Job Hunting

Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

MMC_HGV is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Job Hunting

hi we are looking to be in the perth area around september, my husband and i would be on a sponsorship visa, he has a job offer and im just curious how long it has taken other people to find employment and if there is plenty of job opportunity. ive worked in supermarkets and i currently work in a food processing factory so any advice would be appreciated!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Default Re: Job Hunting

It can take anywhere from 1 week to 6 months to get employment as it really just depends on how hard you try and a bit of luck being in the right place at the right time with the correct experience and qualifications if needed.

It also helps if you have connections as this can be a good way of finding work.

If your going in Sept I would start looking and applying now as some employers can be slow to respond.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

MMC_HGV is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the response, i am going to start applying soon but i wasn't sure if they'd consider me as i'm not yet in the country.

Last edited by MMC_HGV; Jun 2nd 2011 at 9:44 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MMC_HGV
Thanks for the response, i am going to start applying soon but i wasn't sure if they'd consider me as i'm not yet in the country.
Most employers will want you to be in the country but that shouldn't stop you from applying. The Uk can take upto 4 weeks just to get a response and Oz can be a bit slower.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

I would say, for your type of job it would be best to wait until you are in the country to apply. Very few people secure a job from outside of Aus, and they are normally in highly skilled professions or professions were the employers are struggling to fill a position from Australian candidates. If you are on the lower skilled side of things, you will have a lot of competition from others for a job. You will only be wasting your energy by applying now. A factory will not give you a job without seeing you or wait until you get here. Your best bet is applying for jobs when you arrive and also walking into work places with your CV yourself. This way employers can see you when you drop off the CV and put a face to your application. You can, in the mean time, look for jobs in your field on SEEK and make a list of possible employers you can visit and email once you are here. Do you research now and get your CV right so that you can spring into action as soon as you arrive. Good luck.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

There are not many food manufacturers or processors in Perth and they tend to be small- or medium-sized businesses. You would probably not have much luck applying now, but you could do your homework and look into the companies here and see if there are any courses you could do before you get here. It might be worthwhile looking for hospitality jobs, such as (coffee) barista, for example.

I found this website that might be useful looking for jobs: http://www.alljobs.com.au/find/food+...+jobs+in+perth, you will see that there are other links there. Other links:
http://vescofoods.com.au/careers
http://foodindustry.org.au/fia-members/
http://www.jobseeker.com.au/job/Food...ceaf47ee8a5525
http://www.ausfoodnews.com.au/

The 2 main supermarkets are Coles and Woolworths, then there's IGA and Farmer Jack's and various smaller places. Larger food companies, usually eastern states-based ones, such as Masterfoods (http://www.mars.com/global/careers-at-mars.aspx), employ people to go around the supermarkets stocking up their products and tidying up their displays (at least, that's what it looks like they're doing).