Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job: Dos and Donts by Consultants...

Job: Dos and Donts by Consultants...

Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:24 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Lightbulb Job: Dos and Donts by Consultants...

Heres are the Dos and Donts from Consultants that I encountered till date in my 1 month experience:
1. trim your resume to 3 pages
2. Give as much as detail as possible, dont worry about the pages. We dont mind reading 8 pages
3. Highlight your roles and responsiblities before Experience details
4. Your roles and responsiblities should go along with your Experince and projects
5. Please put references instead of will be provided later
6. Its optinal to put references, whats the point in putting it now
7. You are a Bachelor in Engineering but you should have got further education to secure the job (Damn it I do have my Post Grad. cant you see)
8. You are a worth resource since company looks at Bachelor Degree Atleast
9. You havent mentioned all the skilles you used in the project.
10. Why do you want to repeat the same skills for all the projects.
11. You have worked on almost all the spheres of IT what work do you prefer.
12. You have worked on almost all the spheres of IT and I think you can be right fit for any role.
13. You havent mentioned your address and Residency status in your resume.
14. Its ok not to mention your address in your resume since you are Premanent Resident. Just email id and phone will do.
15. Since 8 years you been working in Software Engineering we have roles for you ranging from 31k - 45k
16. I think you have 8 years of Exp. in Software Engineering you can look out for the range from 66K - 78K.
17. You are almost selected but we are waiting for the company the get the software contract.
18. You interivew has gone good but the company cant hire you till they are sure of getting the contract.
19. The company found you good on technical front. they havent given any feedback about your slection to the role yet.
20. I am glad to tell you that company has found you good in your technical skills. but they cant hire you for the Analyst position since they found better candidate.
21. I think 3:00p.m is best for telephone interview. Good Luck. (And bloody no one turns up on phone. Not even the consultant to apologize.)
22. I think there was a disturbance and confusion at our end. I would apologize and like to reschedule the interview same time tommow. Is it fine with you?

It makes me and sometime it makes me .
But my Lord knows I am real furstrated guy in this whole Melbourne at moment....
Please share your experience on this

Last edited by pandya_m; Jul 27th 2005 at 8:32 am.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:34 pm

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Default Re: Job: Dos and Donts by Consultants...

Originally Posted by pandya_m
Heres are the Dos and Donts from Consultants that I encountered till date in my 1 month experience:
Please share your experience on this
Good Help me.. Still making Resume..
I now have 12 versions of resumes...
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:07 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Help me.. Still making Resume..
I now have 12 versions of resumes...

I have a very low opinion of agents. I know there is a few people on here who work for agents so I'll hold my tongue... (a little bit )

One agency showed me how they'd "revamped" my CV for the Aussie market. They had shuffled a few sentences around They got annoyed when I failed the interview, promised me they would ring me again, and never did...

Until, a blindingly obvious job came up, and they offered to represent me for that. Except, I knew and they knew I could apply for it directly. So they spent a couple of days trying to convince me they could add a '4th dimension' to my application if they did it. (and of course take a cut)

They weren't to happy when I told them where to go.

ADL
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:40 pm

Lightbulb Re: Job: Dos and Donts by Consultants...

Originally Posted by A dogs life
if they did it. (and of course take a cut)

They weren't to happy when I told them where to go.

ADL
Valuable feeback.
No I havent formed any openion as yet about them as of yet.
I see beautiful girls... dont know anything about technical are asked to sort those high profile resumes... One agent literally wrote thanking me of educating her since she was not aware of any technical terms (the case she was handling) when I visited her office.
I think there is a communication gap at their end or they are
So now after giving me their valuable feedback they are making me

Are companies missing the right candidates by giving ownership of shortlisting candiates to some stupid agencies...
I have also encountered on thing about agents and agencies... they go by "word search" theory ( i mean literally using ctrl + f in word) keeping logic aside... in future i dont see its helping them... but now its not helping me...

Nyway, I cleared 2nd round of interivew with a company last week w/o any agent but applying directly... They asked me the package and all details when I will be joining and all... I have hoping to hear from them on Monday and you see now its.. Thursday... and no sign..
so I am learing some professionalism of so called Good citizens of the city ...
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:46 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Valuable feeback.
No I havent formed any openion as yet about them as of yet.
I see beautiful girls... dont know anything about technical are asked to sort those high profile resumes... One agent literally wrote thanking me of educating her since she was not aware of any technical terms (the case she was handling) when I visited her office.
I think there is a communication gap at their end or they are
So now after giving me their valuable feedback they are making me

Are companies missing the right candidates by giving ownership of shortlisting candiates to some stupid agencies...
I have also encountered on thing about agents and agencies... they go by "word search" theory ( i mean literally using ctrl + f in word) keeping logic aside... in future i dont see its helping them... but now its not helping me...

Nyway, I cleared 2nd round of interivew with a company last week w/o any agent but applying directly... They asked me the package and all details when I will be joining and all... I have hoping to hear from them on Monday and you see now its.. Thursday... and no sign..
so I am learing some professionalism of so called Good citizens of the city ...

I actually sat in an office on Monday morning explaining to an agent what CRM ( customer relationship management) was. And then he has the guts to say he can offer an extra dimension to my application if I go through him.

I don't think so, . If you've never heard of it, how the hell are you going to represent me better than ME

ADL
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by A dogs life
I actually sat in an office on Monday morning explaining to an agent what CRM ( customer relationship management) was. And then he has the guts to say he can offer an extra dimension to my application if I go through him.

I don't think so, . If you've never heard of it, how the hell are you going to represent me better than ME

ADL
I have high regards and salute all CRM and SAP engineers...
I think the company should provide those agents some sort of training so they dont mingle with people who are of that field ...
Its pretty absurd for me to digest such type of things, the whole list which i presented are my experiences of 3 weeks. I dont know how much I have to go through to get a job of my type
There is another consultant calling me tommorow. Now I have to hear her and bring out a new flavour of my Resume.
I guess getting a job is bitter then getting Visa
Getting Visa was not that tough. Applying for assessment and visa all things done by myself w/o help from any migrant agents...
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:30 am

21. I think 3:00p.m is best for telephone interview. Good Luck. (And bloody no one turns up on phone. Not even the consultant to apologize.)
22. I think there was a disturbance and confusion at our end. I would apologize and like to reschedule the interview same time tommow. Is it fine with you?
23. Do you have experience here in Australia? No, it will be immposible to get job now, you should wait few weeks (r u sure of getting me one after few weeks?)
24. Its doesnt matter if you have Australialian experience or not since you been to US couple of times on Busniess visa.
More coming...
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:35 am

guest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the rough

23. Do you have experience here in Australia? No, it will be immposible to get job now, you should wait few weeks (r u sure of getting me one after few weeks?)
24. Its doesnt matter if you have Australialian experience or not since you been to US couple of times on Busniess visa.
More coming...
Agencies the bottom line is they are in it for themselves they don't give a damn about you in reality, if you are a problem client they wont call you. You have to hound them and they offer you anything...........I just jacked a job after one day with an agency to take on a full time position.........they weren't happy at all !! But what are you supposed to do wait until you're unemployed and then concentrate on getting a permanent role ? I don't think so don't they realise that hardly anyone wants to be a temp.......no sick pay no holidays no overtime rates no rights hardly............and then they getb paid weekly for keeping you in a role therefore they aren't going to find you a better role when they place you are they ??
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:43 pm

Question Re: Job: Dos and Donts by Consultants...

Originally Posted by kiwiloverjohn
Agencies the bottom line is they are in it for themselves they don't give a damn about you in reality, if you are a problem client they wont call you. You have to hound them and they offer you anything...........I just jacked a job after one day with an agency to take on a full time position.........they weren't happy at all !! But what are you supposed to do wait until you're unemployed and then concentrate on getting a permanent role ? I don't think so don't they realise that hardly anyone wants to be a temp.......no sick pay no holidays no overtime rates no rights hardly............and then they getb paid weekly for keeping you in a role therefore they aren't going to find you a better role when they place you are they ??
I am wondering about what you are saying. Its a good point. But then why do all the consultants ask. Are you looking for permanent or contract Jobs...

I am still learing the technical and non-technical terminologie used here. Ok this is a thing I learnt today. In contract role (during contract period) you cannot withdraw the contract and take any other job till you finish your contract... This is real bad. I feel, its like a Bounded Labour.
Is there a real Law like that? Does not goverment do anything for such Bonded Labour type of jobs? Or are those laws made by the coorporates under the name of Law, cheating or misguiding candidates...
Can anyone let me know on this?
Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:35 am

guest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs down Re: Job: Dos and Donts by Consultants...

I am wondering about what you are saying. Its a good point. But then why do all the consultants ask. Are you looking for permanent or contract Jobs...

I am still learing the technical and non-technical terminologie used here. Ok this is a thing I learnt today. In contract role (during contract period) you cannot withdraw the contract and take any other job till you finish your contract... This is real bad. I feel, its like a Bounded Labour.
Is there a real Law like that? Does not goverment do anything for such Bonded Labour type of jobs? Or are those laws made by the coorporates under the name of Law, cheating or misguiding candidates...
Can anyone let me know on this?
I don't think that's correct, if you are on a contract you can give notice if you land a permanent role...look at it from the other angle, if they aren't happy with you they can fire you on the spot.

The reason they ask you if you want permanent or contract roles is because it is their responsibility to place you in those roles. If they place you in a a permanent role thy get a one off payment, if contract then they get a weekly fee, also there are people who like to be on contract so they can chop and change jobs as they want. On contract you have no holidays or sick pay however on contract you get paid a slightly higher rate to compensate you.
Always read the contract that you get from the agency and make sure you know what their terms and conditions are and the rules for terminating an employment.
I myself am glad to be rid of them as I find that although they pretend they are doing it in your interest they are only in it for themselves, thank god for my new job !!

Agency work gets
Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:36 am

I don't think that's correct, if you are on a contract you can give notice if you land a permanent role...look at it from the other angle, if they aren't happy with you they can fire you on the spot.

The reason they ask you if you want permanent or contract roles is because it is their responsibility to place you in those roles. If they place you in a a permanent role thy get a one off payment, if contract then they get a weekly fee, also there are people who like to be on contract so they can chop and change jobs as they want. On contract you have no holidays or sick pay however on contract you get paid a slightly higher rate to compensate you.
Always read the contract that you get from the agency and make sure you know what their terms and conditions are and the rules for terminating an employment.
I myself am glad to be rid of them as I find that although they pretend they are doing it in your interest they are only in it for themselves, thank god for my new job !!

Agency work gets
Thumbs down from me
Old Jul 29th 2005, 5:38 am

Thumbs down from me
hey it bounced... Silly me could not get what you said..
Old Jul 29th 2005, 5:42 am

Thats exactly I was thinking. So is there any law which can screw one up if the break the contract. Moreover I can say one thing, a person wants to leave he wont work how good performer he is...what can a company do for person who is perposefully dump, blind and dead???
On contract you have no holidays or sick pay however on contract you get paid a slightly higher rate to compensate you.
Yeup I understand that.
Agency work gets
Gets what??? done anyhow...?
Old Jul 29th 2005, 6:06 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats exactly I was thinking. So is there any law which can screw one up if the break the contract. Moreover I can say one thing, a person wants to leave he wont work how good performer he is...what can a company do for person who is perposefully dump, blind and dead???

Yeup I understand that.

Gets what??? done anyhow...?
I pity any agency that has had the misfortune to have to deal with you, I can hardly understand a single point in any of the posts you have made in this thread.
As someone who works as an IT recruitment consultant the only advice I can give you is to concentrate on improving your written english skills, I so hope your verbal communication skills are more advanced than your written ones.
Please dont venture over to Perth if you fail to find a suitable position in Melbourne.

Steve
Old Jul 29th 2005, 6:37 am

Thumbs up Re: Job: Dos and Donts by Consultants...

Originally Posted by steve99
I pity any agency that has had the misfortune to have to deal with you, I can hardly understand a single point in any of the posts you have made in this thread.
As someone who works as an IT recruitment consultant the only advice I can give you is to concentrate on improving your written english skills, I so hope your verbal communication skills are more advanced than your written ones.
Please dont venture over to Perth if you fail to find a suitable position in Melbourne.

Steve
I can see you got offened Sir..
Anyways there are heaps of jobs out here but I am a specialized person looking out roles in my domain. Maybe you have just entered IT, get some training and hands on with teminology in IT that should help you to understand my postings and peoples mind.
BTW that posting was not demonstrating my speaking or writing English ability skills but to open up whats goin in the minds of agents/Consultants. You will hardly understand this, since you are on of them
BTW tell me frankly how many words (not sentenses) can you figure out, dont you feel offended to call yourself as an agent

No offense plz. but the karmas I got revels many innocence people have been misguided by lot of agents.. And surviving on that. I hope you are not one among them hehe

Good Luck. You hold on to your job, I am comfortable in Melbourne no plans for Perth..

Last edited by pandya_m; Jul 29th 2005 at 6:44 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.