Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Hunting Strategies

Job Hunting Strategies

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice
Default Job Hunting Strategies

Hi All,

Am looking for some help with job seeking tips.

We've been in bunbury, WA for 2 weeks. My husband (an aussie citizen) is employed with his old UK company as a consultant statistician and is doing a few hours a week over skype.
However, this money will dry up v. soon and he NEEDS a job. I am a teacher and work is no problem but have to wait for the wretched education department to process my paperwork.

My husband has a phd in mathematics. We've exhausted recruitment agencies, internet and newspaper as job seeking strategies. What are we missing?

Thanks,

Gemma
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enoughLeeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Job Hunting Strategies

How about he walks around the businesses he would like to work for (or is able to work for) and ask about vacancies, taking a good few CV's with him?

Not an easy situation to be in. Good luck.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Kimmy67 will become famous soon enoughKimmy67 will become famous soon enough

We have found it is definately a case of WHO you know, not WHAT you know, so get out and get networking.....Plus I have found CV's a waste of time if you get a reply back at all from submitting them that is. I have sent out 8 now and only got reply back to 2 saying no. So I am about to try the phone call tactic or face to face approach.

If the face fits....plus don't forget you are in the Wait a While state, my huby phoned for job 2 weeks after being here, and the guy said we'll meet up for a coffee and a chat in the next couple of days, a week later he calls back to arrange it.. then it was ok I'll ring you on Monday to tell you where to meet us, the following week he rings to tell him...there is never any urgency so patience is a virtue and a neccesity!!

Kim
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice

Thanks guys,

We will stick at it. Sadly the 'who' we know are retired farmers only!!

Cheers,

Gemma
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

dolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by foxall22
Thanks guys,

We will stick at it. Sadly the 'who' we know are retired farmers only!!

Cheers,

Gemma
I think is a numbers game apply for as many as possible up & increase your chances. Register with all temp agencies too. Dolly