Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

job hunting slow

job hunting slow

Old Dec 1st 2004, 5:42 am

guest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the rough
Default job hunting slow

HI,

finally made it, been in sydney for 5 weeks noe following our marriage, but the job hunt is real slow, I want to get into Facilities and Building Management, but as i'm off the "boat" they don't seem interested or the fact that my experience of 6 years doesn't work against my lack of tertiary qualification.......................so anyone out there got any advice or indeed a position for me.............cheers
Old Dec 1st 2004, 5:46 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: job hunting slow

Originally Posted by kiwiloverjohn
HI,

finally made it, been in sydney for 5 weeks noe following our marriage, but the job hunt is real slow, I want to get into Facilities and Building Management, but as i'm off the "boat" they don't seem interested or the fact that my experience of 6 years doesn't work against my lack of tertiary qualification.......................so anyone out there got any advice or indeed a position for me.............cheers
I think you may find that the job market slows down now for Christmas, and won't really pick up until the end of January.

Old Dec 1st 2004, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of job you need local experience or how would you know the regs?

How about taking a few steps down, get some local gen and then work your way back up. Building industry traditionally takes its annual break around Xmas, many suppliers/subbies shut anywhere from 18 dec to 17 jan some for 2 weeks and some for 4. And no most dont get paid in case anyone thinks it sounds great
Old Dec 1st 2004, 1:48 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwiloverjohn
HI,

Wow, have never heard of anyone doing what I am qualified for!
I've got the (Dutch) qualifications, you've got the experience!

Can't help btw, good luck.
Hopefully you'll have more luck in Febuary. And yeah, you might need step down.

I had just graduated when I came over here, so grabbed the first thing I could get. I'm now receptionist/secretary/admin etc.
I'm not really ambitious, and am quite lazy, so I'm happy with this easy job(for now anyway).
You never know, the company is growing, so maybe one day they'll need a facilities manager