Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job advice and tips

Job advice and tips

Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:17 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job advice and tips

This time in two weeks we shall be in Perth and will need to look for work straight away.

Does anyone have any tips about searching for jobs, we will more than likely be living in the city - West Leederville/Subi, although will go where the work is.

Mr PP is a chef and applied for a job the other week with his company - Compass Group and had a 'you have been unsuccessful' type of reply this morning. (well it was worth a try).

If anyone has any applying for job tips that might help that would be great. It is very daunting searching for jobs from this end and actually quite scary.

I haven't even began searching for myself as I don't know which area I will end up working in - vet nursing or admin work - actually I will give anything a try to be honest.

Anything that might help would be great, suggestions welcome.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:19 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Job advice and tips

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
This time in two weeks we shall be in Perth and will need to look for work straight away.

Does anyone have any tips about searching for jobs, we will more than likely be living in the city - West Leederville/Subi, although will go where the work is.

Mr PP is a chef and applied for a job the other week with his company - Compass Group and had a 'you have been unsuccessful' type of reply this morning. (well it was worth a try).

If anyone has any applying for job tips that might help that would be great. It is very daunting searching for jobs from this end and actually quite scary.

I haven't even began searching for myself as I don't know which area I will end up working in - vet nursing or admin work - actually I will give anything a try to be honest.

As soon as you get here buy the West Australian newspaper. Jobs galore in there.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:27 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
As soon as you get here buy the West Australian newspaper. Jobs galore in there.
It would have been so nice for Mr PP to stick with his company, I suppose he can try and approach them again once he is in Perth.

Chef/cook - whatever, anything would be a start. Failing that I can always put him out as a stripper.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:30 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

It would have been so nice for Mr PP to stick with his company, I suppose he can try and approach them again once he is in Perth.

Chef/cook - whatever, anything would be a start. Failing that I can always put him out as a stripper.
Don't panic too much, there is plenty of work here. I had loads of interviews when i got here, but decided not to work because of the kids. The pay may be lower, but depends what you want to do.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Don't panic too much, there is plenty of work here. I had loads of interviews when i got here, but decided not to work because of the kids. The pay may be lower, but depends what you want to do.
We will work anywhere
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:41 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

can't answer on the vet side of it

but shit loads of admin in the paper and through the agencies Sam!

again cant help with the chef thing but when i pick u up i shall have the paper for you
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:48 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Compass have loads of jobs going up in the mines and they pay very well but I doubt that would be your preference. I think they are called ESS up there. I am not sure what they have in the city. At least you know if all else fails he can go 9 and 5 on $100K+ up north as a fall back in which case you wouldn't be under pressure to work immediately.

There are more independent chains here than in the UK. As Rachel said, try the West on Wednesday or either of you could just walk into every restaurant / vets in the area and get a job within a week I reckon.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Sam
can't answer on the vet side of it

but shit loads of admin in the paper and through the agencies Sam!

again cant help with the chef thing but when i pick u up i shall have the paper for you
Cheers Sam

Originally Posted by worzel
Compass have loads of jobs going up in the mines and they pay very well but I doubt that would be your preference. I think they are called ESS up there. I am not sure what they have in the city. At least you know if all else fails he can go 9 and 5 on $100K+ up north as a fall back in which case you wouldn't be under pressure to work immediately.

There are more independent chains here than in the UK. As Rachel said, try the West on Wednesday or either of you could just walk into every restaurant / vets in the area and get a job within a week I reckon.
I think I have to try and take a step back and get there first, its so hard because I get worried and want everything at once - work/house wise.

Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I read in the news here, the hospitality industry is so short of people that Mr PP will not have any trouble finding a job.

The West Australian on a Saturday has pages and pages of jobs.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
From what I read in the news here, the hospitality industry is so short of people that Mr PP will not have any trouble finding a job.

The West Australian on a Saturday has pages and pages of jobs.
Excellent hoofie Very reassuring to read.

Ive got to sort out my own CV tonight.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:18 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

You can also look at the West Australian online www.thewest.com.au

The Wednesday and Saturday editions have the jobs in, so the website probably gets refreshed the day night before that, i.e. new jobs should be on there now.