Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Interview: Salary questions

Job Interview: Salary questions

Old Apr 16th 2007, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold
Default Job Interview: Salary questions

hi everyone,

assuming you are at the interview and the interviewer asks the standard question, "So what kind of salary did you have in mind"?

being a new migrant and not really knowing what the exact salaries are for the dozens of jobs (entry level/assistant manager) I am applying for.

tried searching the jobs sites but the ranges vary....

what would a safe answer be? assuming I just want them to pay a fair salary?

I am not sure if "I would just like to be given a fair salary" or my true sentiment of "I will take anything" sounds good to the interviewer...

thanks!
Old Apr 16th 2007, 4:37 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Interview: Salary questions

Originally Posted by obiwan
hi everyone,

assuming you are at the interview and the interviewer asks the standard question, "So what kind of salary did you have in mind"?

being a new migrant and not really knowing what the exact salaries are for the dozens of jobs (entry level/assistant manager) I am applying for.

I am not sure if "I would just like to be given a fair salary" or my true sentiment of "I will take anything" sounds good to the interviewer...

thanks!
i would be interested to hear the answer on this one as well, as my answers have been something like "well, i am a little unsure on the rates of pay for this post over here, so whatever that is". obviously not using those words
Old Apr 16th 2007, 5:31 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

hi everyone,

thanks!

I would say something along the lines of "Salary isnt my prime motivator, I realise im new to the country and dont have that local knowledge yet, at present my aim is to really find the right opportunity, which I now think i've done having heard you describe the position, so I wouldnt be expecting anything beyond what you'd normally pay as market rate"
If that doesnt prompt them than maybe follow up with "to be honest im really looking for a bit of guidance from you, although I have x experience back in the UK im not sure I can realisticaqlly expect a like for like salary can I?, this is what I was earning in the UK how would that compare to what you would be offering?"

Good luck
Steve
Old Apr 16th 2007, 6:50 am
k76
Forum Regular

k76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nice

I think this is a question you want to avoid anyway(new to country or not). They may offer more than you think(has happened to me in the past). For once you can learn something from politicians, try to dance around it! So using the fact that you are new to the country is a viable excuse. You can also say something like this: At this stage I would like to see if I am the right person for the job. If I am, I'm sure you will offer me a competitive package.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the advice Steve99 and K76!

Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

tonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant future

Thanks for the advice Steve99 and K76!

Have a look at this link:

http://www.hays.com.au/salary/default.aspx

It has a list of salary ranges that cover most industries in each of the states. I found it an excellent guide when going to interviews just to give me a ball park figure.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the link! its really good! now i am not in the dark anymore

cheers
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

GaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really nice

Yep - do your research prior to going into the interview. If you can find someone in the same sort of job in the same sort of company then you are off to a good start. Know as much as you can about the company, sector, job specification, industry, historical and present market for product and company, other staff positions and roles (ambition to fulfil one of these eventually if asked where you see yourself in 5 years time).

Never undersell yourself as employers will take it as a negative personality trait. You also have to be careful not to ask for too much. A tricky balancing act!

Good employers will realise the value of good staff, so make sure you can achieve that criteria first, as that will come across in an interview far better than anything else.

You'll generally always be asked what salary you think you are worth, or what salary you have in mind, so you have to learn to deal with it positively and with knowledge to back up your predicted worth to the company in the long term.

Good luck with it anyway.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
I would say something along the lines of "Salary isnt my prime motivator, I realise im new to the country and dont have that local knowledge yet, at present my aim is to really find the right opportunity, which I now think i've done having heard you describe the position, so I wouldnt be expecting anything beyond what you'd normally pay as market rate"
If that doesnt prompt them than maybe follow up with "to be honest im really looking for a bit of guidance from you, although I have x experience back in the UK im not sure I can realisticaqlly expect a like for like salary can I?, this is what I was earning in the UK how would that compare to what you would be offering?"

Good luck
Steve
I reckon this would be the way to go, anything more might just make you look tricky. I asked for slightly less, (even after making enquiries) in my first permy job, and the manager told me I was selling myself short and increased it.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

GaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I reckon this would be the way to go, anything more might just make you look tricky. I asked for slightly less, (even after making enquiries) in my first permy job, and the manager told me I was selling myself short and increased it.
Or tell them that the way you work and your attitude (which will more than make up for your lack of local knowledge) makes you worth the market rate, which you know to be around the $XX K figure, so you'll be happy to be getting within 5% of that and to review it after a period based on performance. Gives both you and them an incentive!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice guys!