Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job applications, why don't they reply?

Job applications, why don't they reply?

Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Job applications, why don't they reply?

Hi everyone,
Just wondering about something, as I am starting to get a bit of a complex, but I have started applying for jobs lately and I don't even get an acknowledgment. I know I am not there yet, but I do have my visa and I am willing to fly over for interview and start work, while the missus takes care of things over here, I mean a simple thanks, but no thanks, would do.

I understood when I didn't have my visa, but now not even a reply, can anyone shed any light on this, or do you think I should wait until we are finally over there?

Cheers for any advice from my expats friends, who have any experience in the same, or anyone involved in employment who are actually over there.

Thanks
D
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:32 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job applications, why don't they reply?

Originally Posted by Dicko
Hi everyone,
Just wondering about something, as I am starting to get a bit of a complex, but I have started applying for jobs lately and I don't even get an acknowledgment. I know I am not there yet, but I do have my visa and I am willing to fly over for interview and start work, while the missus takes care of things over here, I mean a simple thanks, but no thanks, would do.

I understood when I didn't have my visa, but now not even a reply, can anyone shed any light on this, or do you think I should wait until we are finally over there?

Cheers for any advice from my expats friends, who have any experience in the same, or anyone involved in employment who are actually over there.

Thanks
D
What do you do in the way of work?
Is there no recruitment agencies who may be able to help. That is how I got my job, but then again, I'm a nurse and Aus is desperate for us.
Sorry I cannot be more help - but may be able to help more if you are a nurse.
Cas
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
What do you do in the way of work?
Is there no recruitment agencies who may be able to help. That is how I got my job, but then again, I'm a nurse and Aus is desperate for us.
Sorry I cannot be more help - but may be able to help more if you are a nurse.
Cas

Hi Cas, I am currently employed as a Senior Production Engineer, I have applied for jobs in this industry as well as in my trade(sheetmetalworker/welder), which I have over 18 years experience in, but I dont get any replies, for either, I am beginning to think that they may think I am a chancer hoping to gain a job and then wanting them to sponsor me, which I dont need, as I always tell them I have my PR visa, so would be legal to work over there straight away.
To be honest I am a bit worried for my chances when we do finally land, as I dont have any Australian industry experience, would this count against me?

Thanks again for the advice though.
Cheers
D
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cas, I am currently employed as a Senior Production Engineer, I have applied for jobs in this industry as well as in my trade(sheetmetalworker/welder), which I have over 18 years experience in, but I dont get any replies, for either, I am beginning to think that they may think I am a chancer hoping to gain a job and then wanting them to sponsor me, which I dont need, as I always tell them I have my PR visa, so would be legal to work over there straight away.
To be honest I am a bit worried for my chances when we do finally land, as I dont have any Australian industry experience, would this count against me?

Thanks again for the advice though.
Cheers
D
All your good experience must account for something!
To get a more relevant response than mine why don't you put a new thread up saying what you do - you never know who may be online who could possibly help you directly. Good Luck.
Cas
Old Nov 11th 2004, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

I've given up sending off applications. I think if you do a job that is in great demand, such as nursing, then you can arrange a job before you go. I'm a PA and have found that no-one is going to take me seriously until I get out there. I've even scanned my visa and attached it to my applications and only applied to universities thinking that they may be more outward looking. I just hope that it doesn't take too long from when I arrive. the thought of giving up your job and just hoping for the best is a bit daunting :scared:
Old Nov 11th 2004, 7:02 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Hi everyone,

Thanks
D
Unfortunately this is how it is in Oz, even when you are there you will find you don't get replies. My hubby went for an interview and he is still waiting 2 years later to hear if he was sucessfull (obviously not!!!! strange because the interview went well). A friend of ours in Brissy applied for dozens of jobs before finally getting one 18 months later he received a couple of replies only
to the others that he applied for. It is obviously how they do things downunder.

Susan
Old Nov 11th 2004, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

,I always tell them I have my PR visa, so would be legal to work over there straight away.

D
Not strickly true, remember when you get to Oz you have to do another tra type thing to get your ARTC, most employers wont employ you without this.I think it's a Union thing.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 7:56 pm
sula

Hi Dicko,
Three years a go I lived in Brisbane and couldn't get a job and only ever received a couple of replies from employers (social worker). It can be soul destroying, especially when you are used to being in employment.

I returned to the UK with my family due to family reasons and plan to return in the New Year (Canberra). This time I will have a job to go to, which I managed to secure from the UK!

The moral of my story is never give up, you never know what might be waiting round the corner for you!

Good luck.

Sula

Old Nov 11th 2004, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sula
Hi Dicko,
Three years a go I lived in Brisbane and couldn't get a job and only ever received a couple of replies from employers (social worker). It can be soul destroying, especially when you are used to being in employment.

I returned to the UK with my family due to family reasons and plan to return in the New Year (Canberra). This time I will have a job to go to, which I managed to secure from the UK!

The moral of my story is never give up, you never know what might be waiting round the corner for you!

Good luck.

Sula
I agree, never give up.

There is no shortage of people on this site who have taken many months to find work on arrival in Aus. Not to say this will happen to you, only that persistance usually pays off. Also check that you are doing nothing technically wrong with your approach.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

Its very annoying I know.

I am a recruitment consultant and one of the reasons I came into it was because I got so frustrated with the responses I thought there was alot of opportunity to build up a good brand name with better customer service.

Dont get me wrong, agencies have to deal with a lot of ppl day in and out, but at the end of the day, its their job, and they/we need processes in place to attract clients and candidates.

It's a fiercely competitive business over here and unfortunatley a lot of recruiters are under pressure with the bottom line. That means they can only be interested in pleasing the client and closing deals. If you dont get onto their shortlist they dont care! Of course, thats not all agencies but there are alot like that.

We respond to all applicants regardless. Mainly this will be done by email but anyone who we have shortlisted/interviewed will be called. Occasionally a few may fall through the net, but we hope this doesnt happen often. It can be different of course if you have not applied for a specific job, where generally a receipt of your CV is sent and we then add the CV to the database.

My advice is to call anyone you have sent your CV to, esp. if its for a specific job. Unfortunatley finding a job is not as easy as sending in your CV and sitting back waiting for a response, you are probably one of a hundred and you need to sell yourself from the start, not just in an interview. Calling will probably put you in the top 10% and will at least give you an idea if your skills suit the job.

Also, use this as a way to gauge an agency, you are propably best off sending your CV to as many as possible, but then work out the ones which seem to work well with you and build a relationship with them. Its human nature for someone to try harder for someone once a relationship is established, or at least you will be on their radar more than others if a job comes up which suits your skills.

Finally, dont be disheartened just because an agency or company are not very professional in the recruitment process. Thats there problem and long term they will suffer with a bad name and poor relationships. Todays candidate is tomrrows client, and while it can be very hard to speak to everybody who comes thru the door its important for us at least to give feedback and honest feedback and expectations.

I have certainly found there is a huge variation of professionalism in this industry. there are a lot of ppl who come and go in the industry which may explain it.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 1:44 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CornishPasty
Its very annoying I know.

My advice is to call anyone you have sent your CV to, esp. if its for a specific job. Unfortunatley finding a job is not as easy as sending in your CV and sitting back waiting for a response, you are probably one of a hundred and you need to sell yourself from the start, not just in an interview. Calling will probably put you in the top 10% and will at least give you an idea if your skills suit the job.
I got the exact same advice from my partner (a recruitment consultant) when we first arrived over here. Unfortunately, not having experience in Australia will count against you as most employers prefer to employ someone who knows who the system works here. So you have to get past this barrier, and a CV and covering letter are just not enough to do that. Remember that most jobs will attract lots of applicants and someone skimming through will have a checklist of ideal skills and experience they will want to match potential recruits against. On paper, it is hard to convince someone to give you a chance when you haven't got the experience (ie Australian-based) they are looking for.

I HATED phoning people up, I found it very hard to do a sales job on myself despite working in PR! But I specifically got my first interview because I phoned up the recruitment agency and convinced them that I had the experience they were looking for, despite only having just arrived in the country. Okay, the job sucked and I didn't want it in the end, but it was a relief to finally get an interview at the very least.

The other useful thing my partner told me about the system over here is that the recruitment process is a lot slower, and people do take their time getting back to you. But if you've sent your CV off and not heard anything after a week or so, just call them to check they've got it and try and quickly tell them why you think you are good for the job.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 3:13 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Get a job before pushing off if at all possible. Target carefully. E-mail asking (nicely of course) if you can phone and who would be the best person to talk to for a minute or two and at what time. If talk and no openings, ask advice. Personal touch is best.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Jo Cousins will become famous soon enough

Hi Sue

Whereabouts in oz are you heading? Just out of curiousity that is all and just to give you a bit of advice. I am in Perth and a PA and am finding it near on impossible to get a job. I have done mundane admin since i arrived within temporary positions and every PA role I have applied for i have either received no response back or been pooo pooed as not having enough experience and being too young to earn a decent wage (I am 25 but have 5 yrs experience!).
Anyone in perth who needs a PA pls contact me!!!
Good luck sue anyhow

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
I've given up sending off applications. I think if you do a job that is in great demand, such as nursing, then you can arrange a job before you go. I'm a PA and have found that no-one is going to take me seriously until I get out there. I've even scanned my visa and attached it to my applications and only applied to universities thinking that they may be more outward looking. I just hope that it doesn't take too long from when I arrive. the thought of giving up your job and just hoping for the best is a bit daunting :scared:
Old Nov 12th 2004, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jo Cousins
Hi Sue

Whereabouts in oz are you heading? Just out of curiousity that is all and just to give you a bit of advice. I am in Perth and a PA and am finding it near on impossible to get a job. I have done mundane admin since i arrived within temporary positions and every PA role I have applied for i have either received no response back or been pooo pooed as not having enough experience and being too young to earn a decent wage (I am 25 but have 5 yrs experience!).
Anyone in perth who needs a PA pls contact me!!!
Good luck sue anyhow
Jo, have sent you a PM
Sue
Old Nov 12th 2004, 8:08 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by heading downunder 2002
Unfortunately this is how it is in Oz, even when you are there you will find you don't get replies. My hubby went for an interview and he is still waiting 2 years later to hear if he was sucessfull (obviously not!!!! strange because the interview went well). A friend of ours in Brissy applied for dozens of jobs before finally getting one 18 months later he received a couple of replies only
to the others that he applied for. It is obviously how they do things downunder.

Susan

Totally agree I went for an interview 2 months ago and still no news and it was an internal job. I think its disgusting but it seems to be the norm here. Hubby had an interview 8months ago and he did not hear either though he did not want the job so was not that bothered when he didn't hear from them.

Jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.