Jet Skies

Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:04 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough
Default Jet Skies

My son and I would really like to get a jet ski when we get out to the Gold Coast next year. Before I make any definete decision on whether we would like to get one i've been trying to get some idea of how much they may cost.

I would be looking for a second hand 2 seater jet ski in fairly good condition. I've tried searching the interent and can't seem to find any second hand jet ski dealers with prices. Does anybody know roughly how much a jet ski would set me back. I know there's probably different makes and obviously different prices but at first I'd only be looking or a standard model (not after anything special or flash at first).

Thanks.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:13 am

pom04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jet Skies

Originally Posted by elksa
My son and I would really like to get a jet ski when we get out to the Gold Coast next year. Before I make any definete decision on whether we would like to get one i've been trying to get some idea of how much they may cost.

I would be looking for a second hand 2 seater jet ski in fairly good condition. I've tried searching the interent and can't seem to find any second hand jet ski dealers with prices. Does anybody know roughly how much a jet ski would set me back. I know there's probably different makes and obviously different prices but at first I'd only be looking or a standard model (not after anything special or flash at first).

Thanks.
We are just looking at buying one from polaris dealer on the gold coast - to get an idea brand new one is from $12000 to $18,000 - for second hand ones then some dealers do have them which have been part exchanged approx $8000 for a 99/2000 model - a lot are sold second hand from what I can gather as people apparenlty soon get a bit bored - this hasnt detered hubbie one bit who is after a new one before xmas - also a lot are sold through local trader type papers etc - try www.jetskiparts.com.au - thats the polaris dealer (and he is a decent bloke - not trying to rip people off )- we have been to - should hopefully be a few second hand ones on there - u have to take a boat licence test to have one and this costs about $200/$250 - Im not an expert but hope this helps (PS insurance costs about $500 per year)
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:22 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

Originally Posted by pom04
We are just looking at buying one from polaris dealer on the gold coast - to get an idea brand new one is from $12000 to $18,000 - for second hand ones then some dealers do have them which have been part exchanged approx $8000 for a 99/2000 model - a lot are sold second hand from what I can gather as people apparenlty soon get a bit bored - this hasnt detered hubbie one bit who is after a new one before xmas - also a lot are sold through local trader type papers etc - try www.jetskiparts.com.au - thats the polaris dealer (and he is a decent bloke - not trying to rip people off )- we have been to - should hopefully be a few second hand ones on there - u have to take a boat licence test to have one and this costs about $200/$250 - Im not an expert but hope this helps (PS insurance costs about $500 per year)
Thanks, didn't realise you needed a license to drive one. What's the score with 12 year olds then. Will he not be able to drive it until he's passed his test and if so how old do you have to be to take the test. What is this boat test? would I have to learn how to steer a boat and navigate, etc... or is it like a driving theory test whereby you just have to know the laws, etc...

When I was on holiday in Cyprus I drove a jet ski without passing a test and a neighbour of ours is in Oz now. We've seen videos of her riding a jet ski but she hasn't taken a test.

The plot thickens
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:35 am

Thanks, didn't realise you needed a license to drive one. What's the score with 12 year olds then. Will he not be able to drive it until he's passed his test and if so how old do you have to be to take the test. What is this boat test? would I have to learn how to steer a boat and navigate, etc... or is it like a driving theory test whereby you just have to know the laws, etc...

When I was on holiday in Cyprus I drove a jet ski without passing a test and a neighbour of ours is in Oz now. We've seen videos of her riding a jet ski but she hasn't taken a test.

The plot thickens
Just asked hubbie

He seems to think that to drive one u must have the licence - however if for example a friend was with him - friend could drive it as long as hubbie was on the back - we have been told this after attending the boat show in brisbane - police are keen on gold coast - they will check u have a licence and will even breathalise u - !! When u drive one on holidays - the case is that the company hiring the ski will have the public liability insurance

Re the test - u go for a quick boat lesson eg steering the boat - pick a lifejacket up out of the water etc and then do a theory test - thats it - nothing too hard we have been assurred

I will try and find out from friends at work tomorrow re the issue of your son - I work on the coast and hence lots of folk with skis - boats etc so someone should know

Try looking on this website - www.bundallboat.com.au - all the rules etc should be available on there - I think!!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:42 am
ABCDiamond

I just looked on a couple of Jet Ski hire places, and they say "No License Required"
http://www.hervey.com.au/TorquayHire/default.htm
http://www.hellogoldcoast.com.au/sha...smoreinfo.html
Both QLD, so it may be different in other States.

Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I just looked on a couple of Jet Ski hire places, and they say "No License Required"
http://www.hervey.com.au/TorquayHire/default.htm
http://www.hellogoldcoast.com.au/sha...smoreinfo.html
Both QLD, so it may be different in other States.
Licence not required to hire - but when you own your own its a different matter
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:50 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if you would need a boat license for a jet ski but you do need to comply with local bylaws and observe correct collision rules and other regulations like life jacket wearing . Try searching for Personal Watercraft as thats the technical definition for the jet ski here.
If a licence is required then the minimum age is 16 [page 4 of the guide to recreational boating in QLD] There is no info in the book regarding licencing for jet skis though.

You can be prosecuted if you flout the laws here. Check the story below

Jet ski prosecution
Learning from marine incidents
On a fine clear afternoon, two friends each rode a personal
water craft (PWC) or jet ski through the Gold Coast Seaway.
On the return journey both men were travelling on the
south side of the Seaway. Due to an incoming tide, the swell
had increased since the outward jouney, reaching about two
metres.
Because his new PWC required ‘running in’, one of the
riders rode slowly at between 10 and 15 km/h. The other
rider pulled alongside the slower PWC before accelerating
to be some distance ahead. The faster rider then turned
180°. Without being aware that the other rider was travelling
behind a swell, the rider of the outbound PWC rode over the
same swell at speed, becoming airborne.
The airborne PWC landing on top of the other, striking the
rider on the left hand side and connecting with the PWC.
Seeing that the rider from the slower PWC had been thrown
into the water, the rider from the outbound PWC jumped into
the water, assisting his friend onto his PWC before they both
rode back to shore.
The injured rider was taken to a Brisbane hospial where he
received medical attention for a broken left collar bone and
other minor injuries. Substantial damage was done to both
craft.
The rider of the faster PWC, who had no prior marine
convictions, was prosecuted for contravening the general
safety obligation as outlined in the Transport Operations
(Marine Safety) Act.

The lessons:
 Large swells on the day of the incident
prevented the two riders from maintaining
visual contact with each other at all times.
Skippers of all craft should be continually
aware that large swells can obscure visibility.
 The offending rider failed to proceed over
a large swell at a safe speed and did not
maintain a proper lookout. A safe speed
should be maintained when riding PWCs,
particularly when large swells can obscure
vision and the rider is not 100 per cent certain
that other craft are in the area.

Full story is here http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/MSQ.nsf/ReferenceLookup/seascape_volume_3_1.pdf/$file/seascape_volume_3_1.pdf
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:59 am
ABCDiamond

I found a couple of things about this:

QLD
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/rec_licence
Currently:
A licence is required to operate any recreational boat which is powered by a motor of more than 4.5kW (over 6HP), is capable of speeds in excess of 10 knots and has a planing or non-displacement hull.
From 1 September 2005 you must have a valid marine licence to operate a recreational boat with an engine power greater than 4.5 kW or six horsepower.

VICTORIA
http://www.biavic.com.au/sections/ma...lay.asp?pid=15
Recreational boat operators under the age of 21 years and all operators of Personal Water Craft (PWC's), more commonly known as Jet Ski's require a licence.

Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:07 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

Would definetly be interested in knowing whether my son can ride it on his own or whether he could ride it with me on the back. It's not to big a deal me getting a boating license if that's what you have to do but he's the one who's really looking forward to being able to ride it when he gets out there. If he's not going to be able to do this I'm going to have to let him know now before he get's to excited.

Could it be a case of needing a license if your going out beyond certain points, whereas if your just using it within the coast line you don't?

Is insurance for riding a jet ski compulsory? or is it at the riders own risk?
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:12 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Is insurance for riding a jet ski compulsory? or is it at the riders own risk?
It would work out very expensive if you were to kill or injure someone. It does happen.

Also I think the novelty would soon wear off ( as pom04 has said)
and the whole excercise may prove a waste of money.

G
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:20 am
ABCDiamond

I know nothing about Jet Skis, and was just wondering if they came in differing engine sizes, with some less than 6hp, to get around the licence, so I had a look, and confirmed that I new nothing about them
Average engine size I found was 100-120hp !!

I am interested in knowing how, and why, the hire companies can hire them without licences being required.

For those that are interested:
Queensland's boat licensing fees - which are among the lowest in Australia are currently (as at 1 July 2004) $A33.95 for a life-time Recreational Marine Driver Licence.

Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:32 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I know nothing about Jet Skis, and was just wondering if they came in differing engine sizes, with some less than 6hp, to get around the licence, so I had a look, and confirmed that I new nothing about them
Average engine size I found was 100-120hp !!

I am interested in knowing how, and why, the hire companies can hire them without licences being required.

For those that are interested:
Queensland's boat licensing fees - which are among the lowest in Australia are currently (as at 1 July 2004) $A33.95 for a life-time Recreational Marine Driver Licence.
These companies probably pay a premium to enable anyone to ride it and be covered by the companies insurance. Similiar situation to company cars whereby I can drive any company car under the companies car insurance scheme.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
It would work out very expensive if you were to kill or injure someone. It does happen.

Also I think the novelty would soon wear off ( as pom04 has said)
and the whole excercise may prove a waste of money.

G
Don't know what it's like in Queensland but thankfully around here, jetskis are banned from beaches. There are only specific places where you can use them as most people have got fed up with having their peaceful day at the beach disturbed by the hoons that mostly drive those things....
Old Nov 16th 2004, 12:22 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
Don't know what it's like in Queensland but thankfully around here, jetskis are banned from beaches. There are only specific places where you can use them as most people have got fed up with having their peaceful day at the beach disturbed by the hoons that mostly drive those things....
What a lot of people don't seem to realise when they hire Jet skis etc. in Europe is that they will probably not be covered by their travel insurance.

Jet skis are gangerous especially when combined with youth and alcohol

That is apart from them being a nuisance at times.

OK if well away from swimmers I suppose.

G
Old Nov 16th 2004, 9:32 pm
ABCDiamond

These companies probably pay a premium to enable anyone to ride it and be covered by the companies insurance. Similiar situation to company cars whereby I can drive any company car under the companies car insurance scheme.
I suppose that's handy, but I still see something wrong somewhere.

A tourist with no experience can hire one, and if something happens the insurance company pay out.
But someone who owns one, and has a licence, may not have insurance.

It would be the same principle as saying that you need a driving licence to drive a car if you own it, but if you just hire one then you don't need a driving licence, as the hire companies insurance will cover any accidents.

Maybe there is more to it than is meeting my eye

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.