Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job application - feedback please :)

Wikiposts

Job application - feedback please :)

Old May 14th 2004, 12:13 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone
Ah, that sounds very good indeed. Thank you.
I'm sure they'll understand it, and otherwise I can explain it at the interview

Unfortunetly my work-based dissertation has nothing to do with marketing or anything international....
But, I am doing it for a company who's main objective is to provide work for people with a disability. And, why was UWA named employer of the year for 2 years? Yes, because they are good at making sure people with a disability can work at UWA, and have employed many. he he.

Good stuff - I'm the disability co-ordinator for the summer schools I run. I spend my life trying to secure better rights for disabled students in a university that is stuck in the dark ages when it comes to equal access. Better stop - I'll start ranting!
Old May 14th 2004, 12:22 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
Good stuff - I'm the disability co-ordinator for the summer schools I run. I spend my life trying to secure better rights for disabled students in a university that is stuck in the dark ages when it comes to equal access. Better stop - I'll start ranting!
Ah, cool! Yeah, I can imagine it getting frustrating!

Yeah, see here for the UWA's Equity and Diversity Office
http://www.equity.uwa.edu.au/welcome

And see here about winning the "Employer of the Year in the higher education category of the Prime Minister's Employer of the Year Awards"
http://www.uwa.edu.au/media/statemen...or_second_time

That's one of the reasons I included about it being a great employer in the letter. If I hadn't read that, I probably wouldn't have.
Old May 14th 2004, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all
Default thesis-dissertation

Simone,

For your thesis (what you are doing now) it compares to a bachelor with Honors in OZ (i live in switzerland and did a masters in oz and had to explain the whole thing that in switzerland you HAVE TO do honors (hence, the thesis - better to call it dissertation).

If you want more info on most of the schooling systems in Oz and Switerland - France etc I can help! just PM me, i did so much research on that subject¨!!!

good luck again and again and again
Old May 14th 2004, 1:31 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: thesis-dissertation

Originally posted by swissfabs
Simone,

For your thesis (what you are doing now) it compares to a bachelor with Honors in OZ (i live in switzerland and did a masters in oz and had to explain the whole thing that in switzerland you HAVE TO do honors (hence, the thesis - better to call it dissertation).

If you want more info on most of the schooling systems in Oz and Switerland - France etc I can help! just PM me, i did so much research on that subject¨!!!

good luck again and again and again
Thanyou thankyou thankyou
I'll send you a pm!

I have started a thread in the Lounge btw....
Old May 14th 2004, 10:25 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Simone,

how did the job application finally go?

D D
Old May 16th 2004, 7:21 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by DollyDaydream
Simone,

how did the job application finally go?

D D
Well, I've sent it all off.......

Got lots of help from here, and my dad too!

Now, fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!

Monday evening, Tuesday and Wednesday I will be away with school friends, sailing....
But I'm taking my mobile, and Pascal who's not coming, will check my email!!!!

God, I'm soooo nervous! On the one hand, it think I'd be able to get it if I was there, but I'm not! And if they're not willing to wait.....

Thanks again everyone

Simone

<having trouble getting onto the forum! On and off!! >
Old May 16th 2004, 7:54 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I've sent it all off.......

Got lots of help from here, and my dad too!

Now, fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!

Monday evening, Tuesday and Wednesday I will be away with school friends, sailing....
But I'm taking my mobile, and Pascal who's not coming, will check my email!!!!

God, I'm soooo nervous! On the one hand, it think I'd be able to get it if I was there, but I'm not! And if they're not willing to wait.....

Thanks again everyone

Simone

<having trouble getting onto the forum! On and off!! >

Simone,

Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Let us all know how you get on!

D D
Old May 23rd 2004, 6:59 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Didn't get it

I guess I shouldn't have got my hopes up

I called them, and she said I didn't make it through the selection progress...
Now I'm going to email, cos I'd like to know the reason(s), maybe I can learn from it.

Thanks for your help everyone! I've now at least got experience, and my resume is ready for the next job!

Oh, and now everyone fingers crossed for Pascal!! He's applied(sort of, asked for more info first) for a part time web designer job at UWA, thanks to Renth!!
Old May 23rd 2004, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Didn't get it

Now I'm going to email, cos I'd like to know the reason(s), maybe I can learn from it.

Thanks for your help everyone! I've now at least got experience, and my resume is ready for the next job!

Oh, and now everyone fingers crossed for Pascal!! He's applied(sort of, asked for more info first) for a part time web designer job at UWA, thanks to Renth!!

Sorry it didn't work out - I thought your application looked fine. Maybe you were over qualified?

Something good will come up soon I'm sure.

Good luck to Pascal
Old May 23rd 2004, 8:09 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by Jimbo9
Sorry it didn't work out - I thought your application looked fine. Maybe you were over qualified?

Something good will come up soon I'm sure.

Good luck to Pascal
Thanks

Nah, I think probably there were people better qualified, and probably Australians already in Australia, with Australian experience....
Old May 23rd 2004, 9:00 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Nah, I think probably there were people better qualified, and probably Australians already in Australia, with Australian experience....
Never mind Simone.

I've found a link to the book I used to put together my selection criteria response:

http://lloydwhite.iinet.net.au/TheBookContents.html

It tells you exactly what employers (mainly public sector or education) expect in a selection criteria response.

Keep plugging away and you'll get there in the end!
Old May 23rd 2004, 9:36 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by renth
Never mind Simone.

I've found a link to the book I used to put together my selection criteria response:

http://lloydwhite.iinet.net.au/TheBookContents.html

It tells you exactly what employers (mainly public sector or education) expect in a selection criteria response.

Keep plugging away and you'll get there in the end!
Thanks, I'll have to get that book, when I'm in WA I guess... Can't find it om amazon etc.
And I'll make longer answers to the selection criteria next time!!
Old May 24th 2004, 2:46 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be too hard on yourself Simone. I suspect it was almost entirely due to the fact that you aren't in Oz. If it was me shortlisting people for a similar job, I'd be the same - hesitant to give it to someone I couldn't interview. It would also be a risk offering a job to someone who's not settled in the country yet.

I'd definitely ask them for feedback though, and ask that they keep your details on file for future ref. The give them a call when you are settled in Perth.

Good luck to Pascal though!
Old May 24th 2004, 2:51 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't get it

Sorry to hear this Simone. It just means theres something even better out there for you.

But def worth following up on, and also once you arrive in in OZ, cos you never know what other jobs will come up with them.
Old May 24th 2004, 6:41 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Thanks ppl!

Update:
This is the feedback I got, very helpful (and I should've listened better to you lot about specific examples etc) Oh,and she does say it's a good application
Dear Simone,
I am happy to provide some feedback on your application.
Your application was certainly very good however the applicants that are
being interviewed were better able to illustrate their communication
skills and ability to work in a team.
For future applications I would suggest taking some time to give more
examples of your communication experience such as what types of
brochures you have written and what was your role in their production._
You might also like to think some more about how to illustrate working
in a team, how you were involved, what your role was, what the outcome
was and how did you make your contribution be heard._ From your example
in your application it was unclear as to the extent of your experience
outside study.
I hope these comments are of help to you.
Kind regards,

And Pascal:
Well, it was a parttime programmer job(so, not for him), BUT, there will be a full time designer job coming up, and they are interested in meeting him to 'discuss the position' when we arrive!!!!!
So, fingers crossed once again!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.