Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job in Brisbane, best areas to live.

Job in Brisbane, best areas to live.

Old Dec 5th 2011, 8:43 am
Just Joined

jamie_liverpool is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job in Brisbane, best areas to live.

Hi all,

Iv been offered a welding job in Brisbane, the details of the job are a little vague at the minute, all I know is that is through an agency from the uk, I get a sponsorship, visa, flights etc. My fiancé is going to come with me aswel as my dog.

As I'm unsure of were the job actually is in Brisbane it's obviously hard to look for were to live. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me off some nice, fairly quiet areas, maybe outside of the city slightly. Iv been looking myself but unsure of were to look. What should I expect to pay per week? Ideally we would like a house with a garden etc iv been told my wage would be about 1700 Aud a week, is this sufficient to have a good lifestyle as I realise Australia is alot more expensive to live than the uk.

Any help would be really appreciated and a massive help
Old Dec 5th 2011, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of
Default Re: Job in Brisbane, best areas to live.

Where in Brisbane is your job and how far are you willing to travel?
Old Dec 5th 2011, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

You would be able to live in Brisbane city if you get a 1 bed apartment. You can get fairly nice places for around 3-400 a week. Iv been looking myself for 3 months but iv been placed in Mackay now!

Look on www.brisrentals.com and www.realestate.com.au
Old Dec 5th 2011, 11:08 am
Just Joined

I'm not actually sure were the job is all I no is it's mig welding pipes in Brisbane at the minute, it's a bit of a rush job, apparently the customer is desperate for coded welders.

I'm looking for a nice suburb really, I dont mind travelling into Brisbane for work but I dont want it to be to far. We are age 24 and 23 with no kids if that helps?

Jamie
Old Dec 5th 2011, 11:59 am
Just Joined

The_Hallsters is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Kelvin Grove which is a nice area if a little quiet. We pay 490 bucks a week. I know that Tenerife, new farm, sprinhill etc are also in the same price range. these would all fairly close to the CBD. Its a one bed appartment in a complex with gym and pool if that helps
Old Dec 5th 2011, 5:45 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Is your wage $1700 before or after tax? If after, that's pretty good if before you need to work out what you'll get in your pocket (do you get LAFHA?).

Will your partner work too?

Rents are cheaper the further you move from the city but transport links are pretty good if you choose your suburb carefully.

Try to get more details on your job location and it'll be easier to give you good info.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

thats $1700 before tax. Yeah i think i am entitled to Lafha but as this job has only just come round and they want me out as soon as poss as well so my head is a bit battered! ha. How much is the LAFHA do you know? yeah my fiance will be working aswel.

Iv looked at the suggested areas and they look good. I was hoping more for a house with a garden to be honest, i understand that will be more expensive tho. iv read online camp hill is a nice leafy suburb aswel. sorry for all the questions like i said everything has gone so fast so im a bit stressed haha