Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job application - feedback please :)

Wikiposts

Job application - feedback please :)

Old May 13th 2004, 7:57 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
If they really want you, they may consider a prelimary telephone interview. Although from my experience, our standard procedure is that if a candidate can't make the interview, they won't get the job. One thing that has happened here is that if there are a bunch of dud candidates and one good one who can't make the interview, we have occasionally re-advertised the post and called the good candidate to interview at that stage.

Yep, that's the only reason I can see that I won't get it! (and if there's others with even more experience/qualifications)

The thing is, I believe what makes me succesfull in always getting jobs, is my enthusiasm. And you can really show that at an interview...
But I've tried bringing that into the letter as well. Maybe others wouldn't use the words 'excited' and 'enthusiastic', but I am, that's who I am, and I think that's a good quality.....

Anway, I hope that last sentence helps, cos I really would fly out there! I believe more and more this is the perfect job!(for me)

:scared: :scared:
Old May 13th 2004, 7:59 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Larissa
Hiya Simone
Had a good read and will try to have another read after brekkie.
I would go with what Renth says - literally tick off each of the conditions and check that you have referre to them. Often interview panels have a checklist. I would try to sell yourself more - I will have a read again and try to come up with some more ideas. Don't worry about being over the top... I liked the bit about being willing to fly out early too.
Larissa
About to have another look
Thanks! (did you see the statement at them end?)
anyway, I'm going to add some stuff.

I really love that they give such a big job description too. I used sentences from that when describing my own experience.
Old May 13th 2004, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Simone
Had a good read and will try to have another read after brekkie.
I would go with what Renth says - literally tick off each of the conditions and check that you have referre to them. Often interview panels have a checklist. I would try to sell yourself more - I will have a read again and try to come up with some more ideas. Don't worry about being over the top... I liked the bit about being willing to fly out early too.
Larissa
About to have another look
D'Oh... just saw that you've done this...well done!
Old May 13th 2004, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone

The thing is, I believe what makes me succesfull in always getting jobs, is my enthusiasm. And you can really show that at an interview...
But I've tried bringing that into the letter as well. Maybe others wouldn't use the words 'excited' and 'enthusiastic', but I am, that's who I am, and I think that's a good quality.....

:scared: :scared:
That sounds good - I'd go ahead and use those words, so keep them in!
Hope it all goes to plan - we're gunning for you!
I'm really impressed with your application. It reads well, doesn't come across as "dutchy" and you've approached it in a thorough way. Fingers crossed!
Old May 13th 2004, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

This looks good Simone - and spookily like the one I've just put together for the Monash job I can't apply for!

Just one small thing....in you covering letter you mention that you have heard about UWA through people you met on the internet. I'd alter that a bit and put something like 'in conversation with aquaintances' or words to that effect. From my experience of sitting on shortlisting panels and interviewing candidates (for universoty positions), meeting people on the internet would set alarm bells ringing because of a) possible *geek* factor and b) the fact that you might be intending to spend all day on the internet at work!!! (which we know you will, but don't put it in your application!)

Renth's advice is very sound too - the more practical examples you can give the better.
Agree with Bundy - Instead of mentioning people you met thorugh the Internet I'd put "people I met while conducting research and from professional contacts" or something like that. It was the only thing that stood out for me - It looks a professional and conmprehensive application and hopefully you'll walk it !
Old May 13th 2004, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

//I am quite sure I would enjoy the wide variety of tasks and the international aspect of this position. I have also heard that UWA is a great employer, via the media, and two people I met on the Internet.

Hello Simone,

First of all, i think your application will definitly stand out because of its great quality. Not every applicant will have prepared such a good reply.

Just a thing, i would not say "i am quite sure" but say something like "I am positive, or certain" (check www.thesaurus.com)

And another thins, as i believe others have mentionned: "i have heard" change it for something more powerfu!!!!

GOOD LUCK! I wish I were you!!!! and calling on Monday is definitly a good idea.
fabie
Old May 13th 2004, 9:47 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Thank you all so much!

I've gotten such great tips!

Here's the newest version for anyone who's still interested.
I also deleted the sentence in the 'Extra' part of my resume, which said something about the world wide web and forums being a hobby.
That was to demonstrate helping out other people, and being interested in different cultures, but I think it would be better to leave it out.

I'm having trouble thinking of a good problem I solved using my cross-cultural awareness skills... But I've asked my dad to take a look at it too. hopefully he'll come up with something.

What do you guys think about the new sentence in there:
"While researching my remigration to Australia, I have come into contact with people from all over the world, and it is interesting to see the differences."

It's difficult how to word this without mentioning forums....
Anyone got any good idea's, or shall I leave it out?

Ok, newest version:
(has to be in by Tuesday. I wanted to get it in today, but it's now nearly 6 pm in Perth, so to late anway. I'll post it this afternoon, and email it tonight.....)
Attached Files
File Type: doc
application 2.doc (79.0 KB, 153 views)
Old May 13th 2004, 9:58 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Simone,
one point that struck me reading through your skill compliance statement was that for the heading "Knowledge and understanding of Australian and international educational systems" you have mentioned the Australian and Dutch education systems but could it be possible that you can also link this into the exchange students that stayed with your parents, plus other international students at your campus, by saying something along the lines of "basic knowledge of other educational systems obtained from various exchange student programs" ?
Old May 13th 2004, 10:35 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Simone,
one point that struck me reading through your skill compliance statement was that for the heading "Knowledge and understanding of Australian and international educational systems" you have mentioned the Australian and Dutch education systems but could it be possible that you can also link this into the exchange students that stayed with your parents, plus other international students at your campus, by saying something along the lines of "basic knowledge of other educational systems obtained from various exchange student programs" ?
Yeah, I could, but I would be lying.... I have NO idea! I know England has uni's and the technipoli(or something), and that Germany has Fachogeschole or something (like my 'University of Practical education') and I think Denmark also had 'hogescholen'.
But that's it, I don't know what America are like, the rest of Europe and Asia...
I'm even on a thin line about the Australian system. Don't know much about it.
The degrees/certificates/diploma's is confusing me, and and I know after Bacherlor comes Master and then Docorate, but that's it! But I'll get busy reading up on that

Oh, by the way, does everyone think 'thesis' is the best word for what I'm doing now? It's also sort of work experience too. I'm giving practical advise for one company, not a general theory advice about something.
Old May 13th 2004, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

A thesis/dissertation would be a detailed written report (usually very long!!), submitted for uni. I don't know if you could use it to refer to a company. It would be academically assessed.

Perhaps use the term "report" instead? Blim is writing a "manual" for his company... which has "procedures". Its a set of guidelines to follow. Perhaps someone else can advise, or you could tell us a bit more?
Old May 13th 2004, 11:37 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

A thesis/dissertation would be a detailed written report (usually very long!!), submitted for uni. I don't know if you could use it to refer to a company. It would be academically assessed.

Perhaps use the term "report" instead? Blim is writing a "manual" for his company... which has "procedures". Its a set of guidelines to follow. Perhaps someone else can advise, or you could tell us a bit more?

Yep, use something like Guidelines, Working Practice Report, Consultancy Report, Procedural Manual, Directive (if you're telling 'em what to do).
Old May 13th 2004, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Simone
Yeah, I could, but I would be lying.... I have NO idea! I know England has uni's and the technipoli(or something), and that Germany has Fachogeschole or something (like my 'University of Practical education') and I think Denmark also had 'hogescholen'.
But that's it, I don't know what America are like, the rest of Europe and Asia...
I'm even on a thin line about the Australian system. Don't know much about it.
The degrees/certificates/diploma's is confusing me, and and I know after Bacherlor comes Master and then Docorate, but that's it! But I'll get busy reading up on that
Perhaps try asking in the lounge? Then we could all give you a crash course?!
In England, we have universities. A few years ago, we used to have "Polytechnics", but they are all now universities. You also have further education colleges, which usually do more practical courses or access courses, to get into university.
Degrees are usually a three (sometimes 4) year course, studied full time at uni. Most people go straight from school, having 3 done "A" levels, which are very intense. Others go to college, do access courses. This is usually for a year and is a taster to the actual degree course. Many older students have done this course.
Certificates - this varies. I did a Post Graduate (meaning after-degree) Certificate in Education, meaning I did a years conversion course, to qualify as a teacher.
Most degrees are bachelor degrees nowadays, they are better than ordinary degrees, officially recognised etc.
A Masters degree is a taught course (lectures, set work) and usually lasts for a year.
A PhD, or doctorate (as you will be a "doctor" at the end, but not a medical doctor necessarily) lasts for about 3 to 6 years. It involves a lot of work that you have to do yourself, but you will have a supervisor. Many people get part time work, or lecture to get enough money. You have to write a very detailed report, which you then have to present to a board. You have an interview etc. They can then pass it, or tell you to modify/ rewrite it.
Old May 13th 2004, 11:58 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Oops, I guess I should've said it's for uni too.
It will be assessed. First the 'directive' will get a grade.
Then the procces report will get a grade. This will be combined to one grade.
Together, I guess this can be called thesis or disertation. It's detailed, and it's long(each report maybe 30 pages... is that long?)
That is submitted to uni 5 days for the examination talk, with two examiners. I will give a 10 minute talk and give a 'helicopterview' of my findings, and end with a thesis in one sentence ( I just looked up the Dutch word I wanted to use, and it said thesis.....!!)
Then we discuss, and they ask questions.
Immediately after I get a grade for the talk.

These 2 grades will be my graduating grades... That will be some day in the last two weeks of July. So then I have one or 2 weeks off (in that time I COULD fly to Perth), and then on July 9th is the Graduation Ceremony.

Larissa! Thanks! So, England is practically the same as Oz, with 'Further Education Colleges' in the UK, being the same as 'TAFE" in Oz.

In Holland it's a bit different, because we have something in between a real uni and the TAFE stuff.
This is what I am doing: they call it in English 'University of practical education'(in Dutch it is Hogeschool).
These only do the Bachelor courses (since we now also have bachelor/master). These nearly always take 4 years, and usually have 1 whole year of workexperience.
If you make it through the first year, you either keep going, or go to a 'real' university to do another bachelor or master.
So, that's just some background info...

I think I'll go and put that post up in the Lounge! Good idea. Then I can at least say I have 'basic understanding', and say it is because of those exchange students(which it is partly I guess).
Thanks again
Old May 14th 2004, 12:02 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

You could use the word 'project', Simone - even 'worked-based project' or 'work-based dissertation'. My brother has just handed in his final piece of uni work and his is termed 'a work-based dissertation'
Old May 14th 2004, 12:10 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

You could use the word 'project', Simone - even 'worked-based project' or 'work-based dissertation'. My brother has just handed in his final piece of uni work and his is termed 'a work-based dissertation'
Ah, that sounds very good indeed. Thank you.
I'm sure they'll understand it, and otherwise I can explain it at the interview

Unfortunetly my work-based dissertation has nothing to do with marketing or anything international....
But, I am doing it for a company who's main objective is to provide work for people with a disability. And, why was UWA named employer of the year for 2 years? Yes, because they are good at making sure people with a disability can work at UWA, and have employed many. he he.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.