it wouldnt just be for interviews....I would use the oppo to do a "reccie" of Perth and check out nice areas, sort accomodation, schools, cars etc etc

Jackie
xxxxx
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Dreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really nice

Thanks guys

The reason my other half suggested it is because (and dont laugh) I have a phone phobia!

Jackie
xxxxx

And there was me thinking I was the only person in the entire world who must have that phobia LOL
My husband got an email from IBM australia today (we met them at the Manchester Expo), they want to talk to him on the phone (glad it's him and not me ) He's really worried now as he has a bit of a stammer
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oz_Dreamer
And there was me thinking I was the only person in the entire world who must have that phobia LOL
My husband got an email from IBM australia today (we met them at the Manchester Expo), they want to talk to him on the phone (glad it's him and not me ) He's really worried now as he has a bit of a stammer
Yay!! I am not alone
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Dreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really nice

Yay!! I am not alone

We cpuld start up a self help group........mind you we'd probably be the only members
Old Nov 9th 2007, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

nicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant future

Hi, I am a nurse too and got my jeb in Perth over the phone. It was very informal and relaxed. No need to go there just sit in your pyjamas ( i did ) with a cup of coffee whilst they interview you. Saves buying a new suit
Good Luck!!!!!

Nicky the nurse
Old Nov 9th 2007, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Thanks guys

That may sound crazy as I am a nurse but when I am in work then it really isnt a problem at all.

Outside of work I have a real problem calling people and official people are even more terrifying.

I have seriously traveled miles and miles to speak to someone rather than pick the phone up.

Texts and emails are my saviour

If they did the interview over MSN then I would be THE happiest person alive

I am inviting ridicule I suppose by telling you all this but I cant help it. I know it is irrational but there you go.

The other half also knows that I am much more personable, presentable, eloquent etc etc in person then I am on the phone

And at the end of the day a smile could be the clincher to getting the job!

Oh and it wouldnt just be for interviews....I would use the oppo to do a "reccie" of Perth and check out nice areas, sort accomodation, schools, cars etc etc

Jackie
xxxxx
Can you not do it by web cam with someone like Skype. It would save the cost of the flight, you could see them and they you, and hopefully you would not feel like it was on the phone. I've heard of a few people who have had teleconference interviews over the net. Just a thought!

Last edited by sals; Nov 9th 2007 at 2:02 pm. Reason: spelling!
Old Nov 10th 2007, 4:34 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I would imagine they will be the ones to call you. Maybe that will make it a bit easier.

If it makes you feel any better I absolutely hate public speaking. But I'm actually a high school teacher if that makes any sense. No problem teaching in front of a class all day, but ask me to make a speech to a room of people and I'm incredibly nervous.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 7:01 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oz_Dreamer
We cpuld start up a self help group........mind you we'd probably be the only members
No, I'm in. I don't have a phone on my desk at work and don't want one. Very rarely will I speak on the phone at home, either. I much prefer email or sitting down to a letter.

Hello, my name is Dorothy and I'm a phonophobe.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No, I'm in. I don't have a phone on my desk at work and don't want one. Very rarely will I speak on the phone at home, either. I much prefer email or sitting down to a letter.

Hello, my name is Dorothy and I'm a phonophobe.

Yay 3 members!!
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:25 am
Just Joined

the harrys is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
Can I join your phonophobics group too? lol!
I'm a nurse as well, can talk the hind legs off a donkey face to face, although crap when I have a group to teach, and will do almost anything to avoid ringing people!
My saviours are also email and text!
My affliction doesn't help with my other job which is a Virgin vie branch manager, my team are used to texts, and my manager is always trying to persuade me to call them instead, but i'm a chicken. as for calling customers, not a great chance of that! buggers the repeat business side of things.

My OH is in Perth at the mo doing a reccie, must admit most of what he has told me, I have already read on this MB, but has given him an idea of how things are there, and he's very excited about making the move now.
He went for an informal visit to the hospital he has a couple of friends working at, and all positive vibes. think it will be 'all systems go' when he gets back with the paperwork side of things.

Sorry for the ramble, but to answer the question about going over for interviews and reccie, I would if we didn't have school age kids and more funds available, go for it! I will have to rely on OH judgement, and will be going for the first time when we make the big move.

Helen (& Danny + 4 kids) x
Old Nov 10th 2007, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Welcome to the group helen